Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-25-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
gasnmyveins
Water Boy

Member Number: 668
Default Can anyone tell me why......

Cowher left so much time on the clock? The offense seemed to have gotten it all together on that last drive. Why didn't he run the ball a few times to eat some clock? I was screaming at the TV, "NOOOOOOOOO, RUN THE $%^##$%o BALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Who in their right mind leaves Tom Brady with a minute plus on the clock needing only a field goal? Sure, the game would have gone into overtime, but I think it would have been OK, as long as we got the ball first. Ben and the guys seemed to have recovered from whatever had happened to them. Maybe Ben was banged up from that hit worse than we knew, but he did well on that last drive.

BTW It wasn't all ARE's fault. A large part, yes, but not all. Let's also thank whoever neutralized the field goal with his penalty, and (as I've mentioned) Bill Cowher, for leaving Brady some time to do his thing.
gasnmyveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Default Re: Can anyone tell me why......

The main goal of playing football is to score. You have to score when you get the chance. You cant wait and wait, especially w/ the way our offense was performing today. If you have the chance to score, you take it because there may not be another one.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Talk about 20/20 hindsight - Blitz is right - when you are playing the defending champs you take any chnace you can to score.

There is absolutely no way you can run a couple of plays in the 'knowledge' that you will be able to convert a 3rd or 4th and goal - what if you dont? The you have egg on your face.

You have to back your D to be able to hold a team out of FG range for 81 secs - unfortunatly Brady makes a living from these sort of drives - but there is very little you can do apart from make a big play on that last drive.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:01 AM   #4
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

I thought one more run was the right call... I think you have to run the clock down just a bit, and then run your best plays. You have three chances and who says the run on first down doesn't score. I thought we should have called a run...

As soon as we scored I knew 1:21 was to much time. I think you have to run it down a little... I do it all the time in Madden.

Last edited by BB2W; 09-26-2005 at 09:05 AM.
BB2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
figg
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 416

I didnt mind it at all. I was actually calling for the play action pass. (just like in last years AFCCG when we didnt score )
Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #6
SteelCurtain
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 571

You definately take the score when you can get it, especially against a team like the Patriots...i'm just upset they didn't use their last timeout to get them some time left to take a couple shots down the field or even call it before the snap so vinatieri could think about missin that field goal a little more
Old 09-26-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

Yeah, I wasn't worried as much about the time left as the inability of our kicker to nail the ball into the endzone preventing a start on the 40 yd. line. This is the second time I can remember loosing a game because we set our defense up to fail with just seconds left. Hopefully this will be addressed.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

You call the play action. We always run on first and it looked like they expected it heavy in the goaline as well. 3 Pats hugging each other as Ward goes by. Take the 6 everytime.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:21 PM   #9
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Bottom line... We did score to early, and we did leave Tom Brady to much time. I think if there is something you can do to control that, you must.

"When I looked up and saw 1:21 left (after Pittsburgh scored), I said, 'What more can you want?'" Brady said.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:29 PM   #10
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

I felt we could have ran at least one running play. I mean, if we can't score with 4 shots from the 2 with a running play....
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote