Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Steelers Experience

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

View Poll Results: what do u prefer
i like willie here the bus was good but its not the way any more 1 7.14%
i want the bus back! wish he was still here 3 21.43%
i like them both gotta move with the times 7 50.00%
who cares our run game still kicks *** 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206
Default Nostalgia "kicking in"

well its been a whole season since the bus left and is on his road for caton but for some reason all i could think about was Jerome Bettis. Not really sure why but i really miss him, not that parker hasnt taken over with a bang, but its just different, i grew up worshiping the Bus, he was why i was able to sit in awe while watching a steelers game, jerome was the best of the best in power runners infact the other day i saw on espn that he was like number 7 in espns top 10 all rime power runners in the nfl! his style was just amazing he would charge into any man coming at him and throw him to the ground it took at least 2-3 guys at the least to get the Bus down. Willie now runs with a new style which is the up and coming style as u can see in the nfl with LT, Westbrook, Willie...ect. They are fast and swift runners who dont break tackles as much as they avoid them. I really miss guys like bettis who would go kick ass out there! Anyone else feeling this?

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Default Re: Nostalgia "kicking in"

can this thread be moved into steelers experience please thanks

Old 08-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I could have chosen any one of 3 answers, but I picked #1. I think it IS time for a change. Moving the ball is moving the ball, and I think Parker can do it as well as Bus could. Bus had some good speed... but I have no doubt Parker can bust up a guy every now and then, too.

I don't think it's so much a change in philosophy as much as it is an adaptation of the offense to maximize a player's talent. If the next back is a bruiser, then we'll run plays that take advantage of it. I like the idea of having a guy who can rack up 200 yards in a game. And Bus had more than his share of no gains and -1s. His value was his absolute relentlessness once we had the lead. Parker's value is in getting that lead.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #4
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

but we need a bruiser back , well we dont need one but i miss it

Old 08-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Why do we need a bruiser back? That doesn't make sense. We need to move the football down the field on the ground. How it happens is just a matter of the details. Even when FWP goes wide around the end, he still needs guards pulling and tight ends and Hines Ward out there knocking guys over like bowling pins. Just because he's smaller and quicker doesn't change the game to croquet. We'll still smash, and FWP will be a lot farther downfield when the play is over because of it.

Bus was pretty freakin' quick in the open field; he was no slouch when it came to speed. And FWP can drive through guys; he doesn't have the bulk, but he has huge thighs. The coaches will call the plays that take advantage of the player's strengths, but they will still need to mix it up. Bus went around end sometimes; FWP runs up the gut sometimes. One sets up the other. It won't be that different, in the end.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Bruiser days are in the past, now it's willie time, who can also be a bruiser, but uses his speed and elusiveness
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #7
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

yea i know we dont need it, its a fact it is in the past now but i will for ever wear my bettis jersey!

Old 08-06-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I want a guy who is able to shut down the end of the game. That does't mean I don't like Willie, I LOVE him. He is the man. I just want a person that can be a change of pace.... One that can pound for a quarter or so, and finish off a game.

Its not that I don't think Willie couldn't do it... its that I DONT WANT HIM to do it. I prefer to keep him stronger for the next game.

I don't even care if we have one, or a stable. Just so that we can finish the game. That is all I ask.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

well this year i think parker will be even better than last year

Old 09-29-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
steagles
Water Boy

Member Number: 524

I voted for "I like them both,gotta move with the times.
I do miss the Bus,I mean a back of that size wih those quick and nimble feet is almost unheard of and undoubtedly there ar a lot of defensive players that were glad to see him head off to Pro Football Hall of Fame immortality,in the near future!But Parker is exciting to watch as well.
Heck,I still miss Barry"bananas"Foster,Franco Harris,Rocky Blier,Frenchy Fuqua and etc.,but time moves on and running backs can't play in top form in their late 30's and beyond,unfortunately.
On the good side,The Bus can still be seen on TV as an analyst so that should help alleviate some of those feelings of missing #36!