Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Notebook: 9/12/07

Steelers Notebook: Butler, Hoak head Steelers Legends
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers announced their Legends Team yesterday, a list of 24 players many fans may not even know played for them.

It is why franchise officials decided to pick a collection of their very best who competed in the first half of their 75 seasons as part of their Diamond Anniversary this year.

All players were on the team before 1970, the dawn of the Super Steelers, who likely will dominate the 75th anniversary team that will be named later this year.

"A lot of people didn't know football existed in this town before 1970," said Dick Hoak, one of the two running backs named to the Legends Team.

The team, with an expected 13 members attending, will be honored at Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills in Heinz Field, when the current Steelers wear throwback jerseys similar in style to those worn in the early 1960s.

"So many good players," club chairman Dan Rooney said.

Former defensive back Jack Butler is one of those on the Legends Team who also could make the all-time team. He and Hoak attended a news conference to announce the team yesterday.

Butler called it "a privilege," to be born and raised in Pittsburgh and play for the Steelers starting in 1951.

Townsend injury not serious

Coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday that starting cornerback Deshea Townsend's groin injury that caused him to leave Sunday's game in Cleveland is not serious, but he may miss a practice or two this week.

Tomlin also revealed that backup linebacker Clint Kriewaldt has a minor shoulder injury. He said both should play this week.

"Other than that, we're a healthy football team, which is good news as we move forward to play the Buffalo Bills," Tomlin said.

Run vs. pass

The Steelers threw 16 times and ran 14 as they built a 17-0 lead in Cleveland. That changed in the second half when they ran 28 times and passed only seven in a 34-7 victory.

They ended with 206 yards rushing and 159 net passing.

"I thought it was attrition-oriented," Tomlin said of his ground game. "We were able to get a few chunks. I thought as the game went on, we got better and better. Usually, that's the case.

"That's why we sell that element of the personality that we need to have as a football team."

Willie Parker opened the season with 109 yards rushing. He had runs of 22 and 25 yards on two of them, 62 on his other 25 runs combined. He also lost a fumble. Included in their rushing totals were two wide receiver runs, one of 37 yards by Cedrick Wilson and one of 11 by Santonio Holmes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07255/816712-66.stm
Old 09-12-2007, 03:37 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,277 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Notebook: 9/12/07

Good to hear townsend should be back.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #3
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
Good to hear townsend should be back.
Is it just me or was anyone else surprised to see Townsend playing really well on Sunday. I was one of the people hopeing he would be replaced but he really stepped up.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #4
ZIGGY0246
Water Boy

Member Number: 5983

The legends team is a nice touch beacuse the all time list will most definetly be donimated by the super bowl team and foward
ZIGGY0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #5
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703

I think Townsend has been a solid corner for us for a long time. I am glad to see him still performing out there for us. Soon though, there will be younger faster and more talented guys out there, but at least they can learn from Deshea and ultimately be better due to being more gifted athletes. That is my take anyway.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:08 PM   #6
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
I think Townsend has been a solid corner for us for a long time. I am glad to see him still performing out there for us. Soon though, there will be younger faster and more talented guys out there, but at least they can learn from Deshea and ultimately be better due to being more gifted athletes. That is my take anyway.
Not to rush things because DT has a lot of football left to play, but ultimately I think he would be a great coach for us. He just seems to have that bend.