Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Raiders, Russell Agree on Terms (Finally)

Ben's resigning price just went up significantly. Thanks, Al.

Quote:
Raiders, Russell Agree to Richest Deal For a Rookie
Associated Press

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- JaMarcus Russell and the Oakland Raiders agreed in principle Monday night to a six-year contract that will guarantee the quarterback more than $30 million in the richest contract ever for a rookie.

JaMarcus Russell became the first top pick to remain unsigned by the season opener since Bo Jackson sat out the 1986 season to play baseball.

The two sides met in person Monday for the third time in four days and were hashing out final details of the contract, according to a person familiar with the talks who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal was not finalized.

The final contract needs to be approved by the NFL, but it will be worth at least $60 million with about $31 million guaranteed, the person said. An official announcement could come Tuesday.

The previous record deal for a rookie came when the Detroit Lions gave No. 2 pick Calvin Johnson $27.2 million in guarantees this year. Top pick Mario Williams got $26.5 million in guaranteed money a year ago from Houston.

Russell's agent, Eric Metz, did not return a phone call seeking comment. But coach Lane Kiffin said earlier in the day the two sides were almost done with the contract.

Russell became the first top pick to remain unsigned by the season opener since Bo Jackson sat out the 1986 season to play baseball after being drafted first by Tampa Bay.

The last first-round pick not to be signed by the season opener was offensive lineman Bryant McKinnie, who missed the first eight games in 2002 after being selected with the seventh overall pick by the Minnesota Vikings.

Russell went 25-4 as LSU's starting quarterback, capping his career by throwing for 332 yards and two TDs in a 41-14 Sugar Bowl win over Notre Dame. He finished his career with the Tigers by throwing the second most touchdown passes (52) and having the second highest completion percentage (61.9 percent) in school history.

That success combined with a 6-foot-6, 260-pound frame and a rocket arm made Russell the choice for Oakland with the No. 1 pick in April. The Raiders are building their future around the 21-year-old quarterback, hoping he will help transform an offense that scored just 12 touchdowns last season on the way to a 2-14 record.

Even with Russell set to join the team later this week, he will not be able to contribute much to the Raiders anytime soon. He has missed all of training camp and the exhibition season and will have a difficult time catching up on the lost time.

That means that Josh McCown will remain the quarterback for the foreseeable future. McCown was 30-for-40 for 313 yards and two touchdowns in the 36-21 loss to the Detroit Lions. He also threw two interceptions and lost a fumble in the closing minutes with the Raiders trailing by eight points.

Kiffin kept his decision to start McCown over Daunte Culpepper in the season opener a secret until right before game time, hoping to gain a competitive advantage by making the Lions prepare for two quarterbacks. He will not use the same kind of subterfuge this week, announcing Monday that McCown will start against the Denver Broncos.

"I thought Josh managed the game extremely well," Kiffin said. "A bunch of little things he did really well, as far as we didn't have a wrong formation all day, we didn't have a missed audible all day. He moved us really well at times. ... I thought he played really well."

The other starting spot Kiffin kept secret before the game was at center, where former Pro Bowler Jeremy Newberry beat out incumbent Jake Grove for the starting spot. But Newberry pulled his hamstring on the first drive and did not return to the game.

Newberry, who played in only 11 games the past three seasons because of various injuries, had never hurt his hamstring before. He tried to stay in the game despite the injury, but left after failing to realize McCown was in the shotgun on the final play of the opening drive.

"I should have come out of the game but I was like, 'Ah, maybe this thing will lighten up,"' Newberry said. "I didn't even hear shotgun. I was just trying to get to the line without my leg locking up on me. I should have came out of the game before the fourth play, I should have."
JaMarcus Russell
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Raiders, Russell Agree on Terms (Finally)

I don't think Ben is gonna ask for so much money he handcuffs the Steelers.

However, this shows the problem with rookie contracts. It shouldn't take until after the first game of the season to get your first round draft pick signed.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
TommyG
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 6069

No doubt the Steelers will give him a big contract...If he is anything like Troy, he will realize the situation he is in a sign the best contract that also assures the team stays competive and has money to sign other talent around him.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I don't think Ben is gonna ask for so much money he handcuffs the Steelers.
It's not really Ben I'm worried about, Roeth - it's his agent. I truly hope he doesn't get greedy. Of course, if Ben doesn't have a good year, the point will be pretty much moot. Personally, I have been a pretty rabid defender of Ben in the past, but if he has a bad year again this year, I'm going to reevaluate my position.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I don't think things could be any worse for the Raiders. $31million guaranteed to this guy??? What was the hold up all this time if you were gonna give up that much to sign an unproven player who won't be around long enough see the end of this ridiculous contract.

Somebody needs to have Al committed for the sake of the franchise. It's obvious that he's the main reason for the demise of the Raiders.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #6
steelergirl07
Bench Warmer

Location: Original Hawaii girl, now living in Seahawks country
Member Number: 6622

I'm sorry but no rookie deserves that much. You should get big paychecks after you have proven yourself. Like when you resign. Waste of money if you ask me.

Six time Super Bowl Champions!!!
steelergirl07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:28 PM   #7
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Yeah I don't like signing them to HUGE contracts either... It's really scary when they first come out of college...

Now the Raiders have the arm for the bomb, but not the receiver... What a diffrence from last year...