Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Steelers Notebook: 9/4/07

Steelers Notebook: Players' vote leads to 4 captains
Tuesday, September 04, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Staying with a theme under new coach Mike Tomlin, the Steelers just can't have enough special teams, whether it's practice, coaches or team captains.

Tomlin named his captains yesterday: Linebacker James Farrior on defense, wide receiver Hines Ward on offense, and linebackers James Harrison and Clint Kriewaldt on special teams.

Tomlin previously said he would name the captains, but the players took a vote yesterday morning. The reason there are two on special teams, Farrior said, is the vote was close there.

"Three linebackers!" Farrior noted.

Said Ward, "Any time you can get voted captain by your teammates is an accomplishment, something that goes further than some of the accolades we receive."

Under former coach Bill Cowher, there were six captains -- two each on defense, offense and special teams. This is the fourth year for Farrior as a captain, the third for Ward and Kriewaldt and the first for Harrison.

Faneca happy for Simmons

Alan Faneca sent a text message to fellow offensive guard Kendall Simmons Sunday: "Congratulations, you deserve it."

Faneca said he has no mixed feelings at all that Simmons received a contract extension from the Steelers Sunday and he did not.

"I love Kendall to death; I'm happy for him," Faneca said. "He's been working hard and playing great."

Simmons' contract is the last the Steelers will negotiate this year. If Faneca or any other player whose contract expires at the end of the season is to re-sign it will have to come when the season ends.

The Steelers took that approach years ago when they concluded negotiating contracts during a season had a negative impact on some players.

"It's gotten me at times," said Faneca, acknowledging the effects on him of his contract situation. "But I think for the most part I've done a pretty good job of staying focused on what I need to do and what was going on on the field."

He did not shut the door completely to the narrow chance that he could sign a contract with the Steelers after the season.

"I'm not saying never. I'm just saying the realities are what they are and the likelihood is slim. I can't focus on the probability of a slim chance."

Numbers game

The release of center Chukky Okobi opened the door for rookie linebacker LaMarr Woodley to change his uniform number.

Woodley wore No. 55 -- Joey Porter's old number -- in training camp, but he owned No. 56 throughout high school and his days at Michigan.

"I have to get my older number back," Woodley said.

He wore No. 55 in practice yesterday, but on the new roster is listed as No. 56.

Rossum happy camper now

Training camp for the newest Steeler, Allen Rossum, was different for the former Atlanta Falcons' cornerback and returnman this summer, and he is not unhappy to be away from the Michael Vick circus.

"Most of the time, you have a lot of people out there supporting you. This year, there was not that much support, it was more an antagonistic approach to everything we were doing," said Rossum, 31.

"It's an unfortunate thing for the organization, an unfortunate thing for the league and also for Mike, he's a good friend of mine. I'm sad to see that go down, but we all learn things in life whether he did it, I did it or you did it.

"I'm going to learn from it personally."

There was some celebrating in the Rossum household when the Steelers acquired him in a trade from Atlanta Saturday. His wife, Angela, is from Erie, and she and her family have long been Steelers fans.

"My wife is from Erie, Pa., and is not a Buffalo Bills fan," declared Rossum, who played at Notre Dame.

His role on the team has not yet been defined by Tomlin.

"I really don't know yet. I kind of got here this morning, suited up and went to practice.

"I played nickel, returned punts and kickoffs, I covered, I even played a little receiver. I kind of played anything. I just want to play. Whenever you have an opportunity like this with a legacy of a team like this, I think that's the attitude you should have."

Quick hits

Simmons also is practicing at center because he likely will be pressed into service there if something happens to starter Sean Mahan in games. ... Rossum will wear No. 29. ... Linebacker Marquis Cooper (hamstring) and quarterback Brian St. Pierre (toe) did not practice. Tight end Jerame Tuman, who missed the last preseason game, returned to practice.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07247/814477-66.stm
Old 09-04-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Steelers Notebook: 9/4/07

Quote:
There was some celebrating in the Rossum household when the Steelers acquired him in a trade from Atlanta Saturday. His wife, Angela, is from Erie, and she and her family have long been Steelers fans.

"My wife is from Erie, Pa., and is not a Buffalo Bills fan," declared Rossum, who played at Notre Dame.

His role on the team has not yet been defined by Tomlin.

"I really don't know yet. I kind of got here this morning, suited up and went to practice.

"I played nickel, returned punts and kickoffs, I covered, I even played a little receiver. I kind of played anything. I just want to play. Whenever you have an opportunity like this with a legacy of a team like this, I think that's the attitude you should have."
You know...

I really do like this guy's attitude. Seems like he has a Steeler attitude.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,753 Times in 1,583 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
You know...

I really do like this guy's attitude. Seems like he has a Steeler attitude.
Yea it sounds like he is ready to turn up the volume in pittsburgh.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Sounds like a win - win for all involved!!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:17 AM   #5
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

So who's gonna get Joey's old number now? Maybe Timmons should try and get it
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #6
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I told you guys he was great! (Rossum)... Lol, that aside I am glad to hear Faneca acted proffessionally but honestly am tired of the guy and am counting the days until he gets his huge contract somewhere else...
Old 09-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
I told you guys he was great! (Rossum)... Lol, that aside I am glad to hear Faneca acted proffessionally but honestly am tired of the guy and am counting the days until he gets his huge contract somewhere else...
Funny how it is now being floated that there is a "Slim" chance at the end of the season for the Steelers to pick Faneca back up.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

too bad for all the people who bought a woodley jersey already.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:19 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post

Might be worth something!!
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
shutdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1445

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
At least I can change my Okobi jersey into a Woodley jersey now.