Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #31
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,273 Times in 1,398 Posts
Default Re: Week 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfedorowicz View Post
I'm curious of the match up between 49ers TE Vernon Davis to our LB's? Since he's really the only Target for Alex Smith.
davis has 4 catches for 27 yds in two games.....i've seen a lot of davis in college, and i must say the niners are foolish for not getting him more involved in the offense. the guy should be putting up gates numbers every week !!!

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #32
leothedog
Water Boy

Member Number: 7042

I totally agree with you, MrPuppet. VD is an absolute beast. The Niners have got to get him the ball. Heck, they're paying him a boatload of money, make him EARN IT!!
Nolan knows he's being questioned by the fans, but he come from a conservative, defensive background.

And besides VD, we've got some other very capable recievers. DJax is good, but he drops balls. Battle is our #2, but has consistantly shown he can go over the middle and grab the tough catches. He's also a Helluva blocker. Jacobs is our #3, but nobody can figure out why. He had a good training camp, but hasn't done squat on the field. Ashlie Lelie is behind Jacobs for now. He was a free agent we paid some nice money to. He's known for his speed, stretching defenses, and a very high YPC average. He had a good preseason, so I can't imagine he won't soon be a factor. I hope so anyway.

btw, how do you do the "quote" thing on your board?
leothedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #33
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedog View Post
I totally agree with you, MrPuppet. VD is an absolute beast. The Niners have got to get him the ball. Heck, they're paying him a boatload of money, make him EARN IT!!
Nolan knows he's being questioned by the fans, but he come from a conservative, defensive background.

And besides VD, we've got some other very capable recievers. DJax is good, but he drops balls. Battle is our #2, but has consistantly shown he can go over the middle and grab the tough catches. He's also a Helluva blocker. Jacobs is our #3, but nobody can figure out why. He had a good training camp, but hasn't done squat on the field. Ashlie Lelie is behind Jacobs for now. He was a free agent we paid some nice money to. He's known for his speed, stretching defenses, and a very high YPC average. He had a good preseason, so I can't imagine he won't soon be a factor. I hope so anyway.

btw, how do you do the "quote" thing on your board?
From the outside looking in I still can't figure out why Davis doesn't do much.

Lelie drops A TON of balls that is why he has been available two years in a row now.

Hit the quote button (Rectangle, Yellow Square) at the bottom of someone else's post.

When it comes down to it, offensively for the 9ers it is going to be the same problem that the Bills had last week. You can't run on the Steelers, it just isn't done. That means another young QB will have to beat us. While Smith is a lot more accomplished than Losman, I still don't want a game in his hands if I'm a 49ers fan.

Defensively the 49ers should stack up fairly well, meaning it won't be a complete joke like it has been the past two weeks. But I can see 17 - 21 points by the Steelers pretty handily.

My game prediction is about 21 - 10 in favor of the B&G... The 49ers are a good team; I just don't see it this year for them. Next year is where I really think they make a mark.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #34
leothedog
Water Boy

Member Number: 7042

Davis isn't doing much because Alex Smith isn't throwing him the ball, and Davis IS NOt happy about it. He's quoted in today's paper saying he was open all day yesterday.

Lelie - Dropped balls? Well, I'd like to see him get a chance on the field with us.

The only posts with the yellow quote button are my own. No one elses.

21-10, Steeler win? That wouldn't surprise me. I hope you're wrong, but I'm not even going to begin to argue that one.

What are your wide recievers like? What's your honest assessment of them?
Who's your running back? Is he capable of 100 yard games running behind your line? I ask only because I admittedly don't really know much about your Steelers.
I'll also add a friend of mine is a BIG Steeler fan. Helluva nice guy, too.
leothedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #35
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by leothedog View Post
Davis isn't doing much because Alex Smith isn't throwing him the ball, and Davis IS NOt happy about it. He's quoted in today's paper saying he was open all day yesterday.

Lelie - Dropped balls? Well, I'd like to see him get a chance on the field with us.

The only posts with the yellow quote button are my own. No one elses.

21-10, Steeler win? That wouldn't surprise me. I hope you're wrong, but I'm not even going to begin to argue that one.

What are your wide recievers like? What's your honest assessment of them?
Who's your running back? Is he capable of 100 yard games running behind your line? I ask only because I admittedly don't really know much about your Steelers.
I'll also add a friend of mine is a BIG Steeler fan. Helluva nice guy, too.
Ok, I hadn't heard that about Vernon.

Yeah, he got traded from Denver where he was a high draft pick because he has a lot of drops. Had one year with Atlanta where he dropped a ton too. He can burn almost anybody in this league but isn't great at actually catching.

Yeah, sorry, I think it will be a good game... But I just can't see the Steelers losing right now.

Ward is the toughest receiver in the game, can play almost any position on the field. Blocks insanely well. Santonio Holmes is a very fast guy who is pretty skilled at catching deep balls and is becoming a great blocker in his own right. I assume you know what Cedric Wilson is about since he was in SF for some years... Nate Washington is an amazing athlete, but like Lelie he has drop problems.

Willie Parker is one of the leagues best, he has had quite a few 200 yard games, many 150+ yard games and 15 100 yard games. I honestly think he could contend for the rushing title this year. He has 100 yards in week one and 100 yards this past week as well.

Most Steeler fans are nice as long as you don't bash the team.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #36
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

The Steelers are clicking right now. But they haven't reached their peak yet. Not by a long shot. Especially on O.

The only players that scare me on the 49ers is Frank Gore and perhaps Vernon Davis. The Steelers need to stop Gore and force Alex Smith to beat them. I'm confident the Steelers D will handle it. Unshackled Lebeau has full control over the D, and I'm sure he's cooking up some schemes for Smith.

I'd be surprised if the Steelers don't force any turnovers this week.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #37
ShutDown24
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
The Steelers are clicking right now. But they haven't reached their peak yet. Not by a long shot. Especially on O.

The only players that scare me on the 49ers is Frank Gore and perhaps Vernon Davis. The Steelers need to stop Gore and force Alex Smith to beat them. I'm confident the Steelers D will handle it. Unshackled Lebeau has full control over the D, and I'm sure he's cooking up some schemes for Smith.

I'd be surprised if the Steelers don't force any turnovers this week.
The fact that almost no one can run on the Steelers is really what makes this team so deadly... If your QB isn't a very poised guy who can beat a team single handedly, unless Pittsburgh is having a down week, you have a very small chance to win.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 PM   #38
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

for some reason i have a really bad feeling that this is going to be a very bad game for poor alex smith.. the steeler defense is tough. i guess i am going to have to do half and half wear my smith jersey the first half of the game and my ben jersey the second half..lol.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:12 PM   #39
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703

Honest assesment of our receivers . . . well Hines Ward was a Superbowl MVP and a perennial probowler, he is tuff and blocks better than anyone. I think next year we will start seeing Holmes making a run at probowl status, possibly this year. Nate has only upsides to him, tall, fast, very athletic . . . so as soon as he shakes the drop issues he will be a topflight receiver. If you watched the Superbowl 2 years ago, You should know about our RB. FWP (Fast Willie Parker) is the one the broke the 57 or soyard TD (SB record) for us. He is stupid fast and runs between the tackles like a 250lb back. He almost always gets 100+ each game because he is so good at breaking the long run, hitting the corner and even the tuff yards between the tackles. He will be a prennial probowler IMHO.
Rotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #40
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

I'm very excited for this game because we will see our first real challenge on offense. The 9ers got alot of good young guys on D that can play. I'm pretty sure our offense will be up to the challenge. This is a dangerous game for the fact that it seems like the 9ers are playing with some confidence after starting 2-0. As for the 9ers as a whole this team has alot of promise. They are my sleeper pick to win their division this year and as far as the next couple of years they are definatly going to make some noise in the NFC.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote