Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

Report: McNabb says black QBs under more pressure
ESPN.com news services
Updated: September 18, 2007, 9:30 AM ET

African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and more criticism than their white counterparts, Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb says in an interview scheduled to air on HBO on Tuesday night.

McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly.

"I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.

"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies.

Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb tells HBO. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3025308
Old 09-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Re: McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

Mcnabb loves using that race card. What a crock of sh!t. He is under more pressure because he plays in philly.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."
That's what I always thought up until this interview.

Also, I would like to hear Charlie Frye's take on this.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,654 Times in 4,010 Posts

try playing in pittsburgh mcnabb, where white qb's got it just as bad, if not worse.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
try playing in pittsburgh mcnabb, where white qb's got it just as bad, if not worse.
he just always has excuses for his sucking. Mcnabb is way overrated.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

I think mcscrub made the same mistake culpepper made and rushed himself from his injury. I think it will cost mcscrub greatly and I dont think mcscrub will be back with the eagles next year
Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Mcnabb loves using that race card. What a crock of sh!t. He is under more pressure because he plays in philly.
On top of playing in a city where the sports fans are absolutely brutal (some athletes think it's bad here, spend a season in Philly and get back to us), but what has the guy won since being in the league? I think the guy is a talented QB, but he still has something to prove. Sounds familiar huh? Well.............

I also recall Manning being known as a choker come playoff time up until he finally won a Super Bowl. Is that not considered taking heat or being "criticized" in McNabb's book? I'm sure it's great being known as one hell of a regular season QB and then being known as a choker come playoff time. I'm sure that did not eat away at Manning up until he held up that Lombardi.

Give me a break. I'm sure Bryant Gumbel was just loving that interview.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
On top of playing in a city where the sports fans are absolutely brutal (some athletes/fans think it's bad here, spend a season in Philly and get back to us), but what has the guy won since being in the league? I think the guy is a talented QB, but he still has something to prove. Sounds familiar huh? Well.............

I also recall Manning being known as a choker come playoff time up until he finally won a Super Bowl. Is that not considered taking heat or being "criticized" in McNabb's book? I'm sure it's great being known as one hell of a regular season QB and then being known as a choker come playoff time. I'm sure that did not eat away at Manning up until he held up that Lombardi.

Give me a break. I'm sure Bryant Gumbel was just loving that interview.
I would love to hear t.o's take on this. Fact of the matter is the eagles are a better team without mcnabb. I think last year with garcia is proof of that. Or maybe the fact the eagles have lost 6 out of thier last 7 with mcnabb as a starter. To bad mcnabb ran t.o. out of town
Old 09-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #9
ShutDown24
Team President

Member Number: 3997

Peyton Manning and Carson don't get criticized because they are white?

1. They don't get criticized as much because as far as throwing the ball they are a lot better than you.

2. They do get criticized as much as you nationally, just not in Philly.

See, this is the problem with all of these guys using racial excuses when they suck. They actually think they are right. Look Donovan, you are in Philly. Of course you’re going to be criticized more than Palmer in Philly because you play in Philly! Go to Chicago, Cleveland, Carolina, Oakland, and Miami and then tell me you get criticized more there.

Oakland fans are cheering for an AA in Culpepper! What are you talking about Donovan? I think T.O rubbed off on McNabb in the years they played together...
Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

This just in: Mike Tomlin is racist against black people because he cut Bryan Randall and kept Brian St. Pierre.