Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-25-2007, 02:13 PM   #1
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403
Default Don Banks/SI - Not All 3-0 Teams Created Equal (Steelers)

I agree with him - if we can take at least two of three in weeks 7-9, I'll put the Steelers up there with New England and Indy as 100% for-real Super Bowl contenders.

"Not all 3-0s are created equal. The resurgent Steelers might wind up being one of the success stories of the year in the NFL, but through no fault of their own, we really don't know enough about Mike Tomlin's guys to christen them an elite team. Pittsburgh has won convincingly three weeks in a row, but those victories came against the Charlie Frye-led Browns, the injury-decimated Bills and the offensively-challenged 49ers.

In Weeks 7-8-9, the Steelers will show us what they've got, when they draw at Denver, at Cincinnati and home against Baltimore. Our hunch is the Steelers are for real. But you can't put them in the same class as the Patriots or Colts based on three wins against teams that had losing records last season."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nts/index.html
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Re: Don Banks/SI - Not All 3-0 Teams Created Equal (Steelers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
I agree with him - if we can take at least two of three in weeks 7-9, I'll put the Steelers up there with New England and Indy as 100% for-real Super Bowl contenders.

"Not all 3-0s are created equal. The resurgent Steelers might wind up being one of the success stories of the year in the NFL, but through no fault of their own, we really don't know enough about Mike Tomlin's guys to christen them an elite team. Pittsburgh has won convincingly three weeks in a row, but those victories came against the Charlie Frye-led Browns, the injury-decimated Bills and the offensively-challenged 49ers.

In Weeks 7-8-9, the Steelers will show us what they've got, when they draw at Denver, at Cincinnati and home against Baltimore. Our hunch is the Steelers are for real. But you can't put them in the same class as the Patriots or Colts based on three wins against teams that had losing records last season."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nts/index.html
I was listening to "Da Coach" and Hoge talk about this on ESPN two days ago..Hoge was pressing the point that the Steelers ARE in the same league because they can do something that no other team can do....pressure the QB to a point that you take him out of the game. He went on to say that the Steelers offense CAN score on these teams and they are legitimate contenders to go deep into the playoffs. (Even mentioned the "S" word.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Until we play some of the better teams, I'm sure this will be a popular opinion. It's only a matter of time unitl we beat the better teams. One game at a time and we will get there.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

this really shouldnt be a surprise to anyone. we have the same basic core of players that took us to 15-1 and a super bowl win. we may be even better on both sides of the ball with the experience gained of ben, parker, miller, taylor, polamalu, the list goes on... the additions of holmes and smith could be big for us as well. i for one definitely think that our defense is better than it was in 2004 and 2005 because of the scheme and personnel. i still need to see more out of the offense to declare it better, but so farn so good.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
rog
Starter

Member Number: 5902

I realize the Steelers wins came against teams that are not very good but they were very convincing they have dominated from the start of the Browns game through the 49ers game. The Patriots have done the same but were the teams they played all that great ...no. If you want to say the Jets are a good team go ahead and I will disagree they might be better than the Bills or Browns but I don't think they are better than the 49ers. Ok I know everyone is going to say what about the Chargers? They just lost to the Packers barely beat the Bears and are definatly not the same team they were last year. I agree with Hoge we got just as good of a shot as anybody in this league if the team plats up to their potential and I believe their best football is still ahead of them. Lets go Steelers proving everyone wrong again.

GO STEELERS!!!
rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

I can agree with that article. It is true, until then alot of them will feel that way.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 AM   #7
Providence Steel
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 6523

What I don't like about the article is that after beating the Jets, Bills and a Chargers team that is just a shadow of itself as compared to last year, the Patriots are anointed a "class 5 hurricane". Yeah they beat them big and Moss has 5 touchdowns....Class 5 Hurricane???

After loosing Parcells and hiring Phillips, the Cowboys are clearly on the right track as well. Praise to the team for doing the right thing.

After beating the Bills, 49ers, and the Browns, the Steelers are looked down upon because of the class of the opposition??? Has any team the Patriots played this year put up 51 points in any game?

What games is Don Banks watching!?! As a New England resident, I get every Patriots game and I can tell you that the running game is not that great looking yet. Moss looks fantastic...against mediocre teams so far and Brady looks the best I've ever seen him. Defense is good too but to be honest, since watching the Steelers on the internet, the Steelers appear to be more balanced across the board and our defense is certainly more impressive.

Don Banks has never uttered a kind word about the Steelers unless what he says is an obvious fact that cannot be denied. He's a Patriots homer.

Beside that, the Steelers are more closely removed from a Super Bowl victory than the Cowboys or the Patriots and anyone with a nose on his face could see that last year's performance was a combination of injury, a slump coming off a Super Bowl win (didn't the same happen to the "Class 5 Hurricanes"?) and a coach who's heart was not into the game for his last year.
Providence Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:17 AM   #8
onthebus36
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5208

You can only play the teams on your schedule. If the Steelers beat bad teams, they beat them the way you are supposed to beat bad teams - convincingly. Those teams were dominated.

We play increasingly better teams over the next two games. Playing at Denver is never easy but I follow the Broncos and they have the look of a team in disarray. For one, they barely beat the Bills.

Next up is the Bengals. I don't know what to make of this team other than that they are clearly inconsistent and lack discipline.

After that is the Ravens. Again, they are playing well overall but are keeping teams they should beat handily in the game. And their D is giving up a lot in the 4th quarter.

Anyway, I agree with the article in that the Steelers need to play an elite team for us to get a better picture of who this team is. I also agree that three game stretch will tell us a lot. However, based on the way some of the teams we face this season have performed so far, I like our chances.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence Steel View Post
What I don't like about the article is that after beating the Jets, Bills and a Chargers team that is just a shadow of itself as compared to last year, the Patriots are anointed a "class 5 hurricane". Yeah they beat them big and Moss has 5 touchdowns....Class 5 Hurricane???

After loosing Parcells and hiring Phillips, the Cowboys are clearly on the right track as well. Praise to the team for doing the right thing.

After beating the Bills, 49ers, and the Browns, the Steelers are looked down upon because of the class of the opposition??? Has any team the Patriots played this year put up 51 points in any game?

What games is Don Banks watching!?! As a New England resident, I get every Patriots game and I can tell you that the running game is not that great looking yet. Moss looks fantastic...against mediocre teams so far and Brady looks the best I've ever seen him. Defense is good too but to be honest, since watching the Steelers on the internet, the Steelers appear to be more balanced across the board and our defense is certainly more impressive.

Don Banks has never uttered a kind word about the Steelers unless what he says is an obvious fact that cannot be denied. He's a Patriots homer.

Beside that, the Steelers are more closely removed from a Super Bowl victory than the Cowboys or the Patriots and anyone with a nose on his face could see that last year's performance was a combination of injury, a slump coming off a Super Bowl win (didn't the same happen to the "Class 5 Hurricanes"?) and a coach who's heart was not into the game for his last year.

Nice post man. As I read the article I just didn't see the "TOUGHNESS" in the future 3 game stretch of schedule mentioned in the article. Has anyone watched the Broncos squeaking out victories against less than average opponents? How about the Ravens? Yes their defense is semi-tough but it's not nearly as good as it was last season. In the 2nd half of the Jets game you saw a 2nd year QB shred them apart. And then they mention Cincinnati, WHAT? STFU! That's certainly not going to be a tough game.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,381 Times in 500 Posts

And I should care what Don Banks thinks because....?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote