Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342
Default The Fonz

This performance among Brady's best

By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff ?|? September 28, 2005

It might be that Tom Brady's classic fourth-quarter 12-for-12 performance Sunday at Pittsburgh brought him to an even higher atmosphere among NFL quarterbacks, if that's possible. Never has Brady received so much respect and admiration following one regular-season game, not only from his teammates but from the opposing team.

Steelers receiver Hines Ward, on the late drive that set up the last-second field goal: ''That's Tom Brady. Tom Brady is the best quarterback in football." Casey Hampton: ''We chased him around and put some pressure on him, but he's Tom Brady, you know." Steeler after Steeler talked about Brady in superlatives.

Sunday's game seemed to elevate Brady to a new echelon. And there's a reason for that. After Brady's mentor, Charlie Weis, went to Notre Dame, it was clear this would be a transitional season. The respect he's gained in the Patriots locker room is off the charts, especially now, when he's been given more responsibility in terms of play-calling and leadership.

''I call him The Fonz," said punter Josh Miller. ''He's so cool, doesn't get rattled. The clock's ticking, no timeouts, we're cool, we're fine, wins the game, and immediately after the game, what's he do? He gives credit to everyone else on the planet Earth.

''He's got everybody believing in him. It's just awesome. I mean, I've been here for 20 minutes -- it's been a year and a half -- and it's been a great pleasure."

And then something off the field seems to crystallize what's even more important than Brady the quarterback: Brady the person. Here's an excerpt from a letter written by Jason McMahon, a part-time sportswriter from Mt. Horeb, Wis.:

''Dear Tom,

''My name is Jason McMahon, and I am from Mt. Horeb, Wisconsin. I met you in February 2002 after a practice for your first Pro Bowl, but I'm sure you won't remember me. You may remember my brother, Chris, however. He was at the Pro Bowl, along with our family, through the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Chris was 15 at the time, and he was one of a few kids in wheelchairs. But he was the only one wearing a No. 12 New England Patriots jersey.

''When we were at that Pro Bowl practice, we were all very anxious to see how you would interact with the children, and Chris in particular. So we probably watched you a little more closely than we watched the rest of the players. But what we saw was so touching.

''You spent more time with Chris than any other player that came through, though that was not surprising, given his choice of attire. But you also spent so much time with all of the children who were there. You didn't just stop and sign an autograph and maybe pose for a picture; you gave them all a conversation, something they would cherish long after those autographed footballs were tucked away on a shelf or boxed up in a basement.

''But more than that, two things specifically impressed me. With my brother and every child in a wheelchair, you knelt down so you could talk to them face to face. No other player did that, not a one. Such a small gesture, but one that carried so much meaning to those who were on the receiving end. And you were also the only player that day to do one other thing -- no other NFL all-star took the time to stop and say goodbye to the kids on their way out of the locker room. Some players stopped on their way in, some on their way out, but you were the only one who stopped for the children going both ways.

''My family and I have told that story countless times, and we will never forget it. I don't know if Chris mentioned this to you at the time, but that trip to Hawaii came at a very difficult time for our family. Less than a month earlier, we had lost my other brother, Matt, to muscular dystrophy. He was 21 at the time. He was my best friend, but he also had a unique bond with Chris, who missed him terribly after he was gone. Chris' experience meeting you was a sorely needed wonderful memory for our entire family.

''I have always meant to write to you somehow and tell you that. I wish I had a happier reason for finally getting around to it, but unfortunately I don't. Chris passed away on Friday night. His physical abilities had deteriorated over time, as is the case with all kids who have MD, though he had been in relatively good health. He had a few respiratory issues over the years, and he could not stave off his latest bout with pneumonia, which came on Thursday and took him in just two days. He just turned 19 a month and a half ago. We always knew this day would come, but we were blindsided by how soon and especially how quick. Chris didn't even know what was hitting him. Our parents were with him in the ambulance, and his final words, just minutes before he died, were 'Dad, this isn't the big one.'

''He never did get around to becoming a Michigan fan, as you asked him to do. He graduated last spring, and was taking classes at Wisconsin this fall (he was even at his Thursday afternoon class). He certainly would have enjoyed the game on Saturday, though he would have enjoyed your game on Sunday even more. We couldn't help but wonder if he had a hand in the infamous clock mishap.

''Chris drew one very bad break, growing up with a disease that would take him away from us long before we were all ready to say goodbye. But despite that, he was able to collect so many wonderful experiences and forge so many fabulous memories. I just wanted to write and tell you that his brief, yet so incredibly meaningful encounter with you that day in Hawaii was right up there on top of the list, and it will be a memory that the rest of his family will cherish as long as we all live."

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...g_bradys_best/
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: The Fonz

Casey Hampton" We chased him around all day" ??? Didnt see much pressure in the fourth quarter.

Brady went out and played catch in the fourth quarter. His guys were so wide open that he never really had to complete a great pass. I`ve never had a problem admiting that Brady is unrattlable. He is calm, and cool in the pocket. He will be a first ballot HOF`er. But we can beat him. I know we can. We had oppurtunities, and the Pats also had more opps. But we were in the game until the end. And it was a bad game for us.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,865 Times in 2,110 Posts

http://www.steelers.com/article/57359/

WTF????????????????????????
-----------------------------------------------

Patriots Players

88 ? Christian Fauria

Tom Brady on the final drive?

[Whispering] Oh, I love it. I love that guy! I wish he didn?t have a girlfriend. [Laughing] Did I say that out loud? I did, didn?t I? There?s no other guy you want in that position. Hands down.

lmao! he went on to blabber how happy he was to win.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:59 PM   #4
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Rodong Sinmun with the North Korean News Agency recently released this statement about Kim Jong Il...see any similarities?

The Korean people regard it as their most worthwhile life to uphold Secretary Kim Jong Il and live and work in perfect harmony with him. The Korean people absolutely worship, trust and follow the General as god. These noble ideological feelings are ascribable to the fact that they have keenly felt the greatness of the General from the bottom of their hearts. He is the great teacher who teaches them what the true life is, a father who provides them with the noblest political integrity and a tender-hearted benefactor who brings their worthwhile life into full bloom. The life of the Korean people who form a harmonious whole with the General is a revolutionary life to glorify their noblest political integrity. This is why they have unbendingly advanced the revolution with an unshakable faith, not wavering under any obstacles and trials. The General is the mental pillar and the eternal sun to the Korean people. As they are in harmonious whole with him, they are enjoying a true life based on pure conscience and obligation. They are upholding him as their great father and teacher, united around him in ideology, morality and obligation. So, their life is a true, fruitful and precious life without an equal in history.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

But this might work...

"The people of the fanbase of the New England People have stopped the advances of all other teams. The losses accumulated in the form of injuries sustained at the hands of the Filthy whoremongering Steelers of the town of Pittsburgh by the Patriots of New England mean nothing, as the filthy pig-dog swine in the rest of the National Football League will soon discover. The Patriots of New England are Blessed by Allah, and we will see the blood of our enemies flow through the streets. As you can see, everything is fine. The Patriots of New England have, through divine intervention, already won the title for the year, but the filth and the rabble of the rest of the league have simply not accepted this fact yet...I speak only the truth.?
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:59 PM   #6
hardwork
Banned

"But we can beat him. I know we can."

We can beat those Viet Cong. Just give us 200,000 more troops. We'll beat 'em.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:02 PM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Wait a minute, since when is brady viet cong ??
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:14 PM   #8
hardwork
Banned

Since Ranger pronounced him a terrorist.

I like that idea. Brady terrorizes the NFL.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:04 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
But this might work...

"The people of the fanbase of the New England People have stopped the advances of all other teams. The losses accumulated in the form of injuries sustained at the hands of the Filthy whoremongering Steelers of the town of Pittsburgh by the Patriots of New England mean nothing, as the filthy pig-dog swine in the rest of the National Football League will soon discover. The Patriots of New England are Blessed by Allah, and we will see the blood of our enemies flow through the streets. As you can see, everything is fine. The Patriots of New England have, through divine intervention, already won the title for the year, but the filth and the rabble of the rest of the league have simply not accepted this fact yet...I speak only the truth.?
Props for this post Suitanim - pretty funny stuff.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:04 AM   #10
Soldier4Steelers
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 648

hahaha i have called tom brady a terrorist for years! i goda guy that is a raiders fan that ever since the "tuck rule" he called him osama bin brady. again nothing but respect for him, but i hate his guts. that guy is deployed right now so ill give him a shotout. "IT WAS A FUMBLE!"