Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-13-2007, 10:40 PM   #81
pitt
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 474
Default Re: NFL To Fine Belichick 500 Grand + Draft Picks

Since they cheated during the game, they should have to forfiet the win.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 PM   #82
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Maybe we will hear how Belichick constantly is on the phone every night as other NFL coaches call him for advice and inspiration.

I agree the public has a short attention span but IMO within the league the players and coaches appear to think additional punishment is appropriate - let's see if we have any vigilantes
lol. yep.

the patriots will either be celebrated or apologized for, having to plow through an nfl season with having something like this unfairly hung on their shoulders by about 10% of the fans. they will be "sold" the patriots.

most of the other fans will simply consider them a fraud.

the players and coaches are a different story though. but most of them knew the patriots were cheating all along (just never had the proof, only the odds).

ultimately though belichick will probably just use this as motivation. i can see his locker room speech right now (tongue in cheekly, of course)

[QUOTE]["ok, i went out there and cheated for you ****ers for 7 years. now its time to act like a man and prove to the world you can win a game on your own."/QUOTE]

this is where a suspension wouldve hurt them the most. however, just for belichick to come out and admitt all the games he cheated in would be good too.

it will be interresting to see how much hall of fame voters feel about this paper dynasty 5-10 years from now.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #83
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt View Post
Since they cheated during the game, they should have to forfiet the win.
I dont agree with this statement

Yes they cheated during the game. But what is done is done. Once the game is over you cant undo a score and just force a forfeit.

Taking away a win would just be way to controversial

I think roger should have come down harder though. The fine is nothing to The fat cheater coach

they shoud have
-1rst rpund pick draft
-3rd round pick
- suspened without pay for 4 games
- Salary cap hit for pats

come on guys this is the integrity of the game this is a huge deal. I think the comish came down not as hard because he like robert kraft.

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #84
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

It explains alot of their success now...

How bout his...??? the pats should be banned from ALL video tape for the remainder of the year...no video tape on next week's team....and their cheaters , I mean coaches have to remain on the sidline instead of being up in the box... and for the record I think their video guy should go to a Pittsburgh prison ....

I also think the Pats should only be allowed to draft in 08 from the Raiders prqactice squad.....

Bottom Line.... I hate Cheaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 01:33 AM   #85
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

Quote:
Originally Posted by verks36 View Post
I dont agree with this statement

Yes they cheated during the game. But what is done is done. Once the game is over you cant undo a score and just force a forfeit.

Taking away a win would just be way to controversial

I think roger should have come down harder though. The fine is nothing to The fat cheater coach

they shoud have
-1rst rpund pick draft
-3rd round pick
- suspened without pay for 4 games
- Salary cap hit for pats

come on guys this is the integrity of the game this is a huge deal. I think the comish came down not as hard because he like robert kraft.
I definately agree with you Verks, this is on the same scale as the NBA ref scandal, if not much higher just because of the huge fan base and money involved in the NFL. Belicheat was hardly made an example of with that punishment, though it may serve as a warning. If he'd been suspended and/or took a cap hit, consider the act of cheating via videotape non-existent hereafter. But nooo, the image of the Pats must be kept intact.

As somebody mentioned, they really are the posters boys of the NFL. Steelers? We're the blue-collar tough boys of the NFL. Big difference.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:47 AM   #86
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
I respect two NFL analysts/writers a ton. They are Clayton and Adam Schefter. How can you say Johnny is biased??? He broke a story along time ago about the Steelers cheating that lost them draft picks. Ever since he was 18 covering the league from turtle creek everything Jon Clayton has written has been completely unbiased. Insulting Clayton offends me almost as much as insulting the Steelers. HE IS A HOFer!
John Clayton is a total moron.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:54 AM   #87
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
what is crass and unbiassed "homerism" by what clayton wrote? when this story 1st broke he was one who was minimizing it. it wasnt until he realized the extent of the cheating that he saw belichick needed a significant penalty.

the miami story is old news. there is nothing wrong or illegal by tuning into CBS and recording a game on tape. it is broadcast to hundereds of millions of people have the access to the same tape.

way back in the day only certain wealthy teams had access to the coaching tapes referred to in the article you posted and all teams currently used. the nfl made a ruling that ALL teams would have access to the same tapes as it was a clear competitive advantage to those who didnt have it.

do you really think the nfl should permit all teams to video all other teams signals to try and win?

why dont the nfl just mandate that each team exchange playbooks a week before kick off. that would be great and make for excellent competition.
Well, I don't believe there to be such a huge distinction in employing lip-readers and guys with binoculars and having a guy with a video recorder.

It all seems a little ridiculous that the Patriots have been heavily punished for essentially using slightly higher spec technology.

When I see the self righteousness by other teams fans, I think its because they believe that the Patriots have been caught trying to get other teams signals - while also believing that no other team does the exact same thing.

This is totally wrong.

What the Patriots did was use an illegal method to try and obtain the same information others team do.

I guarantee you, alot of the guys spouting off with opinions don't realise that the Steelers devote as much time as anyone else to trying to steal their opponents signals and protect their own.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #88
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Well, I don't believe there to be such a huge distinction in employing lip-readers and guys with binoculars and having a guy with a video recorder.

It all seems a little ridiculous that the Patriots have been heavily punished for essentially using slightly higher spec technology.

When I see the self righteousness by other teams fans, I think its because they believe that the Patriots have been caught trying to get other teams signals - while also believing that no other team does the exact same thing.

This is totally wrong.

What the Patriots did was use an illegal method to try and obtain the same information others team do.

I guarantee you, alot of the guys spouting off with opinions don't realise that the Steelers devote as much time as anyone else to trying to steal their opponents signals and protect their own.
Oh I know this.

Here is my take:

With binoculars, many times it's still a hazy image and you can only "zoom in" so far. And if the coordinator is in the booth, just about forget seeing him.

However with a video camera, they can really zoom in. There is no guessing whatsoever on the signals or the lip reading. It's very clear and crisp. Also, they videotape can be reviewed at halftime to make better adjustments to the defense than someone using binaculars and a notepad.

And what makes this worse, is that Goodell warned ALL TEAMS (not all teams but the Patriots), that it is against the rules to videotape defensive and offensive signals. I doubt there was much "gray area" for Bellicheat to get confused. He's a very smart guy, look at what he has done as a coordinator and HC, I doubt he's easily confused as he's trying to get the media to think.

He was blatently thumbing his nose at the rules and the new commish. I think this should be the punishment:

Bellicheat is suspended for the Jets game in Foxborough, and if they meet in the playoffs, Bellicheat is suspended for that game as well.

No draft picks at all on the first day. Jets get draft picks as long as it doesn't add up to more than the 10 maximum allowed per draft.

If caught again, Bellicheat gets suspended without pay for the rest of season, the team is not allowed any on-field credentials beyond coaching and training staff, their game tape to be reviewed is given to them by the league, and the Patriot's orginization gets the fine of $5 million.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:21 AM   #89
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
John Clayton is a total moron.
Do you even get ESPN over there? Apparently not
Old 09-14-2007, 07:29 AM   #90
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
Do you even get ESPN over there? Apparently not
I read his column on the ESPN website (when I want to feel like I know more than guys getting paid to write about football)