Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,864 Times in 2,109 Posts
Default watching last weeks game for the 2nd time

it is obvious that the patriots were targeting james farriors zone coverage in the passing game, whether it be in covering the running back or short crossing routes and underneath stuff. the patriots mustve seen something in gamefilm which they thought they could capitalize on (which they did) either that or it was obvious he was tired on the field. im thinking maybe thats why they utilized k. faulk so early and often in the game. good thing is farrior is a good player and with a little more offensive ball control will definitely rebound. good game the 2nd time around. go chargers!
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:59 AM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: watching last weeks game for the 2nd time

We cannot expect Farrior to drop into coverage all the time. Teams sometimes pick up on Troy`s blitz`s and know that there is a weak spot in our coverage, Not to mention when you give Brady that kind of time he will find the miss match. You cant half ass bring the blitz and expect anyone to cover for 7 to 10 seconds or longer. If you bring heat, bring it all.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:11 AM   #3
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Watched it all too and our middle distance coverage is weak again and exposed. Also looked like Hartings and Simmons got beat plenty to make a big difference. Seymour made it so if I can remember. Things I did like was the times Ben didn't throw and ran. These are times when I wish I could get coaches tape to see if anyone was open, or if it was actually a good call. Either way you see that not throwing picks brings you much closer to beating the world champs than throwing 3. Note: Is it me or does NE not seems to be taking those 2-4 good shots deep downfield this year? Seems like there is always a few good routes that get past everyone. Again coaches tape would point this out, but it may be coverage or are people actually getting a split second closer to Tom?
Old 10-02-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,864 Times in 2,109 Posts

jaws and hoge got a great job looking at gamefilm all day. as for brady taking shots downfield, hes never really been a deep ball thrower. i think the deep pass play is almost like a trick play in their offense, designed as a quick strike to suprize, demoralize, and catch off guard their opponent. just like the steelers dont come out throwing all over the field, they dont need to because they move their ball so methodically with their running game, same with the patriots, they move so methodically with their short passing game. plays into both teams ball control philosophy. bens running has been good. he loses some extra yards by slowing down and looking to throw til the last second. that was a great thing about kordell. he would decide to run and run full speed while still making the defense think he was looking for the throw.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
slashsteel

Member Number:

I think I read somewhere that Farrior admitted to having a bad game. It is all good like it was mentioned he will rebound. Early in the season, so lets start decent and end strong........
Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #6
rowedf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 367

I'm still unsure why Troy wasn't used like they did in the first 2 games? Against the Titans and Texans he was EVERYWHERE pre snap....against the Pats, he lined up, and stuck with it.....it just didnt look like the same D without him moving around a lot. I was at the game, so maybe I missed him doing that, but did anyone notice the same thing?