Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Cardinals admit facing Steelers is special

Cardinals admit facing Steelers is special
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 26, 2007

TEMPE, Ariz. - There's more to Steelers-Cardinals than just the first meeting of the season of two first-year NFL head coaches, and center Chukky Okobi knows it.
"It's the guys who almost got the job vs. the guys that did," said Okobi, released by the Steelers at the conclusion of training camp and snatched up by Arizona. "And not just the coaches, either.

"I guess it's a grudge match."

Although in this instance, "grudge" is relative.

"I don't think the people that are here are angry. I'm not angry," Okobi said. "I would rather have stayed and played for my hometown team. Russ (Grimm) only played or coached at two places (Pittsburgh and Washington) his whole life. Now, we're out in the desert.
"This isn't necessarily how any of us would have written this story, but it is what it is."

The new-look Cardinals, under first-year head coach and former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, are composed, in part, of nine coaches or staff members and six players with Steelers ties.

Grimm, Whisenhunt's offensive line coach and assistant head coach, was a finalist for the Steelers job before the team opted for Mike Tomlin.

"A decision was made," Grimm said. "You move on.

"Whether it's bragging rights, anything, sure, it means a little more. But when you look at it, my say-so is going to be done during the week. The players are going to decide what happens on the field, not me, not coach Whisenhunt, not anybody else."

Cardinals special teams coach Kevin Spencer, another who made the migration from Pittsburgh to Arizona, has found preparation a challenge, given the circumstances.

"It really struck me Monday and Tuesday, writing up the scouting report," Spencer said. "It was really kind of surreal that you're writing up a report to tell your new team the strengths and weakness of the kids you spent five years with. It was a little weird game-planning against the guys you've been working heart and soul with for five years."

Spencer, with his 11th high school, college or NFL team in a coaching career that began in 1975, is used to change, but he has struggled with this one.

"My kids still say they miss Pittsburgh," he said. "Of all the places that I've been, that was home, the neighbors, the people that you worked with at the Steelers, the community, my kids in school.

"It was a hard move for a lot of reasons. You find yourself sometimes saying 'we' and 'us' when you're referring to them, and it's not really cool to do that, but it was hard to lose that. It really creeps into your soul and your bones and everything else. We were part of a storied franchise, and we won a lot of football games.

"That's not something you dismiss easily."

Added wide receiver/special-teamer Sean Morey, another Pittsburgh-to-Arizona transplant: "It's gonna be fun, because I'll have an opportunity to play against some of my closest friends. I mean, the three years I spent in Pittsburgh were three of the best years I've had in my life.

"The trash-talking has already begun, the texting and the messages. This is going to be a fun game. I'm going to enjoy it. I'm going to enjoy every snap."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_529563.html
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts
Default Re: Cardinals admit facing Steelers is special

"I don't think the people that are here are angry. I'm not angry," Okobi said. "I would rather have stayed and played for my hometown team. Russ (Grimm) only played or coached at two places (Pittsburgh and Washington) his whole life. Now, we're out in the desert.

"This isn't necessarily how any of us would have written this story, but it is what it is."

Okobi talks as if he was traded to a NFL team in the Middle East

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 09-26-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

great article

this game measn so much more to the cardinals than to us. They want to show the rooneys they made the wrong dicisio.

STeelers vs JV STEELERS

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:50 AM   #4
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Okobi talks as if he was traded to a NFL team in the Middle East
its not very often that you hear players say anything remotely good about the team that just cut them. i think it says something about the steelers and the comradery of the team.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:25 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,934 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I can't wait for this game it is going to be good.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #6
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

I like the 4:00 PM start. I think that I may have to drink a few cold ones for the first time this season.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

I kinda feel bad. I was watching the cards last sunday against the Rat Birds and I was really pulling for them to win...but now this Sunday I hope they go down like dogs...O well...

I wonder how many stories ESPN/CBS is going to run on Sunday about the Tomlin-WIz/Grimm match up...
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:39 AM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,517 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
its not very often that you hear players say anything remotely good about the team that just cut them. i think it says something about the steelers and the comradery of the team.
It is nice to hear those words from Okobi if you are a Steelers fan, but if i was in the Cardinals organization or a Cardinals fan I would tell a marginal talent like Okobi don't let the door hit you on the way out and see if the team you really want to play for will take you back.

Imagine the reaction on this board if Alan Rossum said those sorts of comments and claimed he would prefer to be back in Atlanta.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 AM   #9
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
I kinda feel bad. I was watching the cards last sunday against the Rat Birds and I was really pulling for them to win...but now this Sunday I hope they go down like dogs...O well...

I wonder how many stories ESPN/CBS is going to run on Sunday about the Tomlin-WIz/Grimm match up...
Same for me. I kind of feel that Cards are "related" with the Steelers in lot of ways. Was hoping they'd whip the Ratbirds, but they fell short.

Now this week, it's a sad thing to watch so many of our brethren are on the other side of the line, like Civil war or something. But oh well. Gotta move on.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:35 AM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Let's see how "special" the Cards feel when those final seconds are ticking off the clock and the Steelers have Win #4.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote