Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #71
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: NFL To Fine Belichick 500 Grand + Draft Picks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
First up, i'd just like to re-iterate that I think what the Patriots did was wrong and deserved some degree of punishment.

But I thought i'd just highlight some of the more crass homerism from the 'unbiased' media, who whether you admit or not, definitely impact people's opinions on certain subjects.

Lets have a look at John Clayton.

Patriots step out of line.

Dolphins admit to signal spying.

Of course teams are always trying to do it, but that is in the realm of human capabilities. When you add a camera or advanced technology to the mix it is just taking it way to far. That is unique to the Patriots. There is no way that more than a couple other teams have gone close to that. They aren't that dumb. It was so obvious what was going on a the Jets sideline it was just sincerely funny.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #72
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,037 Times in 3,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
First up, i'd just like to re-iterate that I think what the Patriots did was wrong and deserved some degree of punishment.

But I thought i'd just highlight some of the more crass homerism from the 'unbiased' media, who whether you admit or not, definitely impact people's opinions on certain subjects.

Lets have a look at John Clayton.

Patriots step out of line.

Dolphins admit to signal spying.
what is crass and unbiassed "homerism" by what clayton wrote? when this story 1st broke he was one who was minimizing it. it wasnt until he realized the extent of the cheating that he saw belichick needed a significant penalty.

the miami story is old news. there is nothing wrong or illegal by tuning into CBS and recording a game on tape. it is broadcast to hundereds of millions of people have the access to the same tape.

way back in the day only certain wealthy teams had access to the coaching tapes referred to in the article you posted and all teams currently used. the nfl made a ruling that ALL teams would have access to the same tapes as it was a clear competitive advantage to those who didnt have it.

do you really think the nfl should permit all teams to video all other teams signals to try and win?

why dont the nfl just mandate that each team exchange playbooks a week before kick off. that would be great and make for excellent competition.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:03 PM   #73
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,335 Times in 2,901 Posts

Mortenson senses "disappointment" around the league that there was no suspension.

Belichick apologizes to Patriots players, fans and Kraft - no apology to anyone else

Belichick claims he just misinterpreted the rule - what a tool

Here is John Clayton's take

Initial reaction around the league was negative. At the very least, Belichick should have been suspended one or two games along with the draft choice penalties. Those two games could be the difference between the Patriots making the playoffs or not making the playoffs. They have a tough schedule, and it will be hard for them to win more than 11 games with the quality of opponent they'll face.

Belichick now has the ability to coach 16 games, get into the playoffs and take the team to the Super Bowl. As everyone knows, Belichick doesn't think about the future. He focuses on the next game. Sure, he lost the ability to use signals of other teams to help him make offensive adjustments. He'll deal with that. He's the best coach in football.

But the Patriots lost a pick that isn't even as good as the one they received from the 49ers unless the 49ers make the Super Bowl.

This was a harsh penalty, but in many ways, the Patriots got off easy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=3018407
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #74
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

I respect two NFL analysts/writers a ton. They are Clayton and Adam Schefter. How can you say Johnny is biased??? He broke a story along time ago about the Steelers cheating that lost them draft picks. Ever since he was 18 covering the league from turtle creek everything Jon Clayton has written has been completely unbiased. Insulting Clayton offends me almost as much as insulting the Steelers. HE IS A HOFer!
Old 09-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #75
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

should have been suspended for 4 games too

I hope L.T. and the Chargers stomp the you know what out of them....and more importantly we do too when we play them later this year

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #76
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

I just hope the Chargers are taking their own wireless headsets into Foxboro - would hate to see another "inexplicable malfunction" at a critical juncture of the game when their offense is driving....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #77
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,037 Times in 3,056 Posts

know what will be best if the patriots actually make it to the superbowl?

hearing them celebrated for 2 whole weeks for overcoming the adversity of this, much like ray lewis has "overcome the adversity" of murdering (or witnessing the murder of ) 2 people, who is still celebrated this day.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #78
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,335 Times in 2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
know what will be best if the patriots actually make it to the superbowl?

hearing them celebrated for 2 whole weeks for overcoming the adversity of this, much like ray lewis has "overcome the adversity" of murdering (or witnessing the murder of ) 2 people, who is still celebrated this day.
Maybe we will hear how Belichick constantly is on the phone every night as other NFL coaches call him for advice and inspiration.

I agree the public has a short attention span but IMO within the league the players and coaches appear to think additional punishment is appropriate - let's see if we have any vigilantes
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #79
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

Goodell also said they'll be taking a closer look at the PATS past though it wasn't announced as a full scale investigation and of course will be watching them very closely from now on

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #80
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
Goodell also said they'll be taking a closer look at the PATS past though it wasn't announced as a full scale investigation and of course will be watching them very closely from now on
Meh - if Goodell takes any follow-up action at this point, it will be seen as a witch hunt. He had the opportunity to send a message and he chose to go with a slap on the wrist. O.J. is still looking for the "real killers" too, I'll bet.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote