Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 09-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default 1) Stronger. 2) Faster. 3) Smarter.

I watched the game with my Dad, and we discussed it at length afterwards.

The defense... it was Steelers defense. Swarming. How about those corners? At least two of the sacks were coverage sacks. Smartest play I saw all day? Polamalu blitzing, then pulling up short and jumping when he saw the play going over and behind him. It caused a high pass that went incomplete. A small moment in a game of big plays, but man. Heady move, Troy. Very Jack Ham-like.

The offense, it looked different, a little bit, but not that much. I think they spread it out a bit more than I'm used to seeing.

But overall, our assessment is, the Steelers are a physically stronger team, and they seem faster, quicker, as well. And they played smarter overall. They were more focused and more controlled. The attitude seemed more like the playoff stretch of '05 than it did for the first game of last year.

The offense looked good, sure, but there is still some work to do. I think that is to be expected; offense relies on timing and teamwork, and they'll get better as the season moves forward. Overall, I think they were impressive.

So, that's my call. It's not that the schemes on offense and defense look all that different; maybe they are, I can't tell. But the players themselves look more like THE STEELERS than they did last year. These guys are ready to play!

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,117 Times in 3,204 Posts
Default Re: 1) Stronger. 2) Faster. 3) Smarter.

I liked one of the initial series where Frye could not complete the pass because Townsend lined up on the line of scrimmage and jumped the route at the Browns 28 or 29 to break up the 7-8 yard pass - you know the Browns thought that pass would be there based on our playing 10 yards off the receiver the last several years
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,020 Times in 3,428 Posts

i didnt see the game mosca, only heard it on the radio. the steelers said they were gonna have ike taylor follow b. edwards and man him up while they bookended k. winslow. is this how it played out? the statline would show clark and smith had better games. was troy used more in coverage? or was he up at the line causing deception?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i didnt see the game mosca, only heard it on the radio. the steelers said they were gonna have ike taylor follow b. edwards and man him up while they bookended k. winslow. is this how it played out? the statline would show clark and smith had better games. was troy used more in coverage? or was he up at the line causing deception?
Sometimes it's the way the game is televised that leads you to conclusions. For a DB, a great game is when they never call your name (unless it's an interception). At least that's how I read it.

Taylor's name went uncalled until the end; exactly what you'd expect when a guy does a shut-down. Winslow got open a few times and had some nice plays, but he had some drops, and at least twice he had some drops because he heard footsteps. The guy is good. I wouldn't have him on my team, but he's good. Most of his catches were medium passes that split seams.

The Browns TD was a blitz, the back got around end and was wide open. It was a play where they finally called what we were doing AND executed. Once a game, that's gonna happen.

Troy was Troy. I saw him more in the backfield on blitzes than I did down field. A couple times I saw him line up at the line, then sprint back into deep coverage while the signals were being called.

Sepulveda is what we hoped for; his kicks don't hit and die, they hit and roll sideways... which is the kind of roll that sooner or later is going to bounce off some returner's leg as he tries to get out of the way. And he did it on 4 or 5 kicks in a row, it's not random. The kid is good, really good.

The field was wet, the ball was wet. The offense looked sloppy at times, but offense relies on timing. It'll get better. If we look sloppy and hit for 30+ points, I'll take that. Even against the Browns; they showed up on every play.

And the running game did its Bettis interpretation, closing out the game with 18 straight running plays. I say we don't need the Bus to make that happen, no sir.

These guys are going to punish some people.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I liked one of the initial series where Frye could not complete the pass because Townsend lined up on the line of scrimmage and jumped the route at the Browns 28 or 29 to break up the 7-8 yard pass - you know the Browns thought that pass would be there based on our playing 10 yards off the receiver the last several years

Yeah, I notice a number of times that the short slant was taken away by scheming. It seems that our CB's are coming underneath, and allowing the Safeties to pick up the route on top. That may be way Clark is starting over Smith...

Great job Steelers!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Just a couple other things that need addressing. Punting game was outstanding. 5 punts inside the 20? Jeff Reed was almost perfect, and I've never seen multiple touchbacks in one game. The kick coverage was great, too.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Just a couple other things that need addressing. Punting game was outstanding. 5 punts inside the 20? Jeff Reed was almost perfect, and I've never seen multiple touchbacks in one game. The kick coverage was great, too.
And I think one of Jeff's kicks got to the end zone and Cribbs ran it anyway, so that one could have been a touchback too.

I think the best thing of the game for me was seeing Ike intercepting anderson. He's ready to establish himself as the #1 CB in the team and a potential shutdown corner.
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 PM   #8
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Just a couple other things that need addressing. Punting game was outstanding. 5 punts inside the 20?
That's our Dan - the Steelers were kind enough to provide us with a monster talent AND some gorgeous eye candy, all in one yummy package!

Seriously though, how awesome was pinning them inside the 20 FIVE times?????
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I think the best thing of the game for me was seeing Ike intercepting anderson. He's ready to establish himself as the #1 CB in the team and a potential shutdown corner.
Here's a perfect example of what Mike Tomlin is going to mean to this team. Ike was relegated to the bench last year and all but written off. Tomlin comes in and says basically, I like what I see of you on film and I think you're better than you played last season, now show me that you deserve the job. Ike was inspired to work hard, Tomlin's sang Ike's praises to the media, and today's performance is the beginning of the payoff.

Im not implying that Ike will be perfect, or even that he won't struggle at times, but when you understand how to build up your talented players like Tomlin does, wonderful things are going to happen.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:

Punting was amazing... He KILLED the ball at the five... How in the world do you get an oblong ball to bounce STRAIGHT UP and down...and then die?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote