Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default I'm not buying what Vick is selling

As far as I am concerned Michael Vick is a hypocrite and I'm not buying his I found God line. It's called trying to look good for a future owner i.e Jerry jones, Al Davis or Daniel Snyder

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_525624.html

Michael Vick attends church, hears message of redemption
By The Associated Press
Tuesday, September 4, 2007

CHESAPEAKE, Va. -- Fallen NFL star Michael Vick appears to be making good on his assertion that he's turned his life over to God after pleading guilty to a federal dogfighting charge last week.

On Saturday, the Atlanta Falcons quarterback was at a Christian school, spending time with boys whose fathers are absent from their lives. On Sunday, he and his family attended church in Chesapeake, singing and praying with other members of the congregation.

"He's come a long way already," said the Rev. Steven Terry, minister of Deliverance Tabernacle Church, where Vick has been attending services recently.

Terry said Vick has also been attending two or three church counseling sessions a week and has been accommodating to every suggestion the minister has made.

Vick declined comment on Sunday.

The Hampton Roads native and former Virginia Tech star will be sentenced Dec. 10 for his role in a dogfighting ring where dogs that didn't perform well were killed. The federal sentencing guideline range is projected at a year to 18 months, but the judge can impose up to the five-year maximum. Vick was also suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

"Through this situation I found Jesus and asked him for forgiveness and turned my life over to God," Vick said following his guilty plea last week.

Terry's sermon on Sunday was focused on redemption -- a typical theme in his ministry, he said.

"He has been hurt and extremely embarrassed," Terry said. "I don't believe he knows how he got involved in this."

Terry said he has asked his congregation to treat Vick with love.

"I honestly believe he's looking for forgiveness," Terry said. "You don't always get that from human beings."
Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: I'm not buying what Vick is selling

Let me look at this from a pastoral stand point.

It is true that many people come to Christ during times of crisis.

The real question, is what happens when the crisis passes.

I don't have a problem with him coming to God. The problem I DO have, is the fact that it is publicized.

On that note however, there are many who, as soon as they become Christians, want to tell everyone else. So that falls within normal.

The best thing we can do, is see what Vick is like after jail.

Oh yeah, there is one other thing that will tell us something. Watch how he handles himself during the rest of this. If he is now accepting of all responsibility, humbled, etc... that is another sign that this is a true thing. If it is the same Vick... it is much more doubtful.

However, in the end, only God will know.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:53 AM   #3
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

Following the finding God thing up with his "sincere" apology from the heart supposedly without notes guess that was a lie too. Does anyone really think that Vick could come up with those 'talking points" or should I say "selling points" on his own? Of course not it was his high paid attorney telling him what he needed to say. It's obvious that he was involved in dog fighting he didn't think it was wrong hence him not knowing what it is he should apologize for.

I get what your saying Preacher but the more I see the more I don't buy what he's selling. These guys only find God when their ass are on the line or their jobs are at stake. He's nothing but a phony. Funny thing God spelled backwards is Dog how interesting.

That speech from the heart well it's being sold on ebay and their getting a hefty price of $1500+ the proceeds will benefit the humane society.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=200149223837

Humane Society Has Vick's Talking Points
Michael David SmithPosted Sep 4th 2007 1:39PM by Michael David Smith

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...alking-points/

Michael Vick gave a public apology last week after he pleaded guilty to federal conspiracy charges related to his Bad Newz Kennels dog fighting ring.

Some Vick supporters have said that Vick must have been sincere in his apology because he gave it without notes. But the Humane Society of the United States says that's not true: According to the Humane Society, Vick had handwritten notes in front of him -- and the Humane Society says it's in possession of those notes:

With dozens of reporters jammed into the press room at the Omni Hotel in Richmond, it was The HSUS's own Chad Sisneros, head of our Video Services section, who in looking to retrieve his microphone saw the abandoned scrap of paper and picked it up.

The notes say:

1. Apologize for what I've done
2. Apologize Commissioner, AB, Petrino, ashamed disappointed
3. Young kids I acted immature
4. Forgiveness & understanding
5. Take full responsibility for my actions
6. We all make mistakes I've made mistakes in judgment / Dogs have suffered

That last part -- dogs have suffered -- is in a box at the lower right corner of the paper, and the Humane Society says that's the one Vick never said.

The Humane Society is selling the notes on eBay, and it says the money will go to help in its efforts "to bust the next dogfighting ring."
Old 09-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I will take a wait and see attitude towards him as a person.

As a football player, well, I really don't care to see him on the field again.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:05 AM   #5
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Quote:
I will take a wait and see attitude towards him as a person.

As a football player, well, I really don't care to see him on the field again.
As a Christian, I agree with both these points. We can only tell by his fruit but I am having a hard time buying it though. Although I do hope it is true, I think is is a publicity stunt. But like Preacher said, let us wait and see.

I can not believe the pastor actually said this.
"I don't believe he knows how he got involved in this."

But again like preacher said, only God knows and we will have to wait and see.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I find it interesting how it took him being busted for dog fighting and his pals rolling on him to get him to "find God". He found God just in time for his public apology...just in time for him to start rehabing his image so when he's finally able to play football again in 2010 (if his suspension ever gets lifted that is), he won't look like such a bad guy.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I find it interesting how it took him being busted for dog fighting and his pals rolling on him to get him to "find God". He found God just in time for his public apology...just in time for him to start rehabing his image so when he's finally able to play football again in 2010 (if his suspension ever gets lifted that is), he won't look like such a bad guy.
I totaly agree with you if none of this stuff would have come out during that drug bust at his house and nobody knew about the dogfighting not only would not have "found God" but he would still be fighting dogs! I don't believe his remorse for his actions the only thing he has remorse for is getting caught and losing millions of $.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

Quote:
Let me look at this from a pastoral stand point.

It is true that many people come to Christ during times of crisis.

The real question, is what happens when the crisis passes.

I don't have a problem with him coming to God. The problem I DO have, is the fact that it is publicized.

On that note however, there are many who, as soon as they become Christians, want to tell everyone else. So that falls within normal.

The best thing we can do, is see what Vick is like after jail.

Oh yeah, there is one other thing that will tell us something. Watch how he handles himself during the rest of this. If he is now accepting of all responsibility, humbled, etc... that is another sign that this is a true thing. If it is the same Vick... it is much more doubtful.

Good points, Preacher!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,901 Posts

I can assure you Vick will be on message and humble through sentencing - his attorneys got him off Tom Joyner's show last week becuase they do not want Vick to say anything unscripted that can unravel his goal of getting the lowest possible sentence from Judge Hudson (and may have yanked him from Joyner's show after he apparently could not even stay on script and refer to the suffering dogs part of the note).

In addition to being a sadist, Vick is not very bright - we will not get any media appearances with a chance for any questions (softball or otherwise) until after he is sentenced. After that, he will not be holding any media events while he is in prison.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Want-Troy's-Hair View Post
Funny thing God spelled backwards is Dog how interesting.
Dude, you want to see something MORE interesting?

"Falcons" spelled backwards is "Snoclaf".

Makes your hair stand on end, doesn't it.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote