Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Lewis 'smug and condescending'

Bengals head coach on defensive amid, criticism from radio, Internet media.

CINCINNATI ? Monday was not a good day for Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis.

The CNNSI Web site listed him among NFL coaches "on the hot seat" and Cincinnati sports-talk show host Lance McAlister criticized him for being "smug and condescending" toward the media.

Some highlights from Lewis' news conference:

? On when fans will see the fruits of what the players call "easily fixable" mistakes by the defense:

"You just wrote all about it last week ? '85 Bears a week ago. As I tell (the players) all the time, No. 1, 'Don't try to explain it to (the media) because (they) don't understand it.' Secondly, 'We're not as good as you think you are or as bad.' We'll make our corrections and move forward."

? On the players saying some negative publicity will be good for them:

"I'm not worried about what kind of publicity we get. If you look at the difference between the headlines of our area and the headlines (in Cleveland), you would think they had shut us out. That's the difference a few points make. We take our medicine and move forward."

? On the biggest reason players make mental errors.

"Again, trying to invent and create a revision on their own because you're trying to overcome somebody else's deficiency or what he didn't do right. Just do your job. Don't try to do too much."

? On why he didn't challenge the referee's spot on Braylon Edwards' phantom first down with 3:11 to go:

"He ruled forward progress, and thus the ball's spot, and that's where he put it. So at that point, it's kind of a dead issue."

? On the special teams giving up 451 yards in returns in two weeks because defenders are not staying in their lanes and getting sealed off:

"Your very elementary assessment of it is a little off-base. But we've got to do better."

? On why left tackle Levi Jones isn't in the starting lineup:

"His status is what it is. He's competing for a position and working hard to get himself back and earn his job back. That's what he's doing. He's working hard."

? On national sportscasters, including ex-Steelers coach Bill Cowher, saying Chad Johnson's antics are something Lewis condones.

"You know better than that, so why ask me that question? I think Bill knows better than that, too. It's unfortunate he said that. He would know better than that because he knows me as well. He's coached Chad in the Pro Bowl, and all he had to say were glowing things about Chad. Now (Cowher) he's in a position where he can create controversy."

? On if he takes the defense's problems personally and if there's a chance he'll be calling defensive signals like he did in 2004?

"I'm not going to respond to that. I do take it personally. I'll respond to that part."
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,769 Times in 3,681 Posts
Default Re: Lewis 'smug and condescending'

Quote:
"You know better than that, so why ask me that question? I think Bill knows better than that, too. It's unfortunate he said that. He would know better than that because he knows me as well. He's coached Chad in the Pro Bowl, and all he had to say were glowing things about Chad. Now (Cowher) he's in a position where he can create controversy."
and here i thought it was chad creating the controversy by acting like an ass and making his individual accomplishments and accolades more important than team goals.

thank for clearing that up reverand attorney marv. its cowhers fault.

i think all the "black heyzeuz" talk is starting to die down a bit in ohio, and a small portion of the fans with more than 3 brain cells are realizing he has got to be one of the most horrible coaches in the league.

thats ok though bunglefans. you can still watch tomlin with envy from afar.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #3
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

The Bungles are a joke. I don't even pay attention to them at all anymore. They have a bad coach, a horrible defense and an offense that cares more about stats than winning.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:37 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,040 Times in 388 Posts

And Nero fiddled while Rome burned....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
And Nero fiddled while Rome burned....
,,,and Lewis fiddled as his secondary got burned....
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,925 Times in 3,500 Posts

IMO Cowher and Lewis burned their bridges to each other during the 2005 season after the Bengals acted up after the December win at Heinz, Cowher returned the favor with the "who dey" chant in the locker room after the playoff win, and Lewis accused Ben of whining about cheap shots in response to Palmer's injury.

Lewis knows he is in trouble - wonder if he already has been asked about Esiason saying the Bengals will be the disappoinment of 2007?
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

I actually listened to this press conference live and Marvin Lewis was nothing short of an *******. He insulted the media's intelligence on several occasions and made a lot of irrelevant jokes which he laughed at quite smugly. The radio shows have been bashing Marvin pretty hardcore lately.

As far as the Bengals as a team go, the best reasoning I've heard so far is that they have a 12-4 offense and a 4-12 defense, thus they balance out at about an 8-8 team. Many people have started saying that the Bengals resurgence hasn't been because of Marvin as many people believed before but because of Carson Palmer...without him they would still be a 4,5,6 win team with Marvin as coach.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,165 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
and here i thought it was chad creating the controversy by acting like an ass and making his individual accomplishments and accolades more important than team goals.

thank for clearing that up reverand attorney marv. its cowhers fault.

i think all the "black heyzeuz" talk is starting to die down a bit in ohio, and a small portion of the fans with more than 3 brain cells are realizing he has got to be one of the most horrible coaches in the league.

thats ok though bunglefans. you can still watch tomlin with envy from afar.
I love it that the root of their problems always is linked somehow someway to being the steelers fault.

Or crooked cops.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:33 PM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
I actually listened to this press conference live and Marvin Lewis was nothing short of an *******. He insulted the media's intelligence on several occasions and made a lot of irrelevant jokes which he laughed at quite smugly. The radio shows have been bashing Marvin pretty hardcore lately.

As far as the Bengals as a team go, the best reasoning I've heard so far is that they have a 12-4 offense and a 4-12 defense, thus they balance out at about an 8-8 team. Many people have started saying that the Bengals resurgence hasn't been because of Marvin as many people believed before but because of Carson Palmer...without him they would still be a 4,5,6 win team with Marvin as coach.
That is a pretty good assessment there, CS. Palmer is the reason why the Bungles are somewhere around mediocre, but he cannot do it all by himself. It's like I said in the Bungles/Brownies thread - it doesn't matter how many points you can score, if you can't stop the other team, you aren't going to win consistently. It's as simple as that.

I'd say if the Bungles lose their next 2 games, Uncle Marv will really be feeling the heat.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post

Good post. I still don't understand why this organization operates the way it does... Without Palmer, this team is way less than mediocre.

Let's look at the draft

1. Leon Hall good pick, he should be able to help the team?s god awful defense.

2. Kenny Irons?

I am not even going to go past this pick. If all the reports that Rudi Johnson is still a great back are true then why did the team go here? What in the world is going on with Chris Perry? Wasn't he a first round pick?

The situation with this team is laughable... They had one good year where the offense completely carried the team and the D to some extent over achieved and what since that point? Nothing. They got over confident, Marvin Lewis still thinks they are a playoff team and Chad is proclaiming himself to be a HOFer before he even gets his first playoff win.

The to do list for the Bengals should be as follows.

1. Consider your options at the head coaching position.

2. FIX THE DEFENSE. Trade some guys away, god knows you don't need help on offense. This also presents an opportunity to clean up the image a bit - Trade Chris Henry... He could start for a few teams.

3. Give Palmer even more input about everything - The offense, the players he likes / doesn't and just the team in general. Right now I think Palmer could coach this team better than Lewis.

I would put Houshmanzada on the block (May tick Chad off but who cares, all this guy does is whine) I would put Henry as well as Perry (If he is still even on the team) on the block.

Get some LBers for god's sake. Odell is unreliable, Hartwell is injury prone and I haven't seen him yet this season despite the fact that you paid him all kinds of money. The Bungles could have signed a run stopper in Trotter but missed their chance on that too...

I just don't get anything that happens in Cincinnati anymore. So much for the young, good Steelers - Bengals rivalry...