Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #91
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,088 Times in 2,618 Posts
Default Re: 49ers vs. Steelers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OStigers2000 View Post
Well since your fans want to come on our board so I took it upon myself to come on here and talk football between our two squads on you alls. To start off, I love your team and what your franchise is all about and have been following it over 10 years since I live here in va.

In all I am looking forward to a great game between us, I wish you all wouldn't take us lightly but we are use to it and we will surprise you and I know through this entire writing 90% of you are going to say I am full of ish but it's the truth. I know most of you all are predicting blow out but they will not happen for neither side. I predict a very close game and I know your team plays better on the road than they do in their own stadium so no offense I am hoping that goes again this Sunday for our favor. I hope no one gets injured in the game and everyone makes it off the field of play safe for both sides and we have a good sportsmanship quality football game. I wish your team luck and yes of course I am hoping my team wins and I know every one of you are going to say BS about this but I am predicting upset 49ers 17 steelers 14.
great breakdown of your team.

1st of all, i think you know most steelerfans think the steelers could, should, and will win over SF.

but its not from taking your team lightly by alot of fans. alot of steelerfans are seeing a more veteran and mature team than the one that won the superbowl 2 years ago.

sure we lost chris hope. but we gained clark and smith in the process.

randle el left but holmes and washington have more than proved to be an adequate replacement.

unfortunately jerome is gone, but in his absence willie parker is breaking and emerging on steelers rushing records. najeh is better than duce.

kimo is gone but keisell is better.

porter is gone but harrison starting seems to be an upgrade to this point. add in timmons and woodley and porters loss is more than addressed. (and to think we looked at t. bunta cain)

i gotta mention our offense. in our SB year 2 years ago ben was a 2nd year player, willie a 1st year starter, holmes was playing his final year of college, and miller was just a rookie. n. washington had just been activated off the practice squad. just like alex smith, gore, and davis are expected to develop, and grow with experience, so are our guys.

to top it all off i think we have upgraded the coaching staff. arians is just taking over the offense just like whiz was when the steelers went 15-1. i dont expect him to struggle. you cant say enough about lebeau who is the best defensive coordinator out there. the steelers have really lost nothing going from tomlin to cowher, infact there are areas where they have gained.

with all this being said, i think the steelers need to focus on vernon davis a tad bit more than f. gore. we will not be manning up on vernon, and ike has shown he can handle jackson in the sb (even when playing 12 yds off him).

nolan will know from his baltimore days that the way to attack the zone blitz is with a top TE. this probably why there hasnt been many catches by vernon to this point (4 rec) on film. i think the 49ers will call his number early and often until he is stopped. he will probably be double teamed, and a safety better always be around the scene to hit him (im not sure if they will beat him up).

i still dont see the 49ers scoring more than 14 points, and the steelers can manage 17+. i think the steelers are appraoching every game as a "must win" game after last years melt down. im not sure SF can bring that same sense of urgency.

FWIW lawson and willis could be an emerging top LB duo in the league, i dont know if theres a pair of 1st or 2nd year young talent i would rather have (other than woodley and timmons maybe). gore is a 3rd round steal version of FA willie parker. i wouldnt be all too shocked for him to have 80-110 strong yards in a loss. and you can thank the steelers for your punter lee. we established his market value for the niners and got you a long term bargain. if the rooneys were shady like other teams not beyond cheating, they couldve included a poison pill in his contract.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:36 PM   #92
OStigers2000
Water Boy

Member Number: 7110
Default Re: 49ers vs. Steelers

nice break down in your post and your point of views which to me are much better than the ones trolling our board. I value everything you said and give you the up most respect. In all I feel it's going to be a tough battle unless we roll over and say "next game coach" but I think it'll be tough especially through S/T. So good luck this Sunday and I hope and pray no one on either side of teams will get injured. I would rather get smeared than to have anyone hurt, after that Kevin Everett bit I just have a whole new attitude towards hitting people and getting them injured. I just want everyone to be able to walk safely off the field with good sportsmanship.
OStigers2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #93
OStigers2000
Water Boy

Default Re: Week 3

Ok I got some news for our side, it is a big possibly our OLB M. Lawson could miss a big amount of time this year and it's more of a fact he will not be in this game for us which is not good at all. so eh not good
Old 09-20-2007, 01:43 AM   #94
DaHonorable49er
Water Boy

Member Number: 7050

Quote:
Originally Posted by OStigers2000 View Post
Ok I got some news for our side, it is a big possibly our OLB M. Lawson could miss a big amount of time this year and it's more of a fact he will not be in this game for us which is not good at all. so eh not good
Manny is listed as Probable at the moment according to Yahoo, but wait on the official word from the team to get the final verdict.

I would like to say that I am looking for a competitive game. It depends on what kind of game either team brings that will produce the outcome. If the offense wakes up, the game could be one to watch. If we minimize our penalties and turnovers and create Steeler turnovers, we should be in good shape. The offense needs to find away to get the play makers the ball. Alex needs to be faster in his check downs and not spend to much time locking on to one or two guys in order to eliminate the amount of punishment and sacks from Lebou's(sp?) complicated Blitzes.

The Steelers provide one of the best Blitz packages, but we also come with a nice package. If Manny is healthy, look for #99 to be everywhere on the field from coverages to pass rushing. You'll get a good dose of Patrick Willis also. You guys will have an opportunity to get some passes completed because I suspect that Michael Lewis will play in the box a lot to help contain Parker. The one weakness you can exploit is getting whoever your coaches choose on a miss match with Derek Smith. He is one of the weakest links on the team. If he plays well, I'd be very surprised. I personally think his time is up, but somehow he still manages to be in the starting lineup.

Here's to a good game, injury free for both teams, and hopefully a Niner victory on the road in the Steel City!
DaHonorable49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #95
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202
Default San Francisco in for a real treat!

By: Mike Bires
09/20/2007
Email to a friendPrinter-friendly
PITTSBURGH - Frank Gore is a marked man. So is Alex Smith.

Advertisement

Gore, the focal point of the San Francisco 49ers' offense, may be one of the NFL's most complete running backs. But the Steelers' can't wait to face him.

Likewise for Smith, the Niners' promising young quarterback.

"(Smith) is probably watching film of us right now and wondering what the heck are they doing," Steelers linebacker Larry Foote said. "Hopefully, he'll be thinking of us all week because he knows Coach LeBeau is going to show him something different."

On Sunday at Heinz Field when the 49ers (2-0) play the Steelers (2-0), Gore and Smith will try to move the ball and score against a Steelers' defense which has been downright stingy so far.

It's early, and the Steelers have played two of the weaker teams on their schedule. But with wily defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau devising the schemes, the defense has dominated two opponents in wins of 34-7 over the Cleveland Browns and 26-3 over the Buffalo Bills.

Ranked sixth in the league in total yards allowed per game, the Steelers rank first in fewest first downs allowed (23) and fewest points allowed (10). They're tied for first with 10 sacks. They rank second in fewest yards per play (4.0).

"The guys are playing hard. They're playing fast. They're playing together," coach Mike Tomlin said. "I know that sounds very simple. But that's just the nature of defensive football. We're dictating what happens on the field. We're not allowing offenses to dictate it to us. When you do those things, you have a chance to be very good."

When it comes to stopping the run, few teams have done it better than the Steelers over the years.

By holding Buffalo's Marshawn Lynch to 64 yards, the Steelers extended their streak of denying opposing backs to rush for 100 yards or more to 27 straight games.

"I didn't know it was 27 games, but I do know that Edgerrin James was the last back to get 100 on us," nose tackle Casey Hampton said. "But that was in the regular-season. We shut him down in the playoffs, so ..."

Yes, it was James, who's now playing for the Arizona Cardinals, who last rushed for 100 yards against the Steelers. That happened on a Monday night game on Nov. 28, 2005 when James rushed for 124 in the Indianapolis Colts' 26-7 win over the Steelers in the RCA Dome.

But seven weeks later in the AFC Divisional Playoff round, the Steelers held James to 56 in a 21-18 win.

"We always want to hold (opposing backs) to under 100 yards," Hampton said. "We talk about it all the time. That's what we do. We like to think our run defense is one of the best in the league and we pride ourselves on that."

Next up for Hampton and his pals on defense is Gore, the former Miami Hurricanes star who set 49er single-season records last year with 1,695 yards and 312 carries. Gore, a third-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft, also led the Niners with 61 receptions for 485 yards.

In San Francisco's two wins this year, Gore has yet to really get untracked. In a 20-17 decision over Arizona, he rushed for only 55 yards. He rushed for 81 yards in a 17-16 victory over the St. Louis Rams. But he still hasn't surpassed 100 - something he did nine games last year.

"The 49ers are built (offensively) around the exploits of Frank Gore," Tomlin said. "He's got a complete football game."

Besides concentrating on Gore, the Steelers also plan to harass Smith, the No. 1 overall pick of the '05 draft.

After a dreadful rookie season in which he threw only one touchdown pass and 11 interceptions, Smith improved last year with a 16-16 TD pass-interception ratio. He's yet to throw for a TD or interception this year. But by avoiding critical errors, he's doing his part to help San Francisco improve on last year's 7-9 record.

"He's going to see things we haven't shown yet," Foote said of Smith. "Coach LeBeau hasn't shown all our new packages yet. I know everyone's waiting on it. I'm waiting on it. You just never know what Coach LeBeau is going to run."

Whatever schemes LeBeau has called so far, the Steelers' defense has executed them with near perfection.

And that certainly doesn't bode well for Gore and Smith.

?Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2007

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news...d=478568&rfi=6

So, Lebeau and the Steelers haven't shown everything yet, scary thought. I see the streak going to 28 games and Smith throwing his first INT. Any thoughts?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #96
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

This should be an interesting game for our offense. I think the 49ers have a very good defense. Ben needs to be careful with the ball, don't just chuck it Ben.

Our defense should have pretty much the same results as weeks 1 & 2. Young QBs have not faired well against our D. They need to keep VD under wraps though, that could be a test. I don't believe Gore gets 100 yds.

It's nice to hear from the 49er fans, great posts!! Here's to a good game.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #97
OStigers2000
Water Boy

Old 09-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #98
DaHonorable49er
Water Boy

Member Number: 7050

Well, you guys can breathe a little easier about Lawson....
DaHonorable49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:28 PM   #99
jd2
Water Boy

Member Number: 2211

Here's to a good game for both teams.
But I am looking for a steeler win.
Steelers 21
SF 7
jd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #100
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHonorable49er View Post
Manny is listed as Probable at the moment according to Yahoo, but wait on the official word from the team to get the final verdict.
Here's the verdict (and sorry to hear it - would never wish such a thing on any opposing player):

Lawson Tears ACL, Out for Season

SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) - Linebacker Manny Lawson will miss the rest of the San Francisco 49ers' season after tearing a ligament in his left knee.

Lawson, a starting outside linebacker in the 49ers' 3-4 defensive scheme, went down with the injury during Wednesday's practice. The injury didn't initially appear to be serious, and Lawson rode on a stationary bike for the rest of the team's workout.
But tests determined Thursday that Lawson tore his anterior cruciate ligament.

Lawson is second on the team with 14 tackles, showing impressive improvement from his rookie year. He started 11 games last season after San Francisco chose him with the 22nd overall selection, making 65 tackles and 2 1/2 sacks.

Veteran Hannibal Navies and seldom-used second-year pro Parys Haralson are the top candidates to replace Lawson.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7247056
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote