Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-30-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,056 Posts
Default oktoberfest in new mexico

last saturday i went to our local oktoberfest sponsored by the german air force who leases our skies at our local a.f.b. (about 4000 people). being the day before the game i wore my roethlisberger jersey. all night long people approached me to talk about the steelers. keep in mind i live in between dallas, denver and phoenix. out of about 20 people i talked to about football, 2 were cowboy fan friends. a cinci fan from dayton, and a german green bay fan who had started following football a few years back. the rest of the people approached me saying "can the steelers get it done tommorow?" or "this is their year" or "knock off the pats" etc. i met a couple from the north side and we talked pittsburgh for about 20 min. mostly about the steelers. where i live about 60% of the people love the cowboys, the rest really like the steelers and hate the cowboys. now i know why the patfans act the way they do. they dont have a world wide fanbase and have never had a true rivalry in the playoffs or superbowls. even their intra conference rivalries have been pretty weak throughout the years with the bills and dolphins usually coming out on top (except the past 5 years which is an eternity in football history) . i guess the steelers are their true rival. that is sweet that they hold our franchise and fanbase in such high regards. maybe one day they will eclipse the ravens, browns, cinci, raiders, cowboys, etc. as our main rivals. hopefully it is this year. win or lose last sunday, people everywhere will always love the steelers. the patriots.....well, they better just keep winning.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
slashsteel

Member Number:
Default Re: oktoberfest in new mexico

My dad was in the Air Force so I went to a lot of air shows. Def cool. A lot of Steeler fans in the service ! !
Old 09-30-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

That's a good story hip.

I hope their was plenty of beer and good food to be had while you were socializing.

Oktoberfest=
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
The JoKeR
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 620

Which base you at in new mexico? Holloman, kirtland, or cannon?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JoKeR
Which base you at in new mexico? Holloman, kirtland, or cannon?
hafb. the germans train their poilots here in the tornado fighter jet. i saw you were from nm too and was wondering from where?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
The JoKeR
Draft Prospect

I'm up at cannon. You got the sunday ticket to watch the games ?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
tony hipchest

Quote:
I'm up at cannon. You got the sunday ticket to watch the games ?
no just sirius radio. listining to the games w/o myron cope is kind of a bummer! you actually live on the base? brack commission almost did it in. im a civilian but work at hafb
Old 10-03-2005, 02:21 AM   #8
The JoKeR
Draft Prospect

I live in the base housing but it's technically off base here lol. The BRAC kind of screwed everything up with the base. They basically gave it 3 years to find a new mission or it closes. This means that if it doesn't find a new mission, then the government will not be obligated to financially aid the town as they turned down previous offerings. I don't care much though, I've got a job to do and I'll do it where I'm told to do it. I know what you mean about myron not being on the radio anymore. I loved listening to him when I went home on leave, but all good things must come to an end. I got the sunday ticket though which I've had for 3 years now. It's DEFINATELY worth it. Plus, all the guy's I work always think they know everything that happens because they saw it on the sportscast lmfao. What do you do at holloman?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:39 AM   #9
tony hipchest

Quote:
I live in the base housing but it's technically off base here lol. The BRAC kind of screwed everything up with the base. They basically gave it 3 years to find a new mission or it closes. This means that if it doesn't find a new mission, then the government will not be obligated to financially aid the town as they turned down previous offerings. I don't care much though, I've got a job to do and I'll do it where I'm told to do it. I know what you mean about myron not being on the radio anymore. I loved listening to him when I went home on leave, but all good things must come to an end. I got the sunday ticket though which I've had for 3 years now. It's DEFINATELY worth it. Plus, all the guy's I work always think they know everything that happens because they saw it on the sportscast lmfao. What do you do at holloman?
i manage the custodial contract. the govt cutbacks are hurting us bigtime. they trimmed our budget by 40%, roughly half a million annually. last friday i had to lay off 13 employees, cut the hours of 16 others. we had 11 who werent affected. in the meantime there will be about 100+ bldgs that are gonna go to crap. i hear holloman may send cannon its centrifuge for fighter pilot training to help give it a mission. just rumors though. i believe its one of a kind for the air force. that may help. my dad grew up in pittsburgh and at 18 joined the military and got stationned here. same story with you?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #10
The JoKeR
Draft Prospect

pretty much the same story with me. Dad was military and when I turned 18 I signed on the line too, as did my younger brother. I was at robins afb before coming to cannon.