Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-27-2006, 09:41 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Landis Notified of Positive Doping Test

Phonak: Landis had positive test after Stage 17ESPN.com news services

LONDON -- Tour de France champion Floyd Landis tested positive for high levels of testosterone during the race, his Phonak team said Thursday on its Web site.

The statement came a day after cycling's world governing body said an unidentified rider had failed a drug test during the Tour.

"The Phonak Cycling Team was notified yesterday by the UCI of an unusual level of testosterone/epitestosterone ratio in the test made on Floyd Landis after stage 17 of the Tour de France," Phonak said in a team statement.

The International Cycling Union said Wednesday that an unidentified cyclist turned in a positive doping test during the Tour, widening the scandal that gripped this year's race before it began.

The organization said it wouldn't release his name, team and nationality until the testing process is completed, including the analysis of a backup sample.

Landis failed to show up for a one-day race in Denmark on Thursday, a day after missing a scheduled event in the Netherlands.

Danish organizers said they had arranged a contract and plane tickets for Landis and Phonak teammates to participate in the Grand Prix Jyske Bank race in Silkeborg, about 150 miles west of Copenhagen.

Landis also failed to appear for the Acht van Chaam race in the Netherlands on Wednesday.

Dutch news agency ANP quoted his teammate Koos Moerenhout as saying that Landis had pain from his hip problem and had gone to see his doctor in Germany.

He plans to have hip replacement surgery this fall to ease pain in the arthritic joint still aching from a 2003 crash during a training ride.

"We were told by the other two riders that he couldn't join because he was traveling with team manager [John] Lelangue to his doctor in Germany," event organizer Theo van der Westerlaken said. "That's all we know."

Landis did take part in a criterium race Tuesday in Stiphout, Netherlands, winning the event.

Landis won the Tour de France on Sunday, keeping the title in U.S. hands for the eighth straight year after Lance Armstrong's record seven victories.

On the eve of the Tour's start, nine riders -- including pre-race favorites Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso -- were ousted, implicated in a Spanish doping investigation.

The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf200...ory?id=2531225
Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580
Default Re: Landis Notified of Positive Doping Test

Man, I hope this gets reversed by the backup sample. I just can't imagine a reasonable person doping up in the middle of the Tour and not thinking he was going to get caught.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
Man, I hope this gets reversed by the backup sample. I just can't imagine a reasonable person doping up in the middle of the Tour and not thinking he was going to get caught.
I hear that. It's not looking good though. That sport is starting to become a joke.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43
I hear that. It's not looking good though. That sport is starting to become a joke.
I think the tragedy of modern sports is that no one can do anything extraordinary these days without there being speculation of cheating. You can believe in the people you like, but you can also call them cheaters when you don't like them (please keep guffaws regarding stuck in the mud Seahawk fans to a minimum). And no one can ever truly prove they didn't take performance enhancers since you can't prove a negative.

Its too bad because it kinda makes me feel like a sucker if you cheer for a guy and then find out something like this. I don't want to turn into a total cynic regarding grand athletic achievement.

But I will await the final results of Landis before I judge. I know that some of Armstrong's old samples were incorrectly interepreted to be positive for a big L'Equipe article trying to smear him. (Not that I am positive he didn't dope)
Old 07-27-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

There's two tiers of talent in cycling; Armstrong, and everyone else. So now that just about everyone else has tested positive for doping, there's only one conclusion that can be made about Armstrong...

He's an alien.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
cbalke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2602

and the dude from brokeback wants his body.
cbalke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #7
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i don't think a morman would do something like that.. if it is true it could be for his hip

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer
I think the tragedy of modern sports is that no one can do anything extraordinary these days without there being speculation of cheating. You can believe in the people you like, but you can also call them cheaters when you don't like them (please keep guffaws regarding stuck in the mud Seahawk fans to a minimum). And no one can ever truly prove they didn't take performance enhancers since you can't prove a negative.

Its too bad because it kinda makes me feel like a sucker if you cheer for a guy and then find out something like this. I don't want to turn into a total cynic regarding grand athletic achievement.

But I will await the final results of Landis before I judge. I know that some of Armstrong's old samples were incorrectly interepreted to be positive for a big L'Equipe article trying to smear him. (Not that I am positive he didn't dope)
No, you got it all wrong, you can't be AMERICAN and do anything extraordinary.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #9
MattsMe
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2044

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6
i don't think a morman would do something like that.. if it is true it could be for his hip
He's not mormon.
MattsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsMe
He's not mormon.
His parents are mennonites.