Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Another Bungal suspended

OK......anybody that has been on this site for the last year knows how much I loath the Bengals. But geesh.....how can a player get suspended for something that actually happened BEFORE he played in the NFL?????

I can't say I disagree with Bungals fans about being confused about this one.

Bengals DE Frostee Rucker appealing proposed 1-game suspension from league

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
August 29, 2007

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Bengals defensive end Frostee Rucker is appealing a proposed one-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, the result of settling a domestic violence case in April.

If he loses the appeal, Rucker will become the third Bengals player suspended by the league for the Sept. 10 season opener. Commissioner Roger Goodell has suspended receiver Chris Henry for the first eight games for repeatedly violating the NFL's conduct policy.

Middle linebacker Odell Thurman was suspended for last season for violating the league's substance abuse policy. His request for reinstatement was denied by Goodell, who decided he should sit out the 2007 season as well.

Rucker is one of 10 Bengals who faced criminal charges during a 14-month span. His case resulted from an incident in 2005, when he was at Southern California.

"We're confident in the merits of our appeal of the suspension," agent J.R. Rickert said. "We're not aware of any case where the personal conduct policy has been applied to a person for an offense that occurred while they were in college."

The Bengals declined to comment on the proposed suspension, which was first reported Wednesday by FOXSports.com.

"We are aware of the report, but we have no definitive communication from the league," spokesman Jack Brennan said. "Until then, we won't have any further comment."

Rucker was accused of getting into a fight with his girlfriend at a party he was hosting in Los Angeles in August 2005. Misdemeanor charges were filed in June 2006 -- two months after he was drafted by the Bengals.

Rucker faced two counts each of battery and vandalism. Prosecutors said the woman sustained minor injuries, and her Blackberry and cell phone were damaged. A charge of false imprisonment later was added.

Last April 30, Rucker settled the case with a plea agreement. He pleaded no contest to one count of vandalism and one count of false imprisonment, and the rest of the charges were dropped.

He was sentenced in Los Angeles Superior Court to three years on probation and 750 hours of community service. He also was ordered to get treatment for domestic violence and pay a $520 fine.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts
Default Re: Another Bungal suspended

I guess Goodell is basing the suspension on the fact that the misdemeanor charges were filed 2 months after he was drafted by the Bengals? Still kinda seems like overkill.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,837 Times in 4,486 Posts

bengalfans arent confused, they are just retarded.

its quite simple. the nfl has been sending a loud message that they dont want these thugs tarnishing its image ANYMORE. the fact that the bengals kept this guy as opposed to releasing him in the 1st rounds of roster cuts yesterday was not only a sign the bengals are completely stupid, but was probably viewed as the bengals thumbing their nose at the current wishes and procedures and efforts of the league to clean up this riff-raff.

frostee is 1 beer commercial viewing away from another arrest, and goodell is clearly saying "can you hear me now?"

the nfl is actually doing the bengals a favor by giving them a built in excuse to cry about when they fall on their face again this year.

now that the von oelhoffen excuse has expired they can shout "WHAAAAAA!!!!!, the big, bad, mean NFL keeps suspending our key players! its a conspiracy!"

if the bengals wont throw out there own garbage, goodell is showing his is willing to do a little heavy lifting himself.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
now that the von oelhoffen excuse has expired they can shout "WHAAAAAA!!!!!, the big, bad, mean NFL keeps suspending our key players! its a conspiracy!"
Actually it hasn't.

Von Oelhoffen still gets blamed all the time and Brett's hit on Campbell has just stirred a lot of them all over again.

Apparently, according to a lot of guys I've talked to, the defensive line coach teaches them to tackle ... like this...

But, yes. The e-mail went out to all 23 of their fans last week.

"We are now switching tactics. Goddell is now the enemy and the Steelers/Rooney are his lap dogs."

There are actually people who are convinced that Rooney and Goddell are working together to ruin the Bengals because we fear them so much.

Rooney hires a black coach. Goddell takes care of a few... hell.. their team.

I'm sure you've heard this Tony, since you alluded to "the conspiracy," but I don't know if anyone else did.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
bengalfans arent confused, they are just retarded.

its quite simple. the nfl has been sending a loud message that they dont want these thugs tarnishing its image ANYMORE. the fact that the bengals kept this guy as opposed to releasing him in the 1st rounds of roster cuts yesterday was not only a sign the bengals are completely stupid, but was probably viewed as the bengals thumbing their nose at the current wishes and procedures and efforts of the league to clean up this riff-raff.

frostee is 1 beer commercial viewing away from another arrest, and goodell is clearly saying "can you hear me now?"

the nfl is actually doing the bengals a favor by giving them a built in excuse to cry about when they fall on their face again this year.

if the bengals wont throw out there own garbage, goodell is showing his is willing to do a little heavy lifting himself.
Not that I care about Frostee Rucker being suspended one game...he wouldn't play anyway, might not even make the final roster, but I don't see how you can suspend a guy for something he did while he was still in college.

I guess that means Matt Schaub, Marlin Jackson, Ryan Tucker, Terrell Suggs, Richie Incognito, Warren Sapp, Claude Wroten, Laveranues Coles, Ricky Manning Jr., and every other player who got in trouble in college will be out for the first game of the season. Nevermind, they don't play for the Bengals...they'll be fine.

I get the whole sending a message thing by Goodell, but this is a little ridiculous. I never bought into the whole Bengal profiling thing, but this kind of stuff makes me wonder.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,837 Times in 4,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
Not that I care about Frostee Rucker being suspended one game...he wouldn't play anyway, might not even make the final roster, but I don't see how you can suspend a guy for something he did while he was still in college.

I guess that means Matt Schaub, Marlin Jackson, Ryan Tucker, Terrell Suggs, Richie Incognito, Warren Sapp, Claude Wroten, Laveranues Coles, Ricky Manning Jr., and every other player who got in trouble in college will be out for the first game of the season. Nevermind, they don't play for the Bengals...they'll be fine.

I get the whole sending a message thing by Goodell, but this is a little ridiculous. I never bought into the whole Bengal profiling thing, but this kind of stuff makes me wonder.
how many of those players you mention are products of tagliabues, "look the other way as long as the player has talent and can contribute to plays on the field" attitude?

theres a new sheriff in town. why dont people get this? what tags was more than happy to turn a blind eye on, goodell simply isnt.

i say screw the bungles. not because i think they suck but because i am looking at this from a marketting point of view. tagliabu's lacidaisical approach to thugs being cornerstones of the league and faces of the nfl (l. taylor for example) created monsters such as vick, pac man, and henry.

pull the cover over your heads and pretend that 10 arrests in 9 months doesnt exist. minimize it if you want. but the fact is the nfl was on the verge of heading down the same road as the nba, where cornrows, baggy jeans, and rap albums was gonna be a main focal point and more of a selling point than to the actual players contributions on the court/field. the endzone dance has become the nfl's version of the dunk. in the mean time. the "me, me, me, lets highlight on sportscenter" attitude is wrecking the fundamentals of the game and pushing away lifelong fans.

dont think the nfl is gonna institute a pre-game "dress code" to ensure this doesnt happen.. nfl has had a dress code for years and it even targets doofy white guys like p. manning who wanna wear a different color of kicks to honor a dead legend.

goodell is niping the problem at its roots, and as of now, those roots are firmly embedded in the fertile soil of paul brown field. if the bunglefans dont like it i suggest they quit buying tons of henry, johnson, and housh merchandise, and set paul brown back $967 bucks. at that point, i am sure he will get the message, and goodell will no longer have to attempt to run the team for him.

sometimes you just wanna spank other peoples children. most times it is warranted.

i cant wait to see what Reverend Warden Attorney Coach (and i use that term loosely) Lewis has to say about this one.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:52 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
how many of those players you mention are products of tagliabues, "look the other way as long as the player has talent and can contribute to plays on the field" attitude?

theres a new sheriff in town. why dont people get this? what tags was more than happy to turn a blind eye on, goodell simply isnt..
Goodell wasn't even commissioner when Rucker was charged with his misdemeanors...Frostee was charged in June 2006, Goodell took office in September 2006. I'm sorry, but that is a reach.

I'm all for cleaning up the league, but when you start playing favorites and try to make an example of an entire team, that's when it's crossing the line. Odell is suspended for two years for skipping a drug test and getting a DUI. Jared Allen is suspended for four games (which is later reduced to 2 games by Goodell) for getting 2 DUI's in a 2-month span. Frostee Rucker gets a one-game suspension for something he did in college while Goodell was still the Chief Operating Officer. Yet, Joey Porter only gets a slap-on-the-wrist fine for assaulting another NFL player just this offseason.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:58 AM   #8
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Hey, we might not have the sportswriters drooling over us, but at least we have the Big Thug Buster on our side!

Seriously though, I tend to agree this is a little far. It's not a recent thing, hardly worth suspending for. I agree with CantStop58, Porter really should have gotten something stiffer.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:57 AM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Things are just getting better for the Bungals aren't they?

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:11 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
Goodell wasn't even commissioner when Rucker was charged with his misdemeanors...Frostee was charged in June 2006, Goodell took office in September 2006. I'm sorry, but that is a reach.

I'm all for cleaning up the league, but when you start playing favorites and try to make an example of an entire team, that's when it's crossing the line. Odell is suspended for two years for skipping a drug test and getting a DUI. Jared Allen is suspended for four games (which is later reduced to 2 games by Goodell) for getting 2 DUI's in a 2-month span. Frostee Rucker gets a one-game suspension for something he did in college while Goodell was still the Chief Operating Officer. Yet, Joey Porter only gets a slap-on-the-wrist fine for assaulting another NFL player just this offseason.
I agree with Tony that the Bengals are not being targeted because they have the most thugs...but rather they are being targeted because of Marvin Lewis's ATTITUDE in regards to his thugs...I think the commish has had enough of Marvin talking out of both side of his face...pretending that he is in full cooperation with Goodell while minimizing his players conduct.
....and for the record, Rucker is a thug of the first order..he not only is dealing with this spousal battery situation but he was charged in Colorado in 2003 for sexual assault and indecent exposure. He eventually accepted a one-year deferred sentence on a misdemeanor harassment charge. On that merit alone, Goodell has a reason to believe that Rucker isnt a victim of making A mistake.... but rather, he is showing a trend in conduct that Goodell won't tolerate if he wants to stay in the NFL.
(emphasis on the word..."trend")
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote