Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #1
RJC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6896
Default A Few Observations from the Bills game...

1.)Ben played OK. I was disappointed in his inability to finish as well as his completion percentage early on, but he righted himself as the game progressed. The INT was retarded. Should have never been thrown, especially with a wide open Heath Miller underneath.
2.)Parker played really well. Didn't fumble for the first time in his last 5 games, so that was nice.
3.)WRs did a great job of getting open. The ball was spread around nicely. 9 different guys catching passes. Ward and Washington with a slight case of butterfingers. Concentrate!
4.)O-Line did a nice job. Consistent push and movement.
5.)Defense was great. Harrison with the abuse of Peters. Got underneath his pads and walked him all the way back. These 6'0" LBs may be a strength. Larry Foote had himself a game. One of the most solid guys on the "D". Makes every play he's supposed to make. Secondary did a great job.
6.)If I had to grade Tomlin he'd get a "B-" based of his inability to throw the GOD DAMN FLAG! Tomlin and his crew cost us big yards and 3 points. He has to have better situational awareness.
7.)It was nice watching Supelveda and his 2 punts. He sure was worth that 4th and 6th rounder. Meanwhile Randy Moss tortured that Chargers for over 100 yards and 2 TDs. It's OK, Holmes is better than Moss right?
RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117
Default Re: A Few Observations from the Bills game...

You are not giving any credit to the Bills defense. Sometimes it is not that we can not finish, it is just that their defense made a good play. Let us give credit where credit is due. Sometimes on some plays we got beat. Why can't Steeler fans accept that. On the INT, if I was Ben I would have thrown it too. Again good defense. I did not have a problem with Tomlin not throwing the flag. And how does Moss get into a post about the Bill v Steelers thread? Are you a Moss hugger? I could care less what Moss does. If he wants to smoke dope, run over cops and play for an organization that cheats, that is his business. He is free to be a good football player and a idiot.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
memphissteelergirl
Head Coach

Member Number: 2648

I agree, Indy. There were a couple of plays where the Bills' DB's were just in the right place at the right time.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Steelers View Post
You are not giving any credit to the Bills defense. Sometimes it is not that we can not finish, it is just that their defense made a good play. Let us give credit where credit is due.
I agree as well, Indy - we may have gotten FGs where TDs would have been preferable, but the Bills D really is pretty good, and we had a number of long, sustained drives against them. We're not where we need to be on offense yet, but we're getting there.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,689 Times in 2,628 Posts

One glitch was having to burn 3 timeouts in the first half becuase they apparently could not get the play in on time - IMO that resulted in a TD rather than FG to end the first half because of a need to keep spiking the ball to stop the clock

One alleged benefit of having Arians on the sidelines rather than upstairs was to allow more time for the play to be addressed in the huddle

A minor concern but one that should not have arisen repeatedly
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

On the Holmes pass that was intercepted, Heath appeared to be wide open, but the replay from a different angle showed that he had a DB or S converging from the outside. Still, given the two, I'd have preferred that he either hold the ball or attempt to hit the guy in single coverage.

I don't understand the non-call on the oob return. How did the LJ miss that? And Tomlin not flagging it is weird.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

in tomlin's defense maybe he didnt think there would be enough evidence to overturn the call and didnt want to lose a time out

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I agree as well, Indy - we may have gotten FGs where TDs would have been preferable, but the Bills D really is pretty good, and we had a number of long, sustained drives against them. We're not where we need to be on offense yet, but we're getting there.
Absolutely. I stated in a thread earlier this week that the Bills D isn't as bad as they are made out to be and they proved my theory again yesterday. Can't take that away from them. I loved our ball control yesterday, but against playoff calibre teams, I think we need to get into the EZ a little more often rather than settling for FGs if we are going to be successful against them.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #9
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

I can't see how you could possibly blame Tomlin for not throwing the flag. That's why the Steelers PAY PEOPLE IN PRESS BOXES TO LOOK AT TV'S AND TELL THE COACH WHETHER OR NOT TO CHALLENGE THE PLAY. It's not Coach T's job to stare at the scoreboard waiting to see if he should challenge. The guys in the press box should've been all over that and they weren't.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Steelers View Post
You are not giving any credit to the Bills defense. Sometimes it is not that we can not finish, it is just that their defense made a good play. Let us give credit where credit is due. Sometimes on some plays we got beat. Why can't Steeler fans accept that.
I think it's rampant and not just in football. We never seem to accept that our adversaries sometimes get the better of us.

Getting back to the game, I think we left a lot of points on the field but I'd definitely prefer to walk away with three points than zero. We didn't punt much and that is generally a good thing.

I got the sense that after the pick, Arians reined in the offense a little. The play calling was fairly conservative after that.