Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,922 Times in 4,520 Posts
Default So Whisenhunt is Thinking....

"ive got the greatest show on turf qb and 2 great receivers to test the suspect steelers secondary, or edgerrin james, the only rb to prove he can hang a hunnerd on the steelers in 3 years".

he has to think he knows all the steelers strength and weaknesses and im sure is itching to run this game as if he had james on his heyday or fitzgerald and boldin with the steelers.

maybe he's tired of working with kids at qb and is itching to see what he can do with warner (something he was able to do with batch).

so which way is he leaning and why?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: So Whisenhunt is Thinking....

So Whisenhunt is Thinking....

"Oh s*it.....I knew what this team was capable of last season, now I'm dealing with a new HC who installed his own playbook and tactics. Should I hire a video camerman? Do I go with pretty boy or Warner? Does it really matter? I already know my running game will be completely shut down. On defense I got a minor break with Ward out, but does it really matter when they are throwing to two tight ends? Mommy help. Where's Billy Cowher?"
Old 09-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
So Whisenhunt is Thinking....

"Oh s*it.....I knew what this team was capable of last season, now I'm dealing with a new HC who installed his own playbook and tactics. Should I hire a video camerman? Do I go with pretty boy or Warner? Does it really matter?"
i was hoping he would go the e. james route and try to catch us "off balance".
Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,490 Times in 3,733 Posts

Pass, not run - James 100+ will not happen again- But IMO Whiz knows that if he is going to exploit the Steelers D he has a much better shot of doing it at the present time with Warner - but his long term future is with Leinart (if not Whiz goes as HC before Leinart does) - so when does he pull Leinart and risk damaging his psyche?

His other problem is that Cardinals defense - Tomlin & Arians are not running the Whiz offense, so I question how much he can exploit Ben, FWP, and Holmes. His best shot is if Mahan cannot go, which will force Simmons to C and destabilize C and RG.

FWIW I am not feeling real confident for the first time this season
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 PM   #5
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

My guess? When we are on defense they will get some underneath stuff but nothing to worry about. IMO, our offense will blow them up. This sounds basic, but I really don't see it being much more detailed/complicated than that. I'm not looking past these guys, but I see absolutely no reason why we can't completely blow them out (Ward or no Ward). I was more worried with the 49ers to be honest.

Cards defense vs Steeler offense is no match.

Maybe I'm just getting a little ****y?....lol. Hell, as long as the players don't, I guess it really doesn't matter.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
tony hipchest
Supporter

i think one thing can certainly be said about this season. the way the schedule is set up, and the way our future competition is looking to this point, it is gonna get progressively stronger as each week passes (with exception of brownsweek II, of course). our 9th game can easilly be 9 times as tough as our first. the chess match is figuring out which direction wizards like whiz are gonna go. when it comes to predicting them, im pretty confident with tomlin and lebeau.

like 83 said, im not to worried about our offense against their defense despite what whiz may know... their offensive weapons seem more concerning.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Well, I wrote this in a different thread...

Well, let's think for a minute. Our defensive mantra for this season is that we are going to dictate to them how the game will be played.

So, how do we think that is going to play out, against Whiz and Grimmy? What do we think they are going to think?

They are going to try and throw, is what that means. They figure that they have some pretty potent weapons, and Whiz certainly remembers last year's debacle with Ike and knows that we haven't faced any good QBs yet. They know that teams who beat the Steelers over the last two years did it by piling up points early and often.

So, we will dictate the game by playing suffocating pass defense. This is the week we get to see how Lebeau has mixed in Cover 2. But sometimes we will jam the receivers hard at the line. We'll force them to mix in the shorter passes, then we'll sit on the routes and intercept; on the longer routes look for coverage sacks. Hampton covers the run; the Cards don't have the line to beat us. Okobi, our "center of the future", lost out to a UDFA.

Last week's game tape will be useless for AZ. Those weaknesses have already been identified and will be addressed and corrected. Tomlin is one week ahead already.

Even still, stopping them won't be easy. Leinart and Fitz are great talents, and they can put up the numbers against us. But we get the ball, too. Honestly, this is going to be the week the Steelers score at will. I look for 40+ points from Ben & Co.

I dunno, 45-17, 45-23, something like that.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
tony hipchest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Well, I wrote this in a different thread...

Well, let's think for a minute. Our defensive mantra for this season is that we are going to dictate to them how the game will be played.

So, how do we think that is going to play out, against Whiz and Grimmy? What do we think they are going to think?

They are going to try and throw, is what that means. They figure that they have some pretty potent weapons, and Whiz certainly remembers last year's debacle with Ike and knows that we haven't faced any good QBs yet. They know that teams who beat the Steelers over the last two years did it by piling up points early and often.

So, we will dictate the game by playing suffocating pass defense. This is the week we get to see how Lebeau has mixed in Cover 2. But sometimes we will jam the receivers hard at the line. We'll force them to mix in the shorter passes, then we'll sit on the routes and intercept; on the longer routes look for coverage sacks. Hampton covers the run; the Cards don't have the line to beat us. Okobi, our "center of the future", lost out to a UDFA.

Last week's game tape will be useless for AZ. Those weaknesses have already been identified and will be addressed and corrected. Tomlin is one week ahead already.

Even still, stopping them won't be easy. Leinart and Fitz are great talents, and they can put up the numbers against us. But we get the ball, too. Honestly, this is going to be the week the Steelers score at will. I look for 40+ points from Ben & Co.

I dunno, 45-17, 45-23, something like that.

Tom
this is definitely the way im leaning.

whiz has seen plenty of times the steeler opponents have gotten shut down trying to run the ball. i dont think he would try to run any rb down hamptons throat (not even the great frank gore). on the flipside, whiz has seen plenty of opponents try to spread the steelers out, attack them through the air, and then gash them for the run. he's gotta roll with the odds, right? i wonder what tomlin thinks he will do. or does it matter? will tomlin have the team prepared no matter what the cardinals do? [rhetorical].

i think he will.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Whichever way Whiz is leaning, he better hope his hogs upfront can keep whomever's lined up under center, off their asses.

If we can keep the pressure on Leinart/Warner like we did Smith/Losman/whichever Brownie QB, we've got an excellent chance to roll these chumps over and have our way with them.

Just my opinion, I'm willing to concede that I could be wrong.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
slippy
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5848

i also think the game will be high scoring, and decided late in the fourth. a trip cross country is always difficult although i don't believe AZ has much of a homefield advantage yet, if ever.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote