Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,172 Times in 2,655 Posts
Default ben still overlooking opponents?

i only find this little debate significant because i think this attitude was what caused us (and more specifically, ben) to lose the game against the raiders last year as opposed to a concussion....

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_524784.html

Quote:
Brown: John, what is wrong with this picture? The starting quarterback has to sneak up to a meeting room so he can watch tape of the team (that, by the way, is applied loosely to the Cleveland Browns) that the Steelers will play in their regular-season opener. Geez, I can see Mike Tomlin telling us media hacks that the Steelers aren't mailing in their final preseason games but telling his players not to look past the Panthers and ahead to the Browns? Tonight's game is for the players that are fighting for a roster spot and not much else. Let Ben Roethlisberger get a jump on preparing for the Browns if that's what he wants. Heck, encourage him to do that.

Harris: Tomlin said he wants the players to focus on preparing for a short week featuring a Thursday night game following a Sunday contest. It just so happens the Steelers play a Sunday game at home against Jacksonville on Dec. 16 followed by a Thursday night contest at St. Louis. If Tomlin wants his players to focus, let them focus. When you allow Tomlin to write the leads to your articles, maybe he'll let you coach his team. Besides, the Steelers are playing the Cleveland Browns featuring the three-headed quarterback tandem of Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn. Enough said.
as level headed and focussed on the next game i thought the steelers always were the biggest downfall i saw last season was that they always were looking ahead to that stage in miami (SBXLI) as opposed to next weeks opponent. they seemed to think it was their birthrights as champs.

Quote:
That said, I do admire Tomlin for staying consistent with what he told his team when he first got the job, that essentially they can't overlook any steps in what he calls "the process" even ones as insignificant as a final preseason game.
a very old school, cowheresque quote if you ask me.

so... let the debate continue. is tomlin being foolish by focussing bens attention on a meaningless game and taking it away from the browns?

or is he wise to divert all attention to next weeks opponent (no matter how insignificant they may be) and not let the team get ahead of themselves and overlook the simple "process"?

i think tomlin is setting a great tone. this week is no bye week, just like last years game vs the raiders wasnt a bye week.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
mental.apparition
Water Boy

Member Number: 5797
Default Re: ben still overlooking opponents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
as level headed and focussed on the next game i thought the steelers always were the biggest downfall i saw last season was that they always were looking ahead to that stage in miami (SBXLI) as opposed to next weeks opponent. they seemed to think it was their birthrights as champs.
I can't find a reason to even debate your statement. I think it was clear last year the Steelers organization thought most teams were going to roll over and play dead for the champs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so... let the debate continue. is tomlin being foolish by focussing bens attention on a meaningless game and taking it away from the browns?

or is he wise to divert all attention to next weeks opponent (no matter how insignificant they may be) and not let the team get ahead of themselves and overlook the simple "process"?

i think tomlin is setting a great tone. this week is no bye week, just like last years game vs the raiders wasnt a bye week.
Here I can make an argument.

I agree with Tomlin stressing the process. MT has to settle the team into "his way" and I have no problem with that. But...

It's the last game of pre-season. How long will it take Ben to work the limited game plan MT might have set up for the 2 or maybe 3 series Ben is likely to see? If Ben gets with that program I find it ridiculous a coach would discourage his young QB from doing more...from going above and beyond, if you will.
mental.apparition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,448 Times in 1,669 Posts

I think its good to get them into a weekly routine preparing for the next game. It might help to keep from over looking teams like the raiders last year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
T.J.
Water Boy

Member Number: 5727

I like the way tomlin has settled things this year. But i dont think lookin ahead to the next game is going to hurt ben in any way, yea mabey take his focus off a little bit but its only a pre season game, in the regular season i could understand. But i'll let tomlin work his shit here and see where he leads us but so far its not lookin bad.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:33 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
I like the way tomlin has settled things this year. But i dont think lookin ahead to the next game is going to hurt ben in any way, yea mabey take his focus off a little bit but its only a pre season game, in the regular season i could understand. But i'll let tomlin work his shit here and see where he leads us but so far its not lookin bad.
Agreed they are only going to play a quarter why not prepare for next week.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I think its good to get them into a weekly routine preparing for the next game. It might help to keep from over looking teams like the raiders last year.
i agree, if this is a practice game, then you should practice like it's real. isn't that the point. routine is very important i believe and they should stick to the plan.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:57 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

To be honest Tony...I am not as worried about Ben's desire to look at the Cleveland tapes...as I am about his apparant insubordinate approach to Tomlins leadership.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
WisconsinSteelerMan
Bench Warmer

Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin (but still a Pittsburgher at heart!!!)
Member Number: 1388

I am not concerned at Ben looking forward past the Pathers to the Browns at this point. Now, if I hear about that during the regular season, then I would say that it is a problem.

I do agree with Lamberts-lost-tooth that "sneaking around" the coach to look at the tape is not the way to do things, but we'll see how it plays out!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
WisconsinSteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

people fuss b/c they said he didnt spend enough time watching film and now that he wants to watch film people are saying that he is being insubordinate to coach tomlin. you cant have it both ways.. and yet again no matter what ben does its wrong.. the poor boy will never be able to do anything to please. this is a preseason game against the sucky panthers, so i wouldnt care if he wanted to get a heads up on the actual game.. you know a game the actually means something in the standings.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:35 PM   #10
StinkyB
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6509

Quote:
I can't find a reason to even debate your statement. I think it was clear last year the Steelers organization thought most teams were going to roll over and play dead for the champs.
I am not sure they were THAT ****y about it.
StinkyB is offline   Reply With Quote