Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038
Default Once again....

Thusfar I've been extremely happy with what I've heard/seen from the coaching staff this year.....but to me the most expected thing to see out of the staff during training camp up to the start of the regular season is to make sure the best player is on the field.

I dont think that is the case this year.

If you'd like to make an argument AGAINST Anthony Smith starting, taking into consideration the fact that hes done nothing but PRODUCED under the small amount of time he gets on the field, then please feel free to "enlighten" me.

McFadden sitting on the bench as a rookie is understandable, the second year: ehh I'm not liking it but I'll live, BUT THREE STRAIGHT YEARS!! Man, I just don't get it. I started salivating at the mouth with the thought of Porter, McFadden, and Smith laying down the law on their side of the field......if you were to tell me at the close of the '06 season that NONE OF THE TREE would be starting, I'd have laughed and simply stated "Dude.....watch a f'ing steelers game!'

I like Deshea, I like Harrison, and I like Clark. But I also have watched, studied, loved, supported, questioned, screamed at, and re-found faith in this football team....lets give the proper players their shot at performing on a regular basis....they've earned it
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Once again....

Smith.

I too like him, tremendously. Though he would be starting this year. However, I can understand him not starting. FS is the QB of the defense. If he doesn't have the ability yet to read the offense and call plays, re-set the defense, support the SS, etc., then he shouldn't start. That is the type of things that we may NOT see. Yes, he produced. But it may be possible that his production didn't make up for the mistakes he made in calling the defense before a play. I think he will end up starting at some point. When, I don't know.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #3
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

I would love for Anthony to start, but this is Tomlin's first year so I'm trusting his decisions, I would also like Bryant to start at corner but Tomlin knows what he's doing. Sooner or later we'll see this guys starting
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
shutdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1445

McFadden cried and moaned about starting PT then gave up an obvious cross pattern up the middle for the TD.

Or CB's have been suspect for quite sometime and im crossing my fingers Tomlin, with his expertise, attempts to adjust this. Granted with MIN his passing defense blew but with T.B. he was great. I think he has a knack for it and there is a reason why McFadden isnt starting yet.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutdown View Post
McFadden cried and moaned about starting PT then gave up an obvious cross pattern up the middle for the TD.

Or CB's have been suspect for quite sometime and im crossing my fingers Tomlin, with his expertise, attempts to adjust this. Granted with MIN his passing defense blew but with T.B. he was great. I think he has a knack for it and there is a reason why McFadden isnt starting yet.
I so hope you're right.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,359 Times in 4,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome To Smashmouth View Post
Thusfar I've been extremely happy with what I've heard/seen from the coaching staff this year.....but to me the most expected thing to see out of the staff during training camp up to the start of the regular season is to make sure the best player is on the field.

If you'd like to make an argument AGAINST Anthony Smith starting, taking into consideration the fact that hes done nothing but PRODUCED under the small amount of time he gets on the field, then please feel free to "enlighten" me.

McFadden sitting on the bench as a rookie is understandable, the second year: ehh I'm not liking it but I'll live, BUT THREE STRAIGHT YEARS!! Man, I just don't get it. I started salivating at the mouth with the thought of Porter, McFadden, and Smith laying down the law on their side of the field......if you were to tell me at the close of the '06 season that NONE OF THE TREE would be starting, I'd have laughed and simply stated "Dude.....watch a f'ing steelers game!'

I like Deshea, I like Harrison, and I like Clark. But I also have watched, studied, loved, supported, questioned, screamed at, and re-found faith in this football team....lets give the proper players their shot at performing on a regular basis....they've earned it
the steelers defense allowed fewer points per game than any other team in the preseason (tomlin era). are you asking for better than the best?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:06 AM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the steelers defense allowed fewer points per game than any other team in the preseason (tomlin era). are you asking for better than the best?
Of course... we are Steeler fans.

If we don't win the SB by 30 points, people will call for Tomlin's head!!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:56 AM   #8
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,705 Times in 1,568 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Of course... we are Steeler fans.

If we don't win the SB by 30 points, people will call for Tomlin's head!!
We want to win by 40 points.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:50 AM   #9
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome To Smashmouth View Post

I also would like to see Anthony Smith start. I'm sure that he'll make a few more mental mistakes then Clark will but I think that the BIGGER hits delivered by Smith will TRUMP a few mental mistakes.

The same assessment probably holds true for McFadden. Townsend is simply better mentally prepared but McFadden is 3 times the athlete. He reminds me a lot of Rod Woodson just by the way that he breaks on the ball. I'll accept a few errors by McFadden in exchange for the interceptions that he'll come away with.

I hope that these 2 guys find the starting line-up soon. I hate to see young talent wasting away on the bench.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I had stated in another thread that Tomlin is going with the vets in many of these situations. I look at it as a good thing for now in the sense that the younger guys are working even harder to get on the field. At the same time the vets know there is someone just itching for that oppurtunity. I agree with everyone on the potential Smith and McFadden have shown, but the vets bring consistency and I think that's what Tomlin is looking at right now.

These players will have plenty of oppurtunity to play in certain packages, so we will see them plenty. Let's see what type of impression they make!!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote