Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-26-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Steelers' Big Ben, Cards' Whisenhunt hold back

Steelers' Big Ben, Cards' Whisenhunt hold back
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Ben Roethlisberger took the diplomatic route. Ken Whisenhunt lavished praise on the quarterback he coached for three seasons as the Steelers' offensive coordinator.
Neither came within two football fields of saying anything incendiary or controversial about the relationship they had when they were with the Steelers.

It has come across that their final year together was strained, in no small part because of comments Roethlisberger has made since Whisenhunt left Pittsburgh to become head coach of the Arizona Cardinals.

It is a hot topic of discussion this week because the Steelers play the Cardinals at 4 p.m. Sunday.

"We had a good relationship and we haven't really spoken since (Whisenhunt left)," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "No hard feelings either way, I think."
His response to the first question he was asked by reporters who loitered near his locker seemed programmed. It suggested that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin yesterday morning talked to Roethlisberger about more than playing within himself (i.e. not trying to do too much to stick it to Whisenhunt).

Tomlin also might have cautioned Roethlisberger to watch what he said regarding Whisenhunt, lest it become another rallying point for the Cardinals, who have a handful of ex-Steeler coaches and players.

"I'm not going to bash anything about the last year," Roethlisberger said, "or any of the years, because we won a Super Bowl and were very successful."

Roethlisberger is off to the kind of start that suggests last season, when he threw the most interceptions (23) in the NFL, was an aberration.

He has completed nearly 60 percent of his passes and thrown for six touchdowns while being intercepted just once in leading the Steelers to the brink of their first 4-0 start since 1979.

"He looks confident in the pocket and certainly has made some plays moving out of the pocket, throwing down the field," Whisenhunt said, "a lot of the things that make Ben the quarterback that he is. He's playing with confidence."

At the NFL Combine in February, Whisenhunt said he didn't sense that sort of confidence from Roethlisberger in the pocket last season.

He attributed it to the trauma Roethlisberger went through before the season.

Roethlisberger took umbrage at what Whisenhunt said. Asked yesterday why it upset him, Roethlisberger said he "didn't feel it was accurate."

Whisenhunt said that in no way was he taking a shot at Roethlisberger, adding that he simply answered a question he had been asked with candor.

"I've always admired Ben from the way he's been able to fight back from injury," Whisenhunt said. "He's one of the toughest players I've ever been around because of some of the stuff I've seen him go through.

"I understand that Ben maybe thought I was saying some things I maybe shouldn't have said about him, and I understand that and certainly respect that."

Whisenhunt said he is happy that Roethlisberger seems to have rebounded from a disastrous season in 2006.

"I'm glad to see him have that success," Whisenhunt said. "I'm hoping he doesn't have great success against us."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_529594.html
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Steelers' Big Ben, Cards' Whisenhunt hold back

And I bet Whis is glad he didn't take that job in Atlanta.........
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:28 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,358 Times in 2,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
And I bet Whis is glad he didn't take that job in Atlanta.........
You think?

Sounds like Tomlin told Ben to put a lid on the "I like it around here so much more now" comments
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:37 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I don't know....

I think maybe people were reading a little TOO much into what Ben was saying as well.

Tell you one thing though...

Thank goodness Ben isn't a second Joey Porter at the mouth!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 03:34 AM   #5
NateC
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5543

ID Take him Even if he was , A Fiery Leader with no Inabitions.
NateC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,358 Times in 2,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I don't know....

I think maybe people were reading a little TOO much into what Ben was saying as well.

Tell you one thing though...

Thank goodness Ben isn't a second Joey Porter at the mouth!
This Ben quote from today's P-G story apparently confirms Tomlin told Ben to zip it with regard to Whiz comments. Props to Tomlin for getting Ben to cool it.

Roethlisberger and Whisenhunt appeared to have a frosty relationship when they worked together, and it has come out since they separated. Neither said much of anything yesterday to further the feud, but it became so apparent to Tomlin that he had a talk with his quarterback about it yesterday, to make sure Roethlisberger is focused on beating the Cardinals, not Whisenhunt.

"We had a brief talk this morning about that," Roethlisberger said. "I am going to go out and do what I have to do to win the football game ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07270/820885-66.stm

I wonder if the Cowher/Whiz-Ben frostiness ran since 2004 or became an issue only in 2006?

Since this is a Ben/Whiz thread, I will wait to see if someone else posts the linked P-G story with regard to some comments from Faneca about this year's camp being easier than Cowher camps.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
"I certainly didn't mean to offend or upset Ben," Whisenhunt said yesterday. "I was asked a question and tried to answer the question honestly. I've always admired Ben the way he's been able to fight back from injuries. He's one of the toughest players I've ever been around."
I'm trying to figure out why Whiz has to explain himself or apologize to anybody when it comes to Roethlisberger. I can't wait until this week is over.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
Lord Stiller
Banned

Member Number: 7087

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I'm trying to figure out why Whiz has to explain himself or apologize to anybody when it comes to Roethlisberger. I can't wait until this week is over.
Big Ben needs to shut his mouth and focus on the game. He has a tendency to say really stupid things

Quote:
Originally Posted by post gazett
"I think it's being smart," Roethlisberger said. "Last year, I felt like I knew the offense real well. Maybe I tried to do too much, knowing too much. This year, I know more, but I am not forcing it."

Arizona coach Ken Whisenhunt, Roethlisberger's offensive coordinator the previous three seasons, suggested in February that, in hindsight, the coaches likely brought him back too soon from his appendectomy.

Roethlisberger took issue with that and reiterated yesterday he did not believe it to be the case.

"I certainly didn't mean to offend or upset Ben," Whisenhunt said yesterday. "I was asked a question and tried to answer the question honestly. I've always admired Ben the way he's been able to fight back from injuries. He's one of the toughest players I've ever been around."

Roethlisberger and Whisenhunt appeared to have a frosty relationship when they worked together, and it has come out since they separated. Neither said much of anything yesterday to further the feud, but it became so apparent to Tomlin that he had a talk with his quarterback about it yesterday, to make sure Roethlisberger is focused on beating the Cardinals, not Whisenhunt.

"We had a brief talk this morning about that," Roethlisberger said. "I am going to go out and do what I have to do to win the football game ...

"I am not going to bash anything about the last year or any of the years. We won a Super Bowl and were very successful. Of course, I am going to be happy with the system I am in now."

Roethlisberger was asked by the Arizona media yesterday if Whisenhunt was tough on him the way he's pushing Cardinals quarterback Matt Leinart.

"I know what Matt's going through," Roethlisberger answered, laughing.

Whisenhunt, appraised of that remark, asked a reporter in Arizona yesterday, "Is that good or bad? I think Ben had a couple of perfect passer ratings and I think he won a Super Bowl, so if that's a product of it, then that's not bad."

The Steelers' quarterback was harsher earlier this season when speaking about his former coaches compared to new coordinator Bruce Arians.

"We were so predictable -- run on first, run on second, throw on third-and-long -- and that killed us," Roethlisberger told USA Today Sports Weekly in training camp. "Last year, if we took a shot downfield and it was incomplete -- or, heaven forbid, intercepted -- we weren't throwing it again for a long time. And since we knew we were only throwing 15-20 times, we were so careful with doing this and that.

"It will be nice to know that Bruce isn't going to handcuff us.".
Lord Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 AM   #9
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiller View Post
Big Ben needs to shut his mouth and focus on the game. He has a tendency to say really stupid things
You said it, not me....

If I were Whiz, I would take the high road and simply not bother answering questions when it comes to the whole Roethlisberger drama soap opera story.

A simple "next question" would be in his best interests and also make him the bigger man.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 09-27-2007 at 08:58 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,063 Times in 3,065 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
You said it, not me....

If I were Whiz, I would take the high road and simply not bother answering questions when it comes to the whole Roethlisberger drama soap opera story.

A simple "next question" would be in his best interests and also make him the bigger man.
too late.

Quote:
"I know what Matt's going through," Roethlisberger answered, laughing.

Whisenhunt, appraised of that remark, asked a reporter in Arizona yesterday, "Is that good or bad? I think Ben had a couple of perfect passer ratings and I think he won a Super Bowl, so if that's a product of it, then that's not bad."
im suprised ken would even get into it that deep.

this whole "you were bad for me", "no i was good for you" back and forth is kinda dumb. its like having eva longoria leave you and you saying "well your boobs were never big enough for me anyways".

sure looks like you enjoyed playing with them at the time (the ex coaching staff ). sure were accepting those high fives when you were on top (of the football world ).