Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917
Default I'm not convinced

I'm so happy with today's win, but this kind of play won't hold up against any playoff caliber team. The Ravens? Hell no...Pats, forget about it! None of those teams will play as bad as the Browns did, or turn the ball over as many times.

I'm glad the easy games are in the begining so we can get them out of the way and get off to a good start, but the Steelers have alot to improve.

blocking lacked consistancy

Ben looks alot better, but still throws behind the reciever sometimes, and takes too long in the pocket. Overall though, he improved alot

Dropped balls - this really needs to be addressed, but some of them were a result of Ben throwing it too behind the reciever

Despite the score, the offense isn't explosive enough

defense looked GREAT

special teams looked SOLID

I think next week, the Steelers will look much better

Steelers 27 Bills 6
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Re: I'm not convinced

I couldn't see the game on TV, but following along online, it seemed like the Steeler corners gave up some big-yardage plays on that Browns scoring drive, and on some other possessions as well. I know we had the game well in hand by that time, but still.....seems to me that the corner problems continue, and that makes me worried for when we actually play a real football team.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,169 Times in 432 Posts

It's only one game - I wouldn't crown the Chargers OR Bears as playoff-bound teams based on what I've seen today either. And do I really need to mention the Saints the other night?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

I agree the second quarter was a disgrace for the offense but it is week one and they played well in the third quarter - defenses will still be sharper than offenses because nobody plays in preseason - let's wait until we see how sharp the Ravens are tomorrow night before we concede those games.

And FWIW they did manage to eke out a 34-7 win with a 31-7 lead after 3 quarters on the road - imagine what we would be saying if they only covered the spread.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #5
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
It's only one game - I wouldn't crown the Chargers OR Bears as playoff-bound teams based on what I've seen today either. And do I really need to mention the Saints the other night?
I usually agree with what you have to say, but not here

We have dominated the Browns in recent history for a long time, so this was expected.

The Chargers and Bears are much closer, skill/talent wise, than the Steelers and Browns. The Saints played the defending SuperBowl Champ Colts.

It is too quick to make judgements, but if the Steelers play like they did today against other teams, they're not going to win many games.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
I usually agree with what you have to say, but not here

We have dominated the Browns in recent history for a long time, so this was expected.

The Chargers and Bears are much closer, skill/talent wise, than the Steelers and Browns. The Saints played the defending SuperBowl Champ Colts.

It is too quick to make judgements, but if the Steelers play like they did today against other teams, they're not going to win many games.
??? - they covered the spread by 23 (and1/2) - if someone told me going into the game they would win by 27 I would have taken it - leaving aside the Pats, Denver, and Ravens road games, how many teams on the schedule will beat them based on those teams performance in week one?

Mike Tomlin - welcome to the expectations of Steelers Nation
Old 09-09-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
xbroughneck
Team Captain

Member Number: 5743

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post

I don't expect the Steelers to have a bad quarter like they did in the second quarter of todays game again. That was probably the worst 2nd quarter I've ever seen them play.

That said, they dominated for two quarters and coasted during the last half of quarter #5.

I think today's second quarter was the exception, not the rule. I don't think the Steelers are as good as New England and the Colts, but if Ben doesn't turn the ball over I'd say the Steelers are definitely in that second tier of talent (Bears, Chargers, Seahawks).
xbroughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbroughneck View Post
I don't expect the Steelers to have a bad quarter like they did in the second quarter of todays game again. That was probably the worst 2nd quarter I've ever seen them play.
I take it you missed watching the 2003 season or the last quarter of the Steelers-Bengals game last September?
Old 09-09-2007, 05:58 PM   #9
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
I couldn't see the game on TV, but following along online, it seemed like the Steeler corners gave up some big-yardage plays on that Browns scoring drive, and on some other possessions as well. I know we had the game well in hand by that time, but still.....seems to me that the corner problems continue, and that makes me worried for when we actually play a real football team.
The Browns completed some passes on one drive, and the TD was on a blitz which left the back uncovered. Other blitzes, the QB didn't have time to find that guy. For most of the game, our corners shut them down, and at least two sacks were coverage sacks.

I was impressed with the D. If you'd have seen the game, you'd have liked what you saw; for the most part, the secondary was all over the Browns.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
Newzfoxjr
Starter

Member Number: 4116

The Browns sucked, but they ARE a division "rival", if you will. So it's going to be rougher, all be the ass-kicking, than a game against someone outside the division. I think we're good. I mean, Ben having 4 TDs and the Defense doing as well as I hear, after last year, brings a smile to my face. I think we're in the hunt this year.

Steelers 27, Bills 10
Newzfoxjr is offline   Reply With Quote