Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:34 AM   #31
steelers forever 8
Water Boy

Member Number: 3323
Default Re: Carey Davis named starting Fullback....I'm not sure how to feel about this!

i guess we can kiss goodbye smashmouth football goodbye!!!
steelers forever 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:02 AM   #32
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,656 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Carey Davis named starting Fullback....I'm not sure how to feel about this!

I am shocked also but with davis back there with parker they could give the ball to either one.I am curious to see how this plays out.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:37 AM   #33
Counselor
Starter

Member Number: 5075

OK, did any one hear Myron Cope go off on a rant today on the DVE morning show about this? It was one of the funniest/most uncomfortable things I've ever heard on radio. Myron kept going on and on about how Arians "has embarassed Krieder", and asking "what is Arians doing to this offense."
Jim and Randy just kinda listened in shock, then tried to get him onto another topic. I was dying!
Counselor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 AM   #34
Kvnfaber
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6695

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancosArmy09 View Post
I'm not saying Arians won't do a good job, but these are just the type of moves that have me nervous about this season, offensively. He's basically benched an all-pro for an undrafted free agent without a single regular season game played. If Krieder were hurt,that's one thing...but can you really picture davis doing a better job blocking out of the I formation? (then again, Arians may have gotten rid of that as well...another thing that worries me.)
I share the same sentiment. I don't like the fact that Dan Krieder is getting a raw deal here. In many ways he is a symbol of Pittsburgh in his no nonsense attitude and work ethic. He is also a symbol of our hard-nosed, physical approach at beating teams down. I hope this and other stories about the Steelers becoming mesmerized by the passing game doesn't turn out like when Tommy gun was throwing the ball all over the field and totally lost sight of what the Steelers are all about.
Kvnfaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:15 AM   #35
BritishSteel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
tomlin addressed this in his press conference. of course willie needs a bit of time to get his legs under him and back in tip top game shape, but if hes up for it he will actually be getting the ball in his hands even more.

willie has worked very hard in the offseason to remain on the field for every down and tomlin said he recognizes it and appreciates it (and is all for it). of course he said gameplanning will have some effect on how many carries willie actually gets on a week to week basis.

kreider hasnt lost a step or any talent, its just that he usually telegraphs the play. defenders know to follow him to the ball more times than not. our playbook became more predictable and a move like this makes it a little less predictable...

i think its the element of suprise being cashed in on here as much as davis's multi-dimensional skills.
I think thats exactly right - I don't think it's about Dan the Beast or Verron Hayes or Davis as players so much as shaking up and freshening the Offensive playbook. I don't think there's much doubt that Davis is a more versatile FB than Dan, and I think Arians wants to give Ben a fuller suite of options, so having another, less predictable (in terms of the other team having to plan for it) player in the backfield kinda underlines that philosophy.

With the first 3rd and 1 in the season, I wouldn't mind betting that Kreider comes out. If I was to have a concern, it would be about the impact on the O-Line. Dan is a beast of a blocker - one of the best blocking FB in the league - Is Davis as good? If not, it might make life a bit more uncomfortable for Ben against Blitz-happy defences.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:38 AM   #36
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

It pains me to say this because i love watching Krieder play, but I'm not hating this move just yet remember Dan isn't going to be here next year because the team won't pay him so why not see what life without him is like now before we have no choice. I like the idea of giving Davis a chane out there if anything he should provide a good check down option for Ben. And remember the didn't cut Dan so he will be there if we need him.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:52 AM   #37
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Ya. I'm not stressing too much about this.

We've heard Arians say all offseason that he's looking for a more lucrative offense through the pass game.

This is probably going to somewhat mimic the Pony offensive package that the Saints like to run with both Duece and Bush on the field. A little thunder and lightning option.

I find it hard to believe that on short yardage I formation we aren't going to see Kreider, but this definitely opens up the passing game a little bit.

Davis and Willie will probably get a lot of looks in the flats since our WRs have proved that they can block pretty well down field.

I'll make my judgments after I see how a spread offense works in Pittsburgh. Surely its a change from what we are used to, but its a changing league.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #38
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

We'll have to see, but I don't like the decision so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #39
shutdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1445

Our oline is suspect, no doubt about it. Mahan hasnt proven himself, Colon is a first timer, Faneca is a bitch, and Smith is shakey.

We need our run game to be effective and the only one who knows how to block back there is Kreider. He sprung Willie for the TD against Philly and sprung Davis for the huge yardage against the Saints.

They're trying to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much like the Colts but its not going to happen. This will be a big mistake and if they keep him in for too long our running game wont even make a dent.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:28 AM   #40
GeneralRobinson
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5611

I'm willing to give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt. I assume that they have observed enough of each player's effectiveness in training to make their decision.

Dan Kreider has talent and is a good full-back, but he is not an All-Pro or Pro Bowl fullback, evidenced by the fact that he has been named to neither team. Also, despite his quality, Pittsburgh was ineffective running the ball on the road last year, so his performance could not have been overwhelmingly good enough in the face of such struggles. One would think it makes sense that we need to try a different strategy this year, and, apparently, Carey Davis has proven to the coaches that he is the better option.
GeneralRobinson is offline   Reply With Quote