Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Madden Column 9/3/07 - Face It, Steelers Mediocre

All right....my feelings about Mark Madden are public knowledge in this forum. Putting aside all the negative, angry emotions he delights in stirring up, is there anything here that actually has merit?
09/03/2007
Madden Column: Face it, Steelers mediocre
By: Mark Madden

Steelers fans are to be commended for not accepting mediocrity.

But they look kind of silly when they can't spot it.

This year's model looks like an 8-8 team, and is closer to 6-10 than 10-6. Only a miraculous year by quarterback Ben Roethlisberger could propel the Steelers into the playoffs.

Don't rule that out. If Roethlisberger plumbs the versatility and unpredictability of his new offense while avoiding capital punishment at the hands of his line, great things are possible. If the Steelers fail, Roethlisberger will wake up with a headache most Mondays while absorbing an unfair share of the blame, but every quarterback signs that Faustian contract.

Beyond Roethlisberger, the Steelers are average. That's a blasphemous thought in these parts. But in the land of the wild-eyed yinzer, the objective thinker rules.

Consider this: How many Steelers starters are good enough to start for a legitimate postseason contender? How many Steelers defenders could start for, say, Baltimore?

The Ravens would laugh at Clark Haggans and James Harrison.

The Ravens would laugh at the Steelers cornerbacks.

James Farrior, Larry Foote, Casey Hampton, Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith provide the only true quality on the Steelers defense. Brett Keisel may join that pack; he has the football sense and athletic ability to handle his expanded role.

How many starters on the Steelers offense could start for Cincinnati? Hines Ward could be the third receiver. Maybe.

Roethlisberger, Alan Faneca, Willie Parker and Marvel Smith are legit big-timers. Santonio Holmes and Heath Miller might be. Ward is a lot closer to the end of his prime than the beginning.

It's a bit skewed to compare the Steelers to the best their division rivals have to offer while ignoring the worst of the Ravens and Bengals. Baltimore quarterback Steve McNair could easily jump back on the scrap heap, while Cincinnati's rotten defense doesn't have even a single playmaker.

But it's difficult to imagine the Steelers outscoring Cincinnati, and equally difficult to imagine the Steelers scoring enough against Baltimore. The Steelers figure to again be brutalized two straight by the Ravens. Going 1-1 against Cincinnati seems possible only because the Bengals loathe prosperity.

If the Steelers really see themselves as a Super Bowl contender not far removed from winning XL, hiring a rookie head coach from outside the organization was bad. Continuity from within would have been better.

The Steelers' saving grace may be their undemanding early schedule.

At Cleveland this coming Sunday, then Buffalo and San Francisco at home, at Arizona, then home against Seattle. If the Steelers get through that stretch 4-1 (or, speaking idealistically, 5-0), momentum has been built and wiggle room created.

The schedule gets a lot harder. But if the Steelers begin 5-0, 10-6 and a playoff berth seems realistic. If the Steelers begin 3-2, that might seem OK but will actually be a deep hole.

The Steelers will come up short at center, where behemoth foes will bully Sean Mahan physically. Tackle Willie Colon is unproven. Holmes and Miller must fulfill their promise. More important, each must be given ample chance to fulfill his promise.

On defense, the outside linebackers are below average. The best cornerback won't be starting.

It all adds up to mediocre. It all adds up to 8-8. Recognize, will you?

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news...d=478568&rfi=6
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201
Default Re: Madden Column 9/3/07 - Face It, Steelers Mediocre

Remind me to have a bat with me if I ever see Mark Ignorant Madden.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

What a total idiot this guy Madden is. Like he knows anything about football.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
UK CANDY BEE
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
the land of the wild-eyed yinzer,

This year, Pittsburgh is just gonna BLEED TO DEATH !!
UK CANDY BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Coming from a fat, bitter slob, I would expect nothing less.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

I'm very confused by the parallels he draws considering he immediately admits that the Bengals defense and Ravens offense are bad.

I would rather have a balanced squad between the three teams. Solid offense, solid defense, solid STs.

Mark Madden's NFL sees one dimensional teams winning the Super Bowl?

It happens, but it can hardly be called a correlation.

Santonio Holmes has proved that he belongs to be on the field. I also notice that he doesn't mention Krieder in his offensive analysis. Even if we do plan to see more 3 WR and 2 TE sets, he is still our starting fullback and one that many teams would love to have. Even the snickering, apparently, Ravens.

I'm sure Madden also expected the Ravens to be mediocre last year after a poor '05 showing.

But the Ravens '05 team wasn't bad, they just had some bad breaks. Right?

That doesn't apply to the '06 Steelers.

Damn right we don't accept meritocracy. We're 0-0. We have the best record in football.

I also enjoyed how he covered his ass for when the Steelers come out 4-1, hopefully 5-0.

Mark Madden spews this false confidence. He portrays himself as a full contact journalist and then eases up on his point so he can weasel out of it when his predictions bomb.

Quote:
Going 1-1 against Cincinnati seems possible only because the Bengals loathe prosperity.
[translation] "If we beat the Bengals it is ONLY because they are holding themselves back."

Quote:
At Cleveland this coming Sunday, then Buffalo and San Francisco at home, at Arizona, then home against Seattle. If the Steelers get through that stretch 4-1 (or, speaking idealistically, 5-0), momentum has been built and wiggle room created.
[translation] "They only stand a chance because they were handed an easy schedule"

And also.

Quote:
The best cornerback won't be starting.
What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Mark, if you're going to make a stand, use that weight of yours. Stand firm. Don't falter. Don't be afraid to "man up" when you wiff.

Don't worry about it. No one respects you as it is.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

For a toolbox who prides himself on going against the grain and making bold predictions, he sure gives himself plenty of fudge room.

To paraphrase the article, the Steelers might suck or they might make the playoffs.

Wow! That's some penetrating analysis!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #8
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

I am going to give an un-biased opinion here (let the flaming begin) and say that Madden does have a COUPLE valid points...

We don't know how Sean is gonna do at center. Our cornerbacks aren't the greatest, by any means. Everyone here knows that.

I do disagree when he said our linebackers are below average, theyre definitely aging but theyre definitely now BELOW average. I dont' see losing Porter as a big deal.

After what Baltimore did to us last year, anyone has the right to say that they are clearly the better team. I really do believe that we can beat Cinci and obviously the Browns...

He doesn't appear very confident in his analysis as a whole, but he did have some valid points.

just my .02
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
UK CANDY BEE
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 947

That Madden fellow is just another media know-nothing !!

How many of those so called "experts" proclaimed this time last year that teams like the Saints and Jets were going to be playoff teams ??

None that I ever read !!

We'll find out once again in the coming weeks just how moronic they truly are !!

The real shame is that they are getting PAID for their stupidity !!

This year, Pittsburgh is just gonna BLEED TO DEATH !!
UK CANDY BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK CANDY BEE View Post
That Madden fellow is just another media know-nothing !!

How many of those so called "experts" proclaimed this time last year that teams like the Saints and Jets were going to be playoff teams ??

None that I ever read !!

We'll find out once again in the coming weeks just how moronic they truly are !!

The real shame is that they are getting PAID for their stupidity !!
Don't ever try and use the Jets/Saints as examples to possibly justify predicting a miracle season for the browns...

jk man =D
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote