Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-14-2007, 11:05 AM   #111
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,022 Times in 3,429 Posts
Default Re: NFL To Fine Belichick 500 Grand + Draft Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Part of my job as head coach is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect. ["There is no controlling legal authority that says this was in violation of law." -- Al Gore]
it mightve been more believable if he just said he thought he was taping coaches playing "rock, paper, sissors" on the sideline.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #112
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
And sip the red, white and blue Kool-Aid!
And worship at the Belidick altar.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:08 AM   #113
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

the thing I can't figure out about the punishment is why does it matter if the Pats make the playoffs or not it should be a first round pick no matter what and the 500k is wrong to it should have been atleast a 2 game suspension 4 would have been better though. The comish has brought the hammer when it came to the players and I agree with all those suspensions but what the Pats did was mess with the integrity of the game and that deserved more. And I don't care if all the other guys are doing it that is not a valid reason. Even if all the teams do this and it was just the Pats mistake getting caught that should be reason enogh for Goodell to make an example to everyone that cheating will not be tolerated.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:10 AM   #114
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
And worship at the Belidick altar.
And hold vigil in front of the Tom Brady shrine.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #115
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,120 Times in 3,205 Posts

Based on most of what I read in what has always been the virulently anti-Pats mainstream media, Goodell may have made one of his first missteps as Commissioner by not suspending Belichick.

If this was Tagliabue a loss of a 7th round draft choice would have been draconian, but most comments are focusing on the disparities between the disciplinary actions imposed on players and mere assistant head coaches by Goodell as compared to that imposed on the most successful coach of his era.

If the players ever get a union maybe the head of that organization would lead the questioning about this - until then I guess we will settle for hearing Gene Upshaw read whatever talking points the league office gives to him..
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:29 AM   #116
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Based on most of what I read in what has always been the virulently anti-Pats mainstream media, Goodell may have made one of his first missteps as Commissioner by not suspending Belichick.

]If this was Tagliabue a loss of a 7th round draft choice would have been draconian, but most comments are focusing on the disparities between the disciplinary actions imposed on players and mere assistant head coaches by Goodell as compared to that imposed on the most successful coach of his era.

If the players ever get a union maybe the head of that organization would lead the questioning about this - until then I guess we will settle for hearing Gene Upshaw read whatever talking points the league office gives to him..
Tagliabue would have taken the camera and Belechik would not have got it back until the end of the season.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #117
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
*awaits the "its racist" tirade*
I hate to admit it but that crossed my mind when I first found out about the punishment this morning.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:53 AM   #118
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines0wnz View Post
I hate to admit it but that crossed my mind when I first found out about the punishment this morning.
I think it has more to do with the "model franchise" of the league getting busted at an organizational level (as opposed to an individual player level), the commish being a lapdog who takes his marching orders from the owners, and the owner of said "model franchise" being one of the more powerful of that group. But, hey, I'm just a "jealous excuse maker," so what do I know?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #119
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

This from known Pats hater Bill Simmons, who I guess would now be described by as one poster here as "a moron" and just one in "a bunch of talking heads (or writing heads) pontificating on something they know little more about than the average fan."

Definitely check out Paul Zimmerman's Thursday column about the cheating Patriots, maybe the most damning piece about them yet. Even the most ardent Pats fan would have a tough time defending them after this one, although you have to admit it's funny when Dr. Z calls someone else "smug" and "arrogant."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index

Not everyone Bill - one poster here had this reaction to Zimmerman's column

Hmmm all those losers out there latching on to a convenient excuse for their own failings.

Really, the Lions?

Mike Martz really that the offense rolling did he?

Someone stated earlier that they would love to hear what Dungy had to say on this, I doubt we'll ever know - because unlike this group of underachieving dicks, he doesn't have to big himself up in the media (sorta the anti-Hines Ward, if you will).

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...=19538&page=34

LITP - with Simmons gone, is it just Belichick and you left in the bunker?

If Simmons can give up after giving this initial take on the debacle, there is no shame in you surrendering as well:

Let's see if the story is true before we start calling the Pats "cheaters." I sincerely doubt that Belichick -- one of the most prepared and logical coaches in the league -- would risk losing a draft choice so he could blatantly bastardize the sport by ordering a cameraman to tape the signals of an inferior Jets team. Not only does that seem too improbable, wouldn't it be extraordinarily easy to get caught if you were standing on one sideline with your camera suspiciously pointed right at the opposing coaches? You don't think you'd stand out? Besides, as Mike Nifong taught us, an accusation doesn't mean anything unless it's true.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...=simmons/links

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 09-14-2007 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:16 PM   #120
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I think it has more to do with the "model franchise" of the league getting busted at an organizational level (as opposed to an individual player level), the commish being a lapdog who takes his marching orders from the owners, and the owner of said "model franchise" being one of the more powerful of that group. But, hey, I'm just a "jealous excuse maker," so what do I know?
Michael Wilbon says it best:

Goodell didn't apply the muscle to management he did to labor. He was awfully aggressive (and perhaps justifiably so) with the likes of Chris Henry and Tank Johnson and Adam "Pacman" Jones, but pulled his punch when it came time to fight with one of the fair-haired guys in management.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...302606_pf.html