Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-07-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
delhess
Starter

Member Number: 5509
Default how important is a win???

well, i've been thinking about this opening week matchup. almost everyone thinks the steelers should be able to handily beat the browns, me included. is there a chance that this game is far more important than we think at first glance.

we have a new coach, a "easy" opening schedule, a new offense, new offensive coordinator, new running backs coach, just to name a few. we have been told by tomlin that things are going to be different. ben will have more control, the offense is going to spread the ball around a little more. we all believe that we will be better than last year.

of course we all want to win, however, do we think about what the consequences could be if we lose??

what if we lose this one?? the fans will question tomlin, that is for sure. will the players question tomlin?? we have all been sipping the "tomlin coolaid" (i have been as much as anybody!) but will it suddenly taste bitter, and we spit it out??

and what about that "easy schedule". wouldn't it suddenly look much more formidable, like a hurdle. would 8-8 look like a reality, if not a gift.

that terrible, unthinkable, unfathomable, god forsaken, thing : to lose to the cleveland browns, would it break our hearts and be a sign of bad things to come??

on the other hand the browns would relish in a win over the dictator of the division, the "drunken sailer" who comes home and beats them like an unwanted stepchild year after year, and doesn't think a thing about it?

all i know is, you better win this one steelers, for your coach and for yourself!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #2
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: how important is a win???

I think in general a win is very important. With only 16 games one win makes or breaks you, we saw that last season. Spefically this weekend I think it's important to win because losing to such a horrible team would shatter morale...
Old 09-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

I always think the first game is one of the most important it helps to get the momentum started.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,291 Times in 471 Posts

As ShutDown24 pointed out, every game is important in a sport with only a 16-game regular season. However, as this is a divisional game, and the AFC is going to be extremely competitive again, it is even more important than, say, a game against a NFC opponent.

Last edited by fansince'76; 09-07-2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Typo
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:37 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

It's not important at all. We should lose 583-0 just for the hell of it. Make it a point Tomlin...get on it.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

To win the division you have to hold serve at home and win at least one road game. Which do you see as the more likely road win - Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Baltimore?

A win in the first game with a new coach where not everyone on the team or among the Steeler faithful (Myron) seems to be completely on board is important. A road win against the weakest team in the division is crucial to any prospect of winning the AFC North.

FWIW Chris Mortenson (who lives in ATL) was on Atlanta sports talk on this evening's drive time and picked the Browns as his upset special of the week - Mort thinks Winslow and Jamaal Lewis will come up big on Sunday.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,365 Times in 4,303 Posts

plus the steelers dont wanna disappoint the 30,000 steelerfans at Snausages Field on sunday.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
steelpride12
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 5713

Its a big deal to get this win and give us a big momentum into the rest of the season. A loss could really hurt our self asteem def. to a team like the browns, but going out and burning them and making a statement is what we need.
steelpride12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Not only is a win important, but I think in this case, the margin of win is important.

There are only two scenarios that we come from this game, feeling good about ourselves.

1. We have a bad first half, and fall behind. The second half, we hit our stride, and come from behind to tattoo the Browns with about 21 points to win by a touchdown or two, more the likely two. The scenario works because everyone will pronounce that it was a first game under a new system with a new coach, and it took a half to get things going.

2. We go up by 21 early, and stay up by that much, either by shutting down the game, or by putting up more points (however, the browns scoring 2 touchdowns in real time, not junk time, will be seeing as a harbinger of bad days ahead) then the Browns.

Anything else will be interpreted as a bad game. If we are up by 10, then by 7, then by 14, then by 11, then by 8, etc... it will NOT be considered a good game... and you will hear a whisper here and a whisper there.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

Its a division game.. Its always a must win.. And if you look at stats we have won are last 4 season open games. We have demolished the browns in the last 6 meetings of putting up at least 24 points and putting up as much as 41. I would vote on us to win this hands down. And plus I do not see a improved browns team. Only way we loose this is if we beat our selfs.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote