Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Bettis taking major heat

So I was watching "The Nightly Sports Call" tonight. The topic was Jerome's new book, 'My Life in and out of a helmet: The Bus'. In his book he states.....

The Steelers organization intentionally held Kordell Kordell Stewart back so they did not have to pay Kordell the big bucks.

He also went on to state that Dick Hoke kept Warren over Lester because Whitman was a Penn State guy.

Bettis is taking some heat to say the least over his comments in his new book. If you make accusations such as the ones above, I guess you better expect it.

Oh, I almost forgot.

For those who love to....

(Insert local media conspiracy excuse even though it's in Jerome's book written by Jerome Bettis)

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 08-20-2007 at 10:15 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,883 Times in 4,504 Posts
Default Re: Bettis taking major heat

i agree that kordell would have benefitted from having an actual qb coach before 2001. even the absolute best college qb prospects get a position coach in the nfl. but it was probably a matter of tradition as opposed to the "man" holding kordell down.

mark malone
bubby brister
neil odonnell
mike tomzack/jimm miller/kent graham/k. stewart

*sigh*
Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

It will be interesting to hear what they have to say on the "Sunday Sports Showdown" at 11:30 tonight. I went on Jerome's site to see if I could learn more about his book and all I could find was ordering information and this gem of a quote from Dan Rooney......

"Exciting - Entertaining - extra special like the Bus himself!" Dan Rooney, Owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers
Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #4
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I saw it as well. It remains to be seen how big this will be. Certainly, it will cause a stir in Pittsburgh for a while, but it is doubtful it will have legs much outside Pittsburgh. Taking shots at Mike Tomzack is pretty much a yawn. Now, if Jerome took shots at Ben or Willie or any other current players in the book then it might be more.

He did seem to take a shot at the Rooneys over Kordell, but if the Rooneys are upset about it we probably won't here much since they don't air their dirty laundry in public. Obviously, Dan Rooney didn't read it or he wouldn't have given a positive note for the book jacket.

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 08-20-2007 at 12:31 AM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
but if the Rooney's are upset about it we probably won't here much since they don't air their dirty laundry in public.
And they also tend to take the high road when it comes to attention grabbing, book selling B.S. such as this.

Also, the media in this city better watch how much they jump on this story. Jerome Bettis is at Ben Roethlisberger God status when it comes to taking any type of heat or even mild criticism. I'm sure they will walk slowly when it comes to Jerome's comments.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 AM   #6
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
So I was watching "The Nightly Sports Call" tonight. The topic was Jerome's new book, 'My Life in and out of a helmet: The Bus'. In his book he states.....

The Steelers organization intentionally held Kordell Kordell Stewart back so they did not have to pay Kordell the big bucks.
He also went on to state that Dick Hoke kept Warren over Lester because Warren was a Penn State guy.

Bettis is taking some heat to say the least over his comments in his new book. If you make accusations such as the ones above, I guess you better expect it.

Oh, I almost forgot.

For those who love to....

(Insert local media conspiracy excuse even though it's in Jerome's book written by Jerome Bettis)
I think that Kordell did a good job setting himself back! Way more then the front office ever did.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:14 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,883 Times in 4,504 Posts

im sure the rooneys arent sweating anything. they did give kordell the richest signing bonus at that time. they paid him the market value he didnt prove to deserve.

they didnt prematurely extend him just to ensure he'd fail and prove to be a waste of $$$. everybody wanted kordell to succeed. he was just 2nd fiddle to the defense, running back and o-line.

the steelers put o'donnell in i sb (that kordell participated in) and gave kordell the chance to go to several more.

but jerome is a businessman and he knows a book praising the rooneys will sell a hell of a lot less than one taking slams at them.

really, everyone knows his story anyways. this book will flop. if theres a name the book contest i got one:

I had asthma and won the superbowl
Old 08-20-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

I'll buy the book anyways, as to support our good ol' Bus.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:51 AM   #9
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

This doesn't suprise me. I've never considered Bettis to be a Steelers God. As a matter of fact I've pretty much done nothing but criticize him. I"ve stated several times that I was never a big Bettis fan. I just didn't view him as the great RB that many of you did. The Steelers kept him on their roster 3-4 years longer than they should have. I mean the guy lost his starting job to Amos (pronounced) Zere-a-way in 2001. He was mostly a momentum killer from then on. The guy was constantly stopped for very short and even negative yardage.

Screw Jerome Bettis. Send him a sack of Whoppers on me.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:06 AM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Pit View Post
This doesn't suprise me. I've never considered Bettis to be a Steelers God. As a matter of fact I've pretty much done nothing but criticize him. I"ve stated several times that I was never a big Bettis fan. I just didn't view him as the great RB that many of you did. The Steelers kept him on their roster 3-4 years longer than they should have. I mean the guy lost his starting job to Amos (pronounced) Zere-a-way in 2001. He was mostly a momentum killer from then on. The guy was constantly stopped for very short and even negative yardage.

Screw Jerome Bettis. Send him a sack of Whoppers on me.

Sorry... I just can't help myself.

Jerome... Top five running backs in yardage in all time.

1.Emmitt Smith18,3552.Walter Payton16,7263.Barry Sanders15,2694.Curtis Martin14,1015.Jerome Bettis13,6626.Eric Dickerson13,2597.Tony Dorsett12,7398.Jim Brown12,3129.Marshall Faulk12,27910.Marcus Allen12,243

How in the WORLD is not a GREAT rusher? He would drag two and three people with him AT THE SAME TIME.

Oh yeah.. the year AFTER Amos started.... Don't forget the Bus rushed for just short of 1000 yards, again. This time... IN ONLY HAVE A SEASON!!

Next year... he STILL had it. Do you forget is game in Chicago? Sure, his body was broken down. He couldn't do it game in and game out. But when needed, he could STILL do it.

It is one thing to be an individual. Another to ignore reality in being an individual.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote