Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default LeBeau adds touches to Steelers defense

LeBeau adds touches to Steelers defense
September 3, 2007

http://www.sportingnews.com:80/yourt...c.php?t=267384

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- For the first time since December, the Pittsburgh Steelers practiced Monday for a game that counts. To linebacker Larry Foote, that means they can finally show everything they've got.

On defense, that is, where Foote is promising some new wrinkles that defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau previously held back -- not only during training camp, but during past seasons.

"We're going to show some stuff," Foote said.

The first team to see this supposed new stuff will be the Browns on Sunday in Cleveland.

Because former coach Bill Cowher always had his hand in the defense -- he was a one-time NFL defensive coordinator -- the defense wasn't 100 percent LeBeau's own since he returned to Pittsburgh in 2004. Some of it dated to the days when Dom Capers was Cowher's first defensive coordinator in 1992 and LeBeau was the secondary coach.

But since coach Mike Tomlin took over in January -- yes, he's a former defensive coordinator, too -- LeBeau and the new head coach have huddled numerous times with the idea of meshing some of Tomlin's philosophies with LeBeau's.

The Steelers are keeping the 3-4 defense they've played almost exclusively since the 1980s. Their personnel almost requires that. But it will incorporate aspects of the 4-3 defense that Minnesota and Tampa Bay played when Tomlin was an assistant coach with those teams.

They'll also show off some of the Foote-promised new gimmicks that LeBeau, who turns 70 on Sunday, schemed up during the offseason.

Among them is an alignment in which defensive end Aaron Smith will be the only defender with his hand down; others feature defensive end Brett Keisel roaming around much like Patriots linebacker Adalius Thomas did last season with Baltimore.

"You've got to pay a lot of attention to him," safety Troy Polamalu said.

Last year, Polamalu lined up anywhere from the line of scrimmage to the deep secondary. This season, Keisel is moving around, too, though he won't line up as a safety.

"I think a lot," Polamalu said when asked how much new material is in this season's playbook. "I think we had a great preseason compared to any previous one I've been part of. But it depends on how it plays out throughout the season."

The Steelers' starters allowed only one touchdown during the five exhibition games, though they never played past halftime. They found that encouraging, if only because they are still adjusting to the loss of linebacker Joey Porter, now with Miami.

But while LeBeau held back some tricks during the preseason, according to Foote, Polamalu said the Steelers pretty much showed what they have. The unknown factor is how much Tomlin will decide to inject during the season.

"I think coach LeBeau has never really hid anything from anybody," Polamalu said. "We pretty much put our whole defense in during the offseason, and every game we'll kind of tinker a little bit here, and add a few blitzes -- other than that, everything is pretty much in there. What you see is what you get."

The idea, of course, is to always keep the offense guessing what it will see. No doubt LeBeau wanted to make some changes after all that blitzing last season resulted in only 39 sacks, the third-lowest total during Cowher's 15 seasons as coach.

"Our mentality has been, and coach LeBeau's mentality has been that you have to adjust to us, we're not going to adjust to you," Polamalu said.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: LeBeau adds touches to Steelers defense

Quote:
"Our mentality has been, and coach LeBeau's mentality has been that you have to adjust to us, we're not going to adjust to you," Polamalu said.
Which explains why they continue to stay 10 or 12 yards off the receiver and get beat on the short slant passes.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Among them is an alignment in which defensive end Aaron Smith will be the only defender with his hand down; others feature defensive end Brett Keisel roaming around much like Patriots linebacker Adalius Thomas did last season with Baltimore.

"You've got to pay a lot of attention to him," safety Troy Polamalu said.
OH NO! how could the steelers ever tip their hand like that to a belichick deciple??? we are doomed!

we suck again!

im thinking the steelers will play this game pretty vanilla and straight up, just like pre season, and give up no more than 13 points (just like pre season) and still win by about 20.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:58 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
OH NO! how could the steelers ever tip their hand like that to a belichick deciple??? we are doomed!

we suck again!

im thinking the steelers will play this game pretty vanilla and straight up, just like pre season, and give up no more than 13 points (just like pre season) and still win by about 20.
Hey tony....

I don't know. We barely beat the Browns in the first game last year. We may or may not win this game. New coach, going into enemy territory like the Browns, yeah... I think he pulls out the stops.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,370 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Hey tony....

I don't know. We barely beat the Browns in the first game last year. We may or may not win this game. New coach, going into enemy territory like the Browns, yeah... I think he pulls out the stops.
now im not taking the browns lightly...

if i were id say we win by 41.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
now im not taking the browns lightly...

if i were id say we win by 41.

My hope...

41-0. Just crush them. I am on a Brown's board, and some of them are really getting ugly. Others of course, are just good fans. I would love to invite them over here, but I really don't want to invite the trolls. SO I just stay quiet.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:22 AM   #7
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

My hope...

41-0. Just crush them. I am on a Brown's board, and some of them are really getting ugly. Others of course, are just good fans. I would love to invite them over here, but I really don't want to invite the trolls. SO I just stay quiet.
funny stuff preacher
Old 09-04-2007, 04:55 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,757 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I'm not taking them lightly either the easy games have always turned into a headache for us.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 02:07 PM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I too am not taking the first five opponents easy either.

Arizona reads "trap game" all over it. San Fran is actually an improving team.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
I'm not taking them lightly either the easy games have always turned into a headache for us.

Exactly, we don't have to look very far to see what can happen.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote