Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,518 Times in 3,751 Posts
Default ESPN Sports Guy Bill Simmons- Steelers To Playoffs

ESPN Sports Guy Bill Simmons not surprisingly picks his Pats to win it all (if he could he would pick the Red Sox to also make the Super Bowl), but he has the Steelers as his #8 team (he says they will go 10-6 and lose in the second round of the playoffs, which sounds about right to me). Here is Simmons' take on the Steelers:

THE ENIGMAS

8. Pittsburgh
They could go 5-11 or 13-3 and I wouldn't be surprised. Ben Roethlisberger and Willie Parker could make the Pro Bowl or lose their jobs and I wouldn't be surprised. Santonio Holmes could be the fantasy breakout star of 2007 or a waiver wire staple by November and I wouldn't be surprised. Hell, Hines Ward could go an entire week without getting the red flag slapped next to his name in fantasy report, and I wouldn't be surprised. I'm prepared for any scenario.

Here's the X factor: Usually when a team hires a new coach, the players react in one of two ways: If the guy is succeeding a drill sergeant, they play the "It's a whole different atmosphere here, he treats us like men, it's nice to have fun playing football again" card. If the guy is succeeding a player's coach, they play the "He's a no-nonsense guy who makes sure we're totally prepared, we needed that around here, we got a little soft, we needed someone to kick us in the ass" card. But the reactions to Mike Tomlin didn't fit either category -- the various quotes from players sounded like this:

"He's still feeling us out and we're still feeling him out."
"He's definitely a hard guy to read, no question."
"It's definitely been a little different this camp, that's for sure."

You know what it all sounds like? Code language for "THIS GUY SUCKS! WE HATE HIM! BRING BACK COWHER!" On the other hand, last year's Pittsburgh team committed too many mistakes when it mattered and had one of those textbook Super Bowl Hangover seasons. So maybe the players needed a kick in the collective ass. Let's stick them at No. 8 to be safe. By the way, I'm feeling a big year from Big Ben.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...7&sportCat=nfl
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #2
shutdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 1445
Default Re: ESPN Sports Guy Bill Simmons- Steelers To Playoffs

Ya, just got done reading that.

I never heard the guys saying stuff like that. Anyone else have?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
WisconsinSteelerMan
Bench Warmer

Location: La Crosse, Wisconsin (but still a Pittsburgher at heart!!!)
Member Number: 1388

I think that they may have said that at the beginning of camp...everything was new....everything was different. By the end of camp, I have heard nothing but admiration and respect for Tomlin from the players who's quotes made it in the papers and online...

I have, though, heard players say things like "no-nonsense" and "fun playing football" so I think that Tomlin is a mix of the two types of coaches listed.

The proof will begin on Sunday when we PLAY A REAL GAME!

Here we go Steelers!!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
WisconsinSteelerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #4
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Where did you find that? In his section of ESPN the mag he never stopped talking about the Sox... Oh nevermind, I remember now... It said 'more of The Sports Guy online' or something like that...
Old 09-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #5
rpkachik
Water Boy

Member Number: 6303

speaking for espn, i was watching sportcenter and berman picked the browns for an upset this week?!?!?! WTF????
rpkachik is offline   Reply With Quote