Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Simmons Signs 4 Year Deal

Steelers' Simmons signs 4-year contract
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Guard Kendall Simmons signed a contract extension with the Steelers today that will keep him on the team through the 2011 season.

Mr. Simmons' four-year extension is worth $24 million, $8.5 million of which is guaranteed.

Mr. Simmons, the Steelers' first-round draft pick in 2002 from Auburn, has been the their starting right guard since his rookie season.

His missed the 2004 season with a knee injury.

Mr. Simmons' signing likely means that there will be no new contract for Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca. Both guards were in the last year of their contracts.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07245/814233-100.stm
Old 09-02-2007, 10:40 AM   #2
Smashmouth225
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 5469
Default Re: Simmons Signs 4 Year Deal

If and when Faneca leaves i believe Simmons takes over @ LG.
Smashmouth225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Hopefully Simmons plays up to this contract he signed...I think he if finally healthy for the first time in a long time so that should help to improve his play...I know Faneca will be pissed to hear Simmons got a new deal and he didn't...lol
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Well 4 years/$24million is a little more than others had predicted - $3-4million per year was what was expected - $6million is the reality.

I thought they would lock him up for longer than 4 years...6 was my prediction and at about $5.5million per year.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #5
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

I really wish they would have at least tried to resign Faneca instead of Simmons.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Well, Simmons is "smiling like a butcher's dog" today. I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this issue. This is the same guy we won a Super Bowl with in 05. This is also the same guy who tends to play off and on over the course of the season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even during our XL year it took him half the season to turn it on.

I guess overall I don't mind resigning the guy, but I'm not exactly liking the contract amount. Take it fwiw, to put this in context, Ty Warren got a contract that averages out to just over seven million a year.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #7
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
Hopefully Simmons plays up to this contract he signed...I think he if finally healthy for the first time in a long time so that should help to improve his play...I know Faneca will be pissed to hear Simmons got a new deal and he didn't...lol
Does anyone else wonder if Alan had not thrown a fit earlier this year that the Rooneys might have worked a deal for him instead of Simmons? Fancea aired some grievances that were more of a personal shot to the Rooneys. I dont see the Rooneys as being spiteful especially when it comes to making business decisions. But I wonder if they have soured to Faneca and therefore could not make him an offer. They are, after all, only human.

Last edited by yinzer-inseattle; 09-02-2007 at 11:16 AM.
yinzer-inseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
Well, Simmons is "smiling like a butcher's dog" today. I'm not exactly sure where I stand on this issue. This is the same guy we won a Super Bowl with in 05. This is also the same guy that tends to play off and on during a season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even during our XL season it took him half the season to turn it on.

Overall, I don't mind resigning the guy, but I'm not exactly liking the contract amount. Take it fwiw, to put this in context, Ty Warren got a contract that averages out to just over 7 mil a year.
You're right about Simmons during the 2005 season....It wasn't until the Bears game and after that Simmons started really to play well that year...But the guy has battled health issues since 2004 with a torn ACL and adult diabetes....This pre-season Simmons finally seems to be fully healthy so hopefully his play will improve...I agree about the contract amount to....But hey anymore the market for player is just way over priced.....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzer-inseattle View Post
Does anyone else wonder if Alan had not thrown a fit earlier this year that the Rooneys might have worked a deal for him instead of Simmons?
IMO, I don't feel the Rooney's are the type to hold a grudge on a player who decided to speak out over his contract situation. Just like how I don't feel Faneca would hold a grudge if the Rooney's decided to pay him out the arse.

It's all comes down to MONEY. "It's not personal, it's business".
Old 09-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

At first glance it seems a bit high for Simmons, but then I think by 2010 he will be grossly underpaid. Obviously, one thinks this is further evidence that the Steelers are not to bring back Faneca. But, they were not going to bring back Faneca even without Simmons new contract. I think it will have a greater impact on other players on the line. Max Starks will be gone. Also, I would have to think that either Marvel Smith restructures his contract for next season or he might be a cap casualty as well.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote