Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 09-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #41
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Default Re: McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

I don't like it when anyone tried to play race card. I liked McNabb they way he played in his SB debut (can I say that?). But now he said this I like him a little less. He was pretty much the only reason I liked the Eagles.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:15 AM   #42
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Ok.

How about naming some of this stellar talent that Brady has had at his disposal?

Westbrook remains one of the elite two way threats in the backfield.

Let me throw some names at you regarding Brady's 'surrounding talent' - Jabar Gaffney, Reche Caldwell, Antowain Smith, David Givens, David Patten, Troy Brown, Deion Branch, Donald Hayes.....

Not many HOFers there, right?

Some decent players -sure, but those that have left have totally failed to repeat their output elsewhere.

I think McNabb is an okay guy from what I can tell, but the enduring image I have of him from the SB was of him puking into his helmet and walking slowly to the line while the clock ticked to zero on Phily's chance of tying the game.
In fairness, the Eagles haven't exactly had Swann, Stallworth, Harris, and Bleier during McNabb's career. The best receiver they've had (talent-wise) is a locker-room cancer who caused problems on three different teams.

As far as puking in his helmet, one of the Pats fans here has pointed out in the past that it wasn't from being nervous. It was from getting JACKE|D UP by Jarvis Green.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:51 PM   #43
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn View Post
Anyone remember Tommy Maddox? white guy booed out of town.
I remember Maddox, and while he was given hell by the fair-weather "faithful," it had nothing to do with him being cut. It was purely a football and business decision by the Rooneys and Kevin Colbert to release him. No more, no less.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:24 AM   #44
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

I think Rex Grossman would say that he is feeling more pressure than McNabb at the current moment.

Who do you think is feeling more heat Donovan?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:00 AM   #45
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Definitely Rexie...

However, McNabb is the one quarterback in the NFL who has been subjected to explicity racial scrutiny. That may have warped his perspective. Note that Vince Young disagreed with his premise and Byron Leftwich made fun of him--which indicates the younger black quarterbacks in the league are not being treated any differently. Which means at least in the NFL, the issue has become virtually nonexistent.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:14 AM   #46
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I think that McNabb is just making excuses for his
Poor Play myself...

Its just a matter of time til' the Eagles must make
a decision at QB
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:24 AM   #47
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Tom Brady and Peyton Manning aren't subject to as much scrutiny as you are Donovan because they don't suck. Right now, you're an injury-prone QB on a bad leg who is sucking terribly right now. You're under more scrutiny because you suck. Race has nothing to do to with it.

If he thought Philly hated him now, he hasn't seen anything yet. What an idiotic statement.

Philly has drafted and compiled loads of talent on that team for Mcscrub, and he (and perhaps Reid) have done nothing but waste it with their choke jobs. I think 2004 (Super Bowl XXXIX) was their last and best chance to win, now I think that window of opportunity is closed. Which If I were an Eagles fan, I'd be very sore about because The Eagles were playing the Pats tough until Mcscrub had to get sick and choke all of the sudden. Just my 2 cents.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:37 AM   #48
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

McNabb is brittle. That's a valid criticism. The timing of when the comments were publshed makes him look like a crybaby. That's fair too. He shouldn't have brought it up after the country rallied behind him when Hush Bimbo and TO made racist statements about him. Playing the race card when you should know better due to experience is bush league.

But McNabb does not suck. That's just nuts. The last two seasons he was healthy (2003-2004), he threw for a combined 7000 yards, completed over 60% of his passes, and had 47 touchdowns with just 19 interceptions.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...s/McNaDo00.htm
Old 09-23-2007, 04:27 PM   #49
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

He obviously had a chip on his shoulder today and came out and performed, albeit against a very suspect Detroit defense. It bothers me a lot, though, when these guys seem to be able to just turn it on and and off. I only respect competitors who make millions of dollars when they play to their potential all the time, regardless of what's going on in the press.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #50
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,135 Times in 3,469 Posts

ive seen mcnabb have alot of games like the one he had today w/o having to draw on the press for external motivation. todays performance can be attributed to a good gameplan, a good qb, and a defense who wasnt up to the challenge.

as for the media firestorm over mcnabbs interview (who many think was given last week), i can see where he is coming from when c. palmers skin is practically sucked off his bone by the media for throwing 6td's in a loss.

if mcnabb threw 6 td's in a loss he would probably be blasted for not running enough.

i think the assertion that mcnabb just "turned it on" because of the media drama just proves his point that he faces a hell of alot more scrutiny than alot of top qb's.

on the other hand, the media darling palmer can screw up as often as he wants, not post wins, and he will always know as a golden boy, regardless.