Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-18-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored
Question Hines Ward embroiled in legal battle

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_528145.html

By Bobby Kerlik
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, September 18, 2007

A business associate of Hines Ward has accused the Steelers receiver and another associate, who together own a South Side bar, of removing money from the business and insurance fraud.
Ward owns the Locker Room Bar & Grille, which opened in December 2005 on East Carson Street, along with Kimberly Pitts and Nicholas Lettieri.
Court documents reveal an ugly legal battle over the bar's bank accounts, accounting books and insurance claims between the owners.
Specifically, Lettieri leveled accusations in court documents that Pitts, her husband, Korry Pitts, and Ward failed to deposit cash receipts into the company accounts and have diverted the funds to their own personal bank accounts. Lettieri states that despite profits of more than $1 million and insurance money of $500,000, the company's bank accounts totaled less than $19,000 as of last week.

He also claims that Pitts, her husband, and Ward created false invoices to defraud the business of insurance proceeds of $300,000.
"We don't know where the money went," Lettieri's attorney, Bruce Fox, said today. "There's been a lot of money drained from the business."
Attorney Thomas Castello, who represents the business, called the allegations, "baseless, ridiculous and unfounded."
Castello said profits from the bar never came anywhere close to those totals and that Lettieri was a part of the process to submit insurance claims after a February incident in which a boiler malfunctioned and flooded the bar. He also said the bar was closed until June, while repairs were made.
Castello said the insurance company also inspected the premises. The carrier, RCA Insurance, did not return messages.
The court battle began last week when Castello filed a lawsuit on behalf of the company against Lettieri. In that complaint, the company accused Lettieri of withdrawing all of the company's funds -- about $19,000 -- on Sept. 11, causing the business to bounce checks, and miss payroll and tax payments.
Fox said the business owes Lettieri more than $100,000 from profits and that Lettieri withdrew the money because it's part of what he's owed.
Allegheny County Common Pleas Judge Christine Ward on Monday ordered Lettieri to return the $19,000. She also ordered that the Locker Room open its business records to Lettieri, something his attorney said was being denied.
Fox said he does not know to what extent Ward was involved in the financial mess. He said he believes Korry Pitts, whom he described as a business associate of Ward, took company money and deposited it into a personal account.
Court records show Korry Pitts was sentenced to 30 months in prison in 1997 after pleading guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to distribute narcotics. County court records show Korry and Kimberly Pitts recently bought a $360,000 Franklin Park home in April.
Attorney David Slomski, who was hired to represent Kimberly Pitts and Ward, did not return calls for comment.
Ward and several Steelers are known to frequent the bar and some have tended bar on occasion. A hearing on the case is set for Thursday.

Bobby Kerlik can be reached at bkerlik@tribweb.com or 412-391-0927
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997
Default Re: Hines Ward embroiled in legal battle

Hope it isn't true but if it is... WINES HARD!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Sounds like going after the deep pockets instead of the guilty party.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #4
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
Sounds like going after the deep pockets instead of the guilty party.
Exactly. Hines didn't do anything. His associate just wants money

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

that is why they say you never do business with family and friends..lol..

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I love Hines to pieces, but I have to ask . . .

Why would he take on a slug as a business associate?

Quote:
Court records show Korry Pitts was sentenced to 30 months in prison in 1997 after pleading guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to distribute narcotics.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Based on my experience in taking police reports.....If a party sues only AFTER the being sued by his partners for withdrawel of company funds.....Then its usually retalitory in nature.
Sounds like Lettieri got his hand caught in the cookie jar by illegally taking the $19,000, and now is trying to validate his crime.
Anyone know if Lettieri is a Bengal fan?
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

EXACTLY what I was thinking. You rise or fall to the company you keep.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

maybe he should ask michael vick about what kind of business associates you should and shouldnt hang around with??

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
PittsburghPower
Water Boy

Member Number: 7105

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Based on my experience in taking police reports.....If a party sues only AFTER the being sued by his partners for withdrawel of company funds.....Then its usually retalitory in nature.
Sounds like Lettieri got his hand caught in the cookie jar by illegally taking the $19,000, and now is trying to validate his crime.
Anyone know if Lettieri is a Bengal fan?
I think you have it all wrong, but we shall see.. And how is it illegal to take money from an account if you are the owner? Maybe he was trying to force a resolution? There is deception, but I think we will see that Pitts (convicted felon) was skimming from both Ward and Letteiri- Did you read the article above? It explains quite clearly what happened, and Ward (part of the business) was named in the suit against Letteiri because the "Business" sued Letteiri for withdrawing the 19,000- but he probably did that to stop all "business" and force Pitts to hand over the business records and to fess up about the money he took from the "business". Sounds like a pretty good legal tactic to force a response.. Just my take on the situation

Last edited by PittsburghPower; 09-19-2007 at 03:51 PM.
PittsburghPower is offline   Reply With Quote