Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,797 Times in 2,680 Posts
Default P-G Not Impressed With Steelers 2007 Draft

If this was a Cook or Smizik rip job I would say consider the source, but Ed.B. of the P-G, who I regard to be credible, is not impressed so far with the 2007 draft (I ran the screed against Sepulveda in the thread about Barr joining the Cardinals but the rest of Ed.B.'s thoughts are interesting),

Let the parade of Steelers to Arizona begin. The Cardinals signed punter Mike Barr after the Steelers released him the past week. And it did not even cost them a draft pick, never mind two of them in the fourth and sixth rounds. Barr outpunted Daniel Sepulveda in the first four preseason games, but there was never a chance the Steelers were going to keep him.

They should have kept Barr last season when he was in their third training camp. Instead, they hung on to Chris Gardocki one season too long. Had they kept Barr, they likely would have used their draft picks in the fourth and sixth rounds on real football players.

Having written that, it does not look like a banner year for the Steelers' rookie draft class. Sepulveda (fourth round), linebacker LaMarr Woodley (second) and cornerback William Gay (fifth) are about the only ones who have done anything.

Linebacker Lawrence Timmons, of course, will be kept as will tight end Matt Spaeth, who has been a disappointment. It looks like they could cut another fourth-rounder, defensive end Ryan McBean, who was impressive early in camp but then fell way off. They also likely will cut fifth-rounder Cameron Stephenson, a guard from Rutgers. Stephenson's former college teammate, Darnell Stapleton, also a guard, has been more impressive and could make it as an undrafted rookie.

http://www.postgazette.com/steelers/blogngold/

Although I was not wild about the Timmons pick, I agree with those who say let's wait and see how he does after recovering from the injury.

However, the Spaeth pick was a complete mystery to me and based on what I saw Sunday night against Philly Sep did not show me what all the alleged excitement is about. Those 2 picks were the total reaches on which IMO this draft may be judged.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: P-G Not Impressed With Steelers 2007 Draft

Barr out punted sepulevda, first i heard that. Woodley is a stud and Gay is always Darrin Perry like in the right place at the right time.Timmons has looked better tonight. He is 3 weeks behind. His rep is of a hard worker 100 % all the time. H e will be a player!
Old 08-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Timmons needs time, he hasn't been bad in the games he's played. Spaeth on the other hand seems a waste of a pick
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

theres only so many guys that can make a difference in each draft.. so far woodley, sepulevda, gay and timmons look like they could all make an impact on this team now and in the future.. not to mention gary russell could be a bonus rookie.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I am guessing that, in the case of Spaeth, that the criticism should be aimed more at the offensive philosophy regarding TE's rather than the actual player.

I don't know if anyone actually reviews the game footage (LLT,TH?) but is this guy getting many snaps as anything other an inline blocker, is he part of Bens progression as a hot read under pressure and can he run a half decent route?

Its possible, I suppose, that the coaches are so underwhelmed by his lack of playmaking ability that he doesn't deserve to figure in the offensive gameplan at this point - who knows?

As I stated before, I really don't think that the Steelers are 'hiding' the hugely hyped 3 TE offense - not when an intergral part of it is sounding like the invisible man.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:35 AM   #6
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

I say save the judgmental critique for AFTER the season. We won't know how good this class is until at least 1-2 years have gone by.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 AM   #7
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammer View Post
I say save the judgmental critique for AFTER the season. We won't know how good this class is until at least 1-2 years have gone by.
ya i agree there is no reason to judge are picks now when a regular season hasent even started. Like all rookies there is going to be a learning curve. We drafted these guys for the future. Give them a chance to blossom. At least wait until the end of the season

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammer View Post

That's about the truth of it.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:35 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

It seemed like alot of daniels punts went into the endzone tonight for toughbacks he is booting 50 + yards but if they carry in the endzone that ain't going to help us much.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
atrus20
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1207

I agree, lets wait and see in a year or two to judge how well or how bad this draft class is.