Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,915 Times in 4,517 Posts
Default "It is what it is" wednesdays

as 83 steelers pointed out, its hard not to become addicted to all the "tomlinisms" even if theyre regurgitated cowherisms.

for those w/o sirius i highly suggest looking at delhess's links of tomlins weekly spot in the media forum.

pat kirwan asked tomlin how soon he would gather the team and ground them from the emotional high of last weeks win. the man said that had already been adressed im march when he informally met with all the players at the beginning of minis. the players were told that is the way it was gonna be around here. he went on to explain that wednesdays during game weeks are known as "it is what it is wednesdays" because win or lose, no matter what the outcome was from the week was before, wednesday is when they all put it behind them, report to work, and focus on the next opponent.

gotta love it when hes asked about the injury status of the team and his response is "were clean". of course this lingo doesnt mean he's gonna have tons of street cred with the players, but it does show me he's "keepin it real" and has great communication skills with those who he coaches. its no secret that he is young and can relate with those he coaches.

and for those who may worry about him staying grounded, kirwan was simply paying him a compliment and commenting how "exciting it must be for a new head coach coming off his 1st win" upon ending the interview.

tomlin quickly injected "you dont have to worry about that. i got my feet cemented to the ground. i got too much work to do".

very heady response. the man is on his toes despite the "cement" and isnt looking for any accolades or pats on the back. he is all about business.

he was totally unphased about the call to go for it on 4th and inches from midfield. "that was an easy decision" "to be a winning team you gotta be able to make those plays".

he went on to talk about all the "situational football" he preched and practiced in the pre season.

cowher may have done the biggest favor by sticking around an extra year. if he hadnt (and no disrespect intended) we may be stuck with russ or wiz.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509
Default Re: "It is what it is" wednesdays

tomlin deals with invterview questions the same way he is running his football team: quickly and very sure of himself. every time i hear him speak, i feel his focus is on the job at hand. this is not someone you have to question, and these days that is uncommon.

that said, i'm sure he will be questioned as soon as that first loss comes along, but i think he'll weather the storm all right:)

i know it sounds like i'm gushing, but it's hard to talk about Coach Tomlin and sound any other way, sorry. we don't have much bad to say about him yet..... oh, except.... i think he said "these men" at least once today ....lol
Old 09-11-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

The media session after the first loss will be interesting - this is a 34 year old HC in his first year who did not dodge a question today about the team of the decade and said where there is smoke there is fire when asked about the Patriots cheating - wonder if he pulls no punches with the media regarding players if they screw up during a loss
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:52 PM   #4
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The media session after the first loss will be interesting - this is a 34 year old HC in his first year who did not dodge a question today about the team of the decade and said where there is smoke there is fire when asked about the Patriots cheating - wonder if he pulls no punches with the media regarding players if they screw up during a loss
and thats weird. i watched his press conference today and he wouldnt touch the patriots scandal with a 10 foot pole. he gave the obligitory "thats for the media to speculate about" and "i'll let goodell worry about that" and "im only focused on the bills" answers.

maybe hes a little more candid when he's not feeding the rabid wolves known as the local pittsburgh football writers.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,487 Times in 3,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
and thats weird. i watched his press conference today and he wouldnt touch the patriots scandal with a 10 foot pole. he gave the obligitory "thats for the media to speculate about" and "i'll let goodell worry about that" and "im only focused on the bills" answers.

maybe hes a little more candid when he's not feeding the rabid wolves known as the local pittsburgh football writers.
??? - this was his quote at the press conference

"In terms of confirming it, it's never been confirmed in any instances to my knowledge," Tomlin said. "But usually, where there is smoke, there's fire. Those rumors are founded on something. So it's not totally shocking, no."

ESPN picked it up after Ed.B. posted it on the P-G - sounds pretty candid to me, although I admit it does not match LT saying today that with the Patriots if you are not cheating you are not really trying .
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Tomlin quote on the upcoming Buffalo game.....

"We are going to bend those mother****ers over and send them back up north.....and uhhh".

Now THAT'S something you never heard from Cowher.....
Old 09-12-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
tony hipchest
Supporter

definitely candid.

i think that was his 1st response on the matter. i came home from work ( conveniently at exactly 10:00 am mst) under the guise that i needed help programming a new digital camera. i think i was pretending to be more interrested in the camera at that point of the presser.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #8
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Tomlin quote on Tony working his new camer.....

"Come on you jackass!! Turn the damn thing on and snap the picture and....uhhh!!!!"

Now THAT'S something you never heard from Cowher.....

Old 09-12-2007, 01:57 AM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

lol. for a sideline press pass, id figure out that damn camera on my own.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:02 AM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

lol. for a sideline press pass, id figure out that damn camera on my own.

You know, I would almost be willing to do that too!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote