Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-18-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Big change, huh? Parker still getting Steelers' tough yards

PITTSBURGH ? Willie Parker must be wondering what's happened to the new system that offensive coordinator Bruce Arians was supposed to bring to the Pittsburgh Steelers this season.

With Parker following up his 1,494-yard season of a year ago with 235 yards in two games, this must feel much like that same old predictable Steelers offense to one of the AFC's top offensive players.

Maybe there are more four wide receiver sets this season, more alignments with three tight ends, yet Parker is still getting the tough yards - the yards that are putting the Steelers (2-0) in the lead and keeping them there.

"I felt like this was a big game for me," Parker said after running for 126 yards and a touchdown as Pittsburgh beat Buffalo 26-3 on Sunday. "I wasn't satisfied at all (with the opener)."

In that game, Parker gained 109 yards in a 34-7 rout of Cleveland, but he was disappointed that he didn't gain a lot more yardage. He tripped once with an open field in front of him and fumbled another time.

Against Buffalo, Parker's running helped the Steelers control the ball as they built a 12-0 lead on four Jeff Reed field goals in the first half, and he ran for a score in the second half.

"Willie opens it up for us when he has 100-yard games," wide receiver Nate Washington said. "Teams have to try to stack the box (to slow Parker), but when we're making plays as receivers they have to respect us, so they can't stack the box anymore."

Coach Mike Tomlin agreed that it's unusual to push a player who is coming off a 100-yard game, yet that is exactly what the coaching staff did last week with Parker.

"We challenged him a little bit," Tomlin said. "He challenged himself to bounce back because he ran for 100 yards last week but he wasn't pleased with his performance. He came back this week and read blocks and had nice (running) tracks and did a good job of running the ball and taking care of it."

Wasn't it only a couple of years ago that the Steelers were worrying where NFL No. 5 career rusher Jerome Bettis' replacement would come from?

Parker cost the Steelers almost nothing as a undrafted rookie free agent from North Carolina in 2004. Since then, he has had two 1,000-yard seasons and helped them win a Super Bowl with a 75-yard touchdown run against Seattle in February 2006.

Parker has three consecutive 100-yard games going back to last season and five in his last six games. He ran for 753 yards in those six games, an average of nearly 126 yards, despite being held to 29 yards against Baltimore on Dec. 24.

Through two games this season, the Steelers are averaging 195 yards rushing.

"But I'm not satisfied," Parker said. "I can't say I'm satisfied."

An example?

Parker said he should have scored on a second-down play from the Bills 1-yard line in the third quarter. On the next play, Ben Roethlisberger threw his second touchdown pass in as many games to rookie tight end Matt Spaeth.

Parker, sixth in the league in rushing a season ago, is third - 32 yards behind leader Travis Henry of Denver. He has 3,117 yards in his career despite having started for only two-plus seasons and already ranks 10th in Steelers career rushing.

Notes: The Steelers remain home Sunday to play the 49ers (2-0). Frank Gore, third in the league a year ago with 1,695 yards, has 136 yards this season. ... The Steelers offered no injury update Monday on LB James Harrison, who hurt his neck on the final play of the first half Sunday. ... The Steelers have already led the AFC North longer this season than they did all of last season, when they won their opener but then dropped six of their next seven.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...81611153_x.htm
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Re: Big change, huh? Parker still getting Steelers' tough yards

Don't you get it? Willie Parker sucks because he doesn't weigh 250 pounds. Take away all of his big runs and he has nothing.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Don't you get it? Willie Parker sucks because he doesn't weigh 250 pounds. Take away all of his big runs and he has nothing.
LOL
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

I love Parker he has a fire inside him to be the very best everytime he gets on the field.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Not surprised one bit. gotta love the guy.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:27 PM   #6
NateC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5543

Why would we want Willie parker to stop making big plays? LOL name me another back who can dink you for 2-4 yards almost anytime behind our O-line, and also just rip you up anytime he finds space. He can dink and dink and dink. and also just roll when he hits a whole. Willie is a Great back he is a feature back if you dont see that your opinion will be disregarded by me from now on on most matters. we also have Najeh. most teams now do a nice 2 back system we have a home run threat on the field when willie is on it. lol its flippin really cool. Bettis never had big plays like willie. Bus's Big plays were 20 yard scampers. Willie can hit 20 yards so fast you think he only ran 10 . If he can run for 20 + yards 3-5 times a game.... my God, You best believe that opens up Playaction and so much more.
NateC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

He is a pro bowler in a superior confrence. nuff said.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
bradness113
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1962

what can i say:

http://storesense2.megawebservers.co...You/Detail.bok

That says it all my friends... :)
Old 09-18-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

i'm impressed with his growth as a back. he now runs through arm tackles that used to bring him down in his first 1 1/2 years as a starter. and how can you not love his attitude!
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

well it isnt anything surprising. Bruce aint dumb if Willie is going to be as succesful as he as has been and the steelers have a huge lead of course we are going to run willie.

If it is a tight ball game or we are down..... well that has yet to be discovered

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote