Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-27-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Thumbs down Ken W. is not a happy camper

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_378600.html

Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt has many options at his disposal.

His unit is ranked sixth overall in the league, featuring the NFL's top-rated quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger, the No. 3 rusher in Willie Parker, the No. 3 scorer in Hines Ward, and two wideouts in Ward and Antwaan Randle El who rank among the top 10 in receiving yards.

Moreover, Roethlisberger is one of two starters who has yet to throw and interception.

Whisenhunt, however, is dissatisfied.

He's dissatisfied because of his unit's breakdown in Sunday's 23-20 loss to the Patriots at Heinz Field.

The Steelers could not run the ball (AFC rushing leader Parker was held to 55 yards on 17 carries); they couldn't convert third downs (3 of 13); they made a number of ill-advised plays, including a failed lateral from Randle El to Ward; and the offensive line got beat up front.

The Steelers finished with just 269 yards (79 rushing, 190 net passing), went 1 of 3 in the red zone and controlled the ball for just 24:37.

"We just didn't play good, bottom line," said Whisenhunt. "It wasn't a question of what New England was doing. We just had too many breakdowns individually that led to bad plays."

The Patriots, who set up in a 4-3 defense much of the game, were not particularly complex in what they did. They blitzed at times, but, more importantly, they outmuscled the Steelers.

"They weren't even playing any schemes," Whisenhunt said. "We just didn't play good. Sometimes, that happens."

Whisenhunt has 12 days to cure what ailed his offense. The Steelers don't play again until Monday night, Oct. 10, in San DieSgo. He'll likely look closely at Roethlisberger, who had a higher passer rating than the Patriots' Tom Brady (93.8 to 92.7), but Roethlisberger missed on more than 50 percent of his passes for just the third time in his career, and threw incomplete on six third-down opportunities that ended drives.

Roethlisberger is not to blame for all of the failed execution on third down -- Randle El missed a perfect pass to open the third quarter - though he had more than his share of off-target attempts, a rarity by his counterpart, Brady.

Roethlisberger was sacked four times, a number that could have doubled if not for his agility. But he also got antsy, at times, being chased Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork and Willie McGinest regularly. That forced him to leave the pocket too quickly on occasion or to throw off-target.

"He has to understand where his check-downs are sometimes," Whisenhunt said of Roethlisberger. "But we can't take away what he does."

The Patriots took away the Steelers running game by winning in the trenches. Whisenhunt could add some power to that rushing attack with Duce Staley and Jerome Bettis. Staley made his first appearance of the season Sunday, and Bettis, inactive all season, should be ready to play in San Diego.

"We'll have to see how that works out," Whisenhunt said. "I think Verron (Haynes) and Willie have been playing well. The thing you do know is that Duce and Jerome are good players and you have to get them involved."

Asked what he plans to do in helping his offense regroup, Whisenhunt was quick with an answer.

"I don't think it has anything to do with me . It's those guys, they have pride in what they do," he said. "You can look at me and say, 'What can I do better?' Maybe I didn't put us in the best situations I could. But it's one game. They've been playing well the first two games. You have to believe in what you're doing and stick with that."
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:04 AM   #2
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508
Default Re: Ken W. is not a happy camper

hopefully we come out in two weeks and just pour it on the chargers, the chargers made eli look like the second coming of peyton manning so hopefully ben will have the same success through the air like he did. hopefully willie will come out and run all over them. and hopefully our D can stop them from freakin converting half their damn 3rd down conversions
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Yeah I definately we need to go out and make a statement in this game! Pour it on and do whatever it takes to jump out early and put them out of their game plan !!
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:40 AM   #4
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Absolutely Blitz. We need to rebound from this game and correct the errors we made. If we do that it will make us a better team. I am hoping the offensive line holds up better and that the tight ends are used more. They can be a dangerous weapon.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:14 AM   #5
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

The Steelers will have their plate full again trying to keep LT and Antonio Gates in check.
Hopefully we come off the bye rested up and play crisp, mistake free football.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:57 AM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I think what I said about the Pats being 'battle-hardened' this season after two tough games (one being a defeat) has turned out pretty relevant.

Sometimes you learn you best lessons in defeat, and the Steelers learnt 10-times as much on sunday than they did in the first two weeks - there is plenty of time to absorb these lessons and keep improving.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:37 AM   #7
CowherLover
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 122

I hope our D ia well rested cause it's gonna be a long day at the office. McCardell is playing like he's in his twenties again so our secondary better be ready also. I think this is going to be a relatively high scoring game. With us coming out on top of course. Man I can't wait to see the Bus take the field!
CowherLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 09:56 PM   #8
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

The last part of that article scares me. I know we didn't play up to par, but we didn't exactly make any super adjustments either...
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:05 PM   #9
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Yeah I definately we need to go out and make a statement in this game! Pour it on and do whatever it takes to jump out early and put them out of their game plan !!
pour it on them? us do that? ha, if we get a 3 point lead in the second quarter we'll still run a million times hopin to run out the clock.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 08:18 AM   #10
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past
I think what I said about the Pats being 'battle-hardened' this season after two tough games (one being a defeat) has turned out pretty relevant.

Sometimes you learn you best lessons in defeat, and the Steelers learnt 10-times as much on sunday than they did in the first two weeks - there is plenty of time to absorb these lessons and keep improving.

Cheers

NM
I agree with this. Losing though bitter in taste, is kinda good cause even last year you sensed the reg season win against the Pats was only a false sense of security. At least with the loss, should we meet again, we know nothing but the best will due in order to secure a win. We know we still have to manage 3rd downs and control turnovers.