Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-01-2005, 02:24 AM   #1
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default The Greatest Game Ever Played

Wow!!! You should see this movie... It is one of, if not the best sports movies I have ever seen.

I am a little bias because the movies main character (Francis Ouimet... pronuced like Wemet) is one of my distant relatives. He is my sixth cousin to be exact... that means my great.. great.. great Grandfather was his fathers brother... or something. Francis Ouimet is like a family myth, or legend. He is the only amateur golfer to EVER win the U.S. Open. The year was 1913, and it was only the 18th Open. My dads dad told him and he told me... the story of our most famous relative...

He was only 20 years old when he won the tournament, and he beat the best European golfer ever (Harry Vardon) in an 18 hole playoff. This was only the second United States victory in the 18 U.S. Opens, and a pivotal point in American golf. It really is one of the best sports stories ever!!!

Francis was a caddie for ten years at Boorkline County Club... just outside of Boston. He lived across the street, and was considered a peasent by the club members... although he was an exceptional golfer. That year he nearly won the club's amateur champinoship, and went on to win the quallifier, and compete in the U.S. Open held at Brookline. His home course... One of the best parts of the story is his caddie Eddie... he was in just the 5th grade. He was picked up by Francis in the last second, just 10 minnutes until his tee-time. Eddie went on to play a huge part in Ouimet's success, and they remained friends for life.

It's just great story... If you watch the movie you will see my family's most famous moment, and by far our biggest impact on history.

link....... http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/greatestgame/
Old 10-01-2005, 02:31 AM   #2
Va_steeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 652
Default Re: The Greatest Game Ever Played

I heard it's a good movie. Can't wait to see it. not to knock your movie but this 1 is great too!
Quote:
The Legend of Bagger Vance
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0146984/
Old 10-01-2005, 07:28 AM   #3
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

Another good golf flick is Bobby Jones-Stroke of Genius.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #4
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

If you are talking golf movies(serious not Caddyshack which is a classic too) I reccomend "Follow the Sun" The Ben Hogan story shot 50 years ago or something is still a good one.