Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Becoming a theoretical physicist in your spare time: a guide

By Gerard t'Hooft

The introduction:

"It so often happens that I receive mail - well-intended but totally useless - by amateur physicists who believe to have solved the world. They believe this, only because they understand totally nothing about the real way problems are solved in Modern Physics. If you really want to contribute to our theoretical understanding of physical laws - and it is an exciting experience if you succeed! - there are many things you need to know. First of all, be serious about it. All necessary science courses are taught at Universities, so, naturally, the first thing you should do is have yourself admitted at a University and absorb everything you can. But what if you are still young, at School, and before being admitted at a University, you have to endure the childish anecdotes that they call science there? What if you are older, and you are not at all looking forward to join those noisy crowds of young students ?

"It should be possible, these days, to collect all knowledge you need from the internet. Problem then is, there is so much junk on the internet. Is it possible to weed out those very rare pages that may really be of use? I know exactly what should be taught to the beginning student. The names and topics of the absolutely necessary lecture courses are easy to list, and this is what I have done below. It is my intention to search on the web where the really useful papers and books are, preferably downloadable as well. This way, the costs of becoming a theoretical physicist should not exceed much the price of a computer with internet connection, a printer, and lots of paper and pens. Unfortunately, I still have to recommend to buy text books as well, but it is harder to advise you here; perhaps in a future site. Let's first limit ourselves to the absolute minimum. The subjects listed below must be studied. Any omission will be punished: failure. Do get me right: you don't have to believe anything you read on faith - check it. Try alternative approaches, as many as you can. You will discover, time and again, that really what those guys did indeed was the smartest thing possible. Amazing. the best of the texts come with exercises. Do them. find out that you can understand everything. Try to reach the stage that you discover the numerous misprints, tiny mistakes as well as more important errors, and imagine how you would write those texts in a smarter way."

And then, he goes on to give all the resources available, online, so that if you want to, YOU TOO can become a theoretical physicist!
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Becoming a theoretical physicist in your spare time: a guide

I'm guessing paranoid schizophrenic? You have to admit, even though absurd, they can be very entertaining to read!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

t'Hooft is the 1999 Nobel Prize winner in theoretical physics and one of the fathers of quantum field theory. The web page is real; you could study what is there and become a theoretical physicist.

I think the impetus for the article lies in the first sentence... it is a place to reference all the crackpots to. I couldn't get through the first third of what was there... no, I couldn't get through the first tenth.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Just goes to show that being a theoretical physicist doesn't mean you can write well. I assumed that this was written BY a crackpot.