Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Pro Bowl
8:00PM Eastern on ESPN

Old 03-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
TESS743
Starter

Member Number: 19110
My Mood: Pensive
Default Opinions please

1. Should we be concerned that a free agent CB was not signed and are you completely satisfied with our present CBs? I guess we can all agree that they're ok but not great. I know that we will be drafting a CB, but I was really hoping that the Steelers would have picked up a quality free agent CB that would upgrade our defense while the new kid learns the system.

2. How well do you think the Titan's defense will be this year? One of the guys that I would have loved to have on the Steelers, Orakpo, was signed by them. They seemed to have signed some good players for key positions. What kind of success do you expect LeBeau to have with their defense this year? How well do you think they will be able to pick up his defensive schemes? I also wonder if he will continue to not play rookies for 2 or 3 years or due to his departure from the Steelers, will he tweak his way of coaching.

I'm excited about Keith Butler coaching and hope to see our young players get on the field a lot sooner so we can see how they grow. The season is nowhere near starting, but I'm nervous already. A lot of teams have improved themselves in free agency, but as usual we didn't do much. Although from what I'm reading Williams seems to be a good signing.

I love reading the insights that you guys and gals have and I would appreciate your opinions. I'm not on the ledge yet (too early), but I'm walking towards the window.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 14,021 Times in 5,549 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Opinions please

walk up to that window, stick your head out and yell

I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!
Buddha Bus (03-21-2015), fer522 (03-21-2015), pczach (03-21-2015), SH-Rock (03-21-2015), teegre (03-21-2015), TESS743 (03-21-2015), tube517 (03-21-2015), VaDave (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #3
ETL
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I. Ok with Gay and Cortez Allen as starters with Blake as backup. Besides Revis, not sure if anyone was worth spending a lot in free agency. I think this was a weak free agency class so i am ok that they have not signed anyone. Kyle Wilson intrigues me but I am ok if they don't sign him and just fill the roster with young draft talent

2. To be honest, I don't care about the Titans. Whether they do well or not is something I have not given one thought
Old 03-21-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
ETL
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post

Great movie! Faye Dunaway seems to look "old" even when she was young.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Great movie! Faye Dunaway seems to look "old" even when she was young.
movie?

just kidding, yeah that is a really good one. everybody knows the line, but I wonder how many people know it's from a movie
ETL (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

at this point I think we're all hoping Allen can be at least return to form of a decent #2 CB. I was really impressed with Blake. If they think Webb will be better I can't wait to see him play.

I agree with ETL. I'm not interested in how the Titans do, other than that I'd love to see Lebeau go out at the top of his game
ETL (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
vrabinec
Team President

Member Number: 8821
Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,126 Posts
My Mood: Buzzed

1. Resignation has set in. Unless we hit the jackpot at a million to one and grab a competent corner in the draft, our corners will be a serious liability, and may cost us a championship at the hands of a Luck or Brady in the playoffs. It's like watching a relative who's got an addiction, and there's nothing you can do but watch them hit rock bottom.

2. Orakpo will be hurt and either sidelined, or ineffective by the third game. The Titan defense will be learning a complex new scheme. They may show some promise by the end of the year, but the instability will cost them and they'll finish out of the playoffs again.

I could be wrong. Hope I'm wrong on the first one.
vrabinec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vrabinec For This Useful Post:
casteeler (03-22-2015), harrison'samonster (03-21-2015), ImperialFan (03-21-2015), SteelMusic (03-22-2015), TESS743 (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
SH-Rock
Living Legend

Member Number: 15497
Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:

Great scene!
SH-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SH-Rock For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 AM   #9
pczach
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24694
Thanked 11,002 Times in 4,184 Posts
My Mood: Doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TESS743 View Post
1. Should we be concerned that a free agent CB was not signed and are you completely satisfied with our present CBs? I guess we can all agree that they're ok but not great. I know that we will be drafting a CB, but I was really hoping that the Steelers would have picked up a quality free agent CB that would upgrade our defense while the new kid learns the system.

2. How well do you think the Titan's defense will be this year? One of the guys that I would have loved to have on the Steelers, Orakpo, was signed by them. They seemed to have signed some good players for key positions. What kind of success do you expect LeBeau to have with their defense this year? How well do you think they will be able to pick up his defensive schemes? I also wonder if he will continue to not play rookies for 2 or 3 years or due to his departure from the Steelers, will he tweak his way of coaching.

I'm excited about Keith Butler coaching and hope to see our young players get on the field a lot sooner so we can see how they grow. The season is nowhere near starting, but I'm nervous already. A lot of teams have improved themselves in free agency, but as usual we didn't do much. Although from what I'm reading Williams seems to be a good signing.

I love reading the insights that you guys and gals have and I would appreciate your opinions. I'm not on the ledge yet (too early), but I'm walking towards the window.

1. You should be concerned that they haven't signed a free agent CB. I think everyone is, because you have some idea what you're getting from a talent and performance perspective. Draft picks are a complete unknown, because even though you see the speed, skill, and talents of CB's, it doesn't always translate to the NFL. Sometimes the talent doesn't fit the defensive scheme you try to play them in for whatever reasons.

That doesn't mean that all is lost. If Cortez Allen can get his head straight, he stabilizes the CB position. I know that's a big "if" at this point, but it is a possibility. He's done it before. Also, if the play at the safety position is improved, it will help the CB play. I believe the coverage skills at safety will be improved with Polamalu not in coverage, and with an improved and healthy Mitchell.

They will probably be drafting two CB's in this draft. If they can add that talent, and perhaps find someone that can be used in limited duties in dime and be brought in to play man coverage in certain spots, they will be ok and secure the future of that position.

A trade is still a possibility to acquire talent. Not likely, but it could still happen.

All is not lost.

2. I'm not too concerned with what the Titans or LeBeau will do. They picked up some players, but it's because they had the cap room to do so.

LeBeau will be in a completely different organization. I'm sure he will have a lot of input, but certain things will still be dictated to him.

I was hoping the Steelers would have picked up a free agent CB or edge rusher, but they still believe the way to build is through the draft. If they draft a 3-4 OLB that can rush the passer, it will set them up for years on defense. The defensive line is going to be better, and they will pressure the quarterback. Tuitt is coming into his own. The pass rush ability of Heyward and Tuitt should be exciting to everyone. It also gives them more versatility in attacking the quarterback, and could allow more use of 4-3 alignments.

The bottom line here is that the Steelers defense is improving, and will continue to improve. They are a few pieces away from being very young and very good. I think we all have to have faith in the organization. I don't agree with everything they do, but I understand that they have a great track record that can't be questioned. They know what they're doing.

Keith Butler will be given the ingredients. He needs to maximize what they give him by utilizing the talent and putting them in positions to succeed and playing to their strengths.

We're all excited to see what Butler brings to the table.
pczach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pczach For This Useful Post:
Buddha Bus (03-22-2015), ETL (03-21-2015), Galax Steeler (03-22-2015), harrison'samonster (03-21-2015), steelcrazy (03-22-2015), TESS743 (03-21-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
ETL
Team Owner
Supporter

Quote:
movie?

just kidding, yeah that is a really good one. everybody knows the line, but I wonder how many people know it's from a movie
I'm an amateur film buff and I've seen every movie nominated for a best picture Oscar in the past 40 years except for one movie ... Probably the one that everyone else has seen ... "E.T."