Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #51
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Davis gets nod over Kreider

I'm surprised to see this much outrage over this minor move. After all, it's one game, and Davis obviously has done something that impressed the coaches enough to warrant the decision. Kreider is still on the team, and, who knows? Maybe he comes in, takes over and plays for 15 1/2 regular season games?

I always defer to the coaches and hate to second guess them on these kinds of things.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #52
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

Add this move to the list of things I am not happy with. Right up there with bringing in Ken Anderson as QB coach.

Dan Kreider is more than just the FB on this team, just like Faneca is more than another LG. I just don't like this move.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #53
TommyG
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6069

I will be interesting to give Davis a shot at producing some offense...Kreider is a great blocker but I am not sold on his ability to produce big plays and take screens and dump offs for more than a couple yards....You can always bring him back in.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:29 AM   #54
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,338 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG View Post
I will be interesting to give Davis a shot at producing some offense...Kreider is a great blocker but I am not sold on his ability to produce big plays and take screens and dump offs for more than a couple yards....You can always bring him back in.
I agree you also get the speed out of davis for screens and dumpoffs where kreider don't have.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:41 AM   #55
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

We have traditionally lived and died by the run. I have to be a little concerned that perhaps Davis got the nod over Kreider due to his "pass catching" ability..and that ...maybe...we by sitting Kreider are going to lose something from the run game.
I am hoping the decision to go with Davis is predicated on something more than who had the better hands. Noone in the league blocks better than Kreider and I would hate to "rob Peter to pay Paul" in order to open up our passing game.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #56
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
We have traditionally lived and died by the run. I have to be a little concerned that perhaps Davis got the nod over Kreider due to his "pass catching" ability..and that ...maybe...we by sitting Kreider are going to lose something from the run game.
I am hoping the decision to go with Davis is predicated on something more than who had the better hands. Noone in the league blocks better than Kreider and I would hate to "rob Peter to pay Paul" in order to open up our passing game.

My suspicion is that you will still see Krieder for 15 or 20 plays a game.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #57
Galvanized Steel
Water Boy

Member Number: 6585

Relax, kids.

Kreider will get the chance to knock the snot out of many a linebacker before the season's through...and probably in this game as well. Davis may be more versatile, but Kreider's more experienced and the better pure run blocker...and the coaches are not blind.

It seems that Tomlin's aim is to keep the team a bit edgy re: personnel moves and playing time, making sure that none of Cowher's boys take things for granted or challenge the Alpha Dog. So long, Joey. Take a seat, Max. Hey Chukki, there's no such thing as entitlement in the NFL. Are you listening, Alan?

Parcells had success with the Alpha Dog thing, then worked this angle to a dysfunctional degree. I think Tomlin is smarter than that, and is (very carefully) picking his spots.

If I'm Tomlin and I want to drive home the "take nothing for granted" mentality in week one, I start Davis at fullback and keep him in for a series or three. Gets everyone's attention...if you show skills and work hard, you get opportunity. And fullback is the best (safest) place to pick for this in the Steelers offense. And...when Kreider does get in, and he will, some poor Clevelander is going to pay big time.

So, this isn't about Kreider vs. Davis, and Dan shouldn't take it personally. This is about every player knowing that Tomlin will continue to be looking at their skills and performance, not just history and reputation. Tomlin has to put his money where his mouth is at some position to make sure that the start of the season doesn't signal "same old, same, old" to anyone...everybody's got to stay on the gas pedal. Again, if Tomlin wants to drive that point home, fullback's the best and safest choice.
Galvanized Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:45 PM   #58
ews423
Water Boy

Member Number: 6729

The reports make it sound as though Kreider will not even dress games he is not starting. Look for him to be on the sidelines in street clothes tomorrow.
ews423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 PM   #59
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364

i feel like dan has been a behind the scenes guy,solid to say the least.i'm not sure how i feel about that move,but.then again there is no tomlin era yet.i say let it play out,and dan is not cut yet.i don't think he will be,because it has not been shown yet where this offense is going.speculation thus far.i think the PORT is going to have a favorable game.take the eyes off of willie,and then................................oooooooo boy,watch out.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #60
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364
Lightbulb Re: Davis gets nod over Kreider

Quote:
Originally Posted by oljoe28 View Post
It's funny that you mentioned, "Tomlin's era." It seems as though, he wants young players now to rebuild for the future. I personally don't believe that we have to make that adjustment now. We inked Simmons to a 4yr deal and then there is the best OL in national football, Faneca. For goodness sake, take care of the man and sign him nicely. He let go of the only kicker in football history to never have a punt block and didn't give Joey Porter a chance to say, no...I understand that Tomlin is young and wants a team to grow with him, but he hasn't proven anything on offense yet. However, I believe that our defense will be superb this season, partly because of him.

Steelers 24
Browns 6
we already been down that road sir,why have a punter like that?who really cares if you never had a blocked punt in 9,000 tries if you can only punt it 30 yds,when you need 50.obviously the steelers,who are known for a strong offensive line,have someone in mind for fanecas replacement.do you think the front office will let him go,unless they had someone in mind.they watch football to you know.please stop critizing the new coach until he does create an era.
each coach that has come to us had thier own way of doing things,and coach tomlin is no different. just let him run the team like he sees fit,i personally like how is not tipping his hand.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote