Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,803 Times in 4,078 Posts
Default 3 TE Set vs. the Bills

for those who cant watch the game or have the luxury of watching tunch break down on sportsbeat. there were 3 critical plays that came out of the 3 te set, against the bills.

willies 11 td run- spaeth and colon parted the bills like the red sea. willie walks in almost untouched.

spaeths 5 yd td- 3 te's with c. davis and w. parker in the backfield. obvious run play. 3 te's run receiving patterns. spaeth is the 3rd option.

Millers 29 yd catch. miller is lined up as willies blocker (H-back). 1 wr going deep. as the lb's play the run and the safety/cb playing the deep wr, miller is wide open.

(all this is going on while hines and holmes are on the bench, or only 1 wr is on the field. add in washington, wilson, and miller or parker and our 3-5 wr sets arent bad either.)
Old 09-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #2
BozMan
Starter

Member Number: 3027
Default Re: 3 TE Set vs. the Bills

The new formations and looks have given us a lot more options on offense. The playcalling will be even less predictable as the season progresses. I love the added deception this gives us. It guarantees that opposing defenses will make more mistakes one way or the other.
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #3
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

If nothing else these new formations are going to give us a better edge against divisional opponents who have been seeing the same playbook (both on the the field and in the Ravens case their locker room) for over the last decade.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

It's definitely a refreshing new wrinkle in our offense. My guess is that it won't be the only one, but probably the most significant one. When you think about how much we didn't use the TE in the past along with the success many teams have had with their TE's in recent years, it makes you wonder how much this could pay off.

Before this year, the TE was limited to blocking and being a legit target when need be. Now the TE position as a whole has become a point of emphasis in our offense(ie drafting Spaeth, the 3 TE set, etc). That's a pretty big jump IMO, and the fact that it's a brand new addition to the offense makes us a lot harder to read for defenses.

About the 3 TE set itself... At first I wasn't sure about the Spaeth pick. I wasn't mad or skeptical, just unsure. Looking back, 6-7 270lb TE's with basketball backgrounds are never a bad thing when you want a lethal 3 TE package. When you think about the weapons we can put on the field plus the deception and versatility that the set itself brings, the options are limitless.

You can use this formation from anywhere on the field and play-action is absolutely lethal. In the running game you can trap for a big run by Willie or block down for short yardage plays. Running inside or outside are both viable options because you have big bodies inside and big bodies sealing the outside.

We can run the 3 TE formation with the exact same personnel in the exact same positions 10 times in a row and do ten different things if we choose. Defenses are going to find themselves guessing against this formation and that's just beautiful.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Agree... I love the flexability the new offense seems to have so far and didn't realize the 3 TE set was used on those specific 3 occasions. It has been noted that Spaeths blocking thus far has been a pleasant surprise which bodes well for using this set in running and passing plays to keep the defense on their heels guessing.
Health Miller is just awesone as a receiver and drops nothing ! I think in this offense he can be a slower version of Todd Heap if utilized properly !
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #6
BozMan
Starter

Member Number: 3027

Quote:
Defenses are going to find themselves guessing against this formation and that's just beautiful.
Yep. In a way, football is a lot like poker. To win, you must win the battle of mistakes. Defenses are going to guess wrong a lot of times and will make plenty of mistakes against us.
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I know it is only week 2 but....

Don't you have to wonder that it almost seems like the shackles have been taken off both the offense and the defense.

Arians has definetly come up with great stuff. To think he was locked away as the receivers coach. I know it is nothing revolutionary but definetely outside the Pittsburgh box and in the end we still hold on to our physical persona.

And to think LITP said it would never work.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

Great analysis Tony!

I was interested as well that Spaeth was the third option on his TD catch. The progression was Miller, Tuman, and then Spaeth. I think TE's, when utilized properly, can create mismatches in the red zone and I think our TE's are a good group. That bodes well for us.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
Polly
Water Boy

Member Number: 6931

And just think about it, we've played 2 shitty teams and dominated them both. So once the games were out of hand it was just milking the clock. Im sure if we had closer games you would see a lot more big plays out of that formation. You aint see nothin yet!
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

The offense has been very refreshing.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote