Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #11
bratsinmybelly
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 2703
Default Re: CHFF: Fast Willie vs Franco

Once again we forget about Rocky Blier. Having a player like that on your team keeps you motivated. Willie had the Bus for his first years and thrived in his first year without him. Can he keep it up? I hope so. Franco had Rocky as an example of what a true hero and leader was. Not that Franco wasn't amazing in his own right but I just think it's worth noting that he did have a truly special player and person to push him during his most productive years.
bratsinmybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #12
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I think that it is always fun to compare some great olde' players with some of our new great players. I like thinking of players like John Stallworth and HInes Ward. Or Carnell Lake and Troy Polomalu.. How can you get any better than that? I know alot of old fans of the Steelers back in the 70's and early 80's are gonna remember Lynn Swann more than Stallworth, because of the "so called Big Plays" that Swann made, but Stallworth was a great reciever for like 12 or so years and Swann was only in the league for like 7 or 8. Just that I liked the way Stallworth always took a backseat to Swann and let him have the limelight without missing a beat.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:59 AM   #13
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,098 Posts

Franco will always be remeberd as one of the all time greats.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #14
Michael Keller
Starter

Member Number: 5736

Slow down, Franco Harris was BY FAR the Steelers greatest offensive weapon in the first half of the Steeler's dynasty untill Bradshaw matured and the rule changes opening up the passing game were effectuated.

Harris was a supreme clutch runner getting the big yards in big games time after time. He added a force to the offense that was much needed as the Steel Curtain was solid and effective beyond comparison.

Without Franco there is probably no dynasty.

Watch the films even now. Franco was a great runner and Parker may become a great runner. I think Willie Parker may become a great runner as I am very impressed with his improvement over the second half of last year and the first few games this year. I also was dissapointed in Parker's performance in the first half of last year.

FRANCO WAS GREAT[, PARKER MAY BECOME GREAT, AND I FOR ONE SURE HOPE SO.

Michael
Michael Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:29 AM   #15
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
Slow down, Franco Harris was BY FAR the Steelers greatest offensive weapon in the first half of the Steeler's dynasty untill Bradshaw matured and the rule changes opening up the passing game were effectuated.

Harris was a supreme clutch runner getting the big yards in big games time after time. He added a force to the offense that was much needed as the Steel Curtain was solid and effective beyond comparison.

Without Franco there is probably no dynasty.

Watch the films even now. Franco was a great runner and Parker may become a great runner. I think Willie Parker may become a great runner as I am very impressed with his improvement over the second half of last year and the first few games this year. I also was dissapointed in Parker's performance in the first half of last year.

FRANCO WAS GREAT[, PARKER MAY BECOME GREAT, AND I FOR ONE SURE HOPE SO.

Michael
I agree. For those who never saw Franco play, it is easy to just look at the #'s and think that Parker was/is close. Franco was the Steelers offense from around 1972 through 1977. Case in point, look at what happened to what most say was the best Steelers team in 1976 when Franco and Rocky were out with injuries for the AFCC Game against the Raiders.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #16
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I didn't mean among Steelers fans, i meant among those who "know". I constantly see all the praise getting piled on the glory backs like Dorsett, Smith, and now LT and Alexander; even Tiki Barber.

But in my eyes, Franco was every bit as good as Walter Payton and Jim Brown. I'm not a fan of ranking these types of guys, because the times they played and the teams they played for are so different. But anyone who would say that Franco was made great by playing for the Steelers (as I've sometimes read) is dead wrong. It's the other way around. The Steelers were made great by having Franco play for them. He is and always will be one of the greatest backs to have ever played the game, and he deserves to be mentioned in the same pantheon as Brown, Payton, Sayers, Smith, Sanders, and the rest. Actually, looking at the top 15 all time, there are only two guys that I'd consider his equal; Payton and Brown. The rest of them, you can have them. I'll take Franco.

How's THAT for hyperbole?

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I didn't mean among Steelers fans, i meant among those who "know". I constantly see all the praise getting piled on the glory backs like Dorsett, Smith, and now LT and Alexander; even Tiki Barber.

But in my eyes, Franco was every bit as good as Walter Payton and Jim Brown. I'm not a fan of ranking these types of guys, because the times they played and the teams they played for are so different. But anyone who would say that Franco was made great by playing for the Steelers (as I've sometimes read) is dead wrong. It's the other way around. The Steelers were made great by having Franco play for them. He is and always will be one of the greatest backs to have ever played the game, and he deserves to be mentioned in the same pantheon as Brown, Payton, Sayers, Smith, Sanders, and the rest. Actually, looking at the top 15 all time, there are only two guys that I'd consider his equal; Payton and Brown. The rest of them, you can have them. I'll take Franco.

How's THAT for hyperbole?

Tom
i hear you. the defensive lanscape evolved all across the nfl to help contain guys like franco, oj, and earl campbell. all of them (along with brown and payton) would be just as good in todays game as they were then, regardless of their teams.