Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-27-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
SteelDogFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5886
Default Dan Dierdorf on Steelers/Cards matchup

Hes got some good points but all in all I think he is not giving the Steelers enough credit for being as good as they are 3-0, or hes giving the Cards to much because I don't think their that good yet.

DAN DIERDORF
(On Arizona Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt facing his former team, Pittsburgh): Both Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm are in Arizona now. They both left Pittsburgh when Mike Tomlin got the (Pittsburgh) job. So yes, it is an interesting sidebar to the story. This is a Cardinal team that if Pittsburgh is going out there thinking that this is some kind of a walk over, they might be mistaken. Arizona is a little bit better than some people might think. They are 1-2, but they have two three-point losses. They lost to Baltimore 26-23 and lost to San Francisco, 20-17. The Cardinals are not a bad football team?

(On Arizona's quarterback situation): They've got this interesting thing going on offense. Whisenhunt has a two-headed quarterback monster. He's got Matt Leinart, who is his starter and obviously the quarterback of the future. But last week he pulled him and put in Kurt Warner. Warner had a Rams flashback and played a phenomenal half of football and turns in a quarterback rating last week of 150. So Whisenhunt is saying that he'll play both. Whisenhunt has said that Warner is more comfortable in a shotgun spread, no huddle offense and that he is more comfortable doing that than Leinart. I'm anxious to find out if he is going to alternate them and go with Leinart for a while, and then go with Warner for a while. It's going to be most interesting to see how he does it?

(On facing Pittsburgh's defense): The one thing I know for sure is that Matt Leinart will see some things from this Pittsburgh defense that he hasn't seen before. Dick LeBeau has them playing really great. They're the number two defense in the NFL so far through the first three games and they're just smothering everybody. Lebeau is a guy that will come from every different direction, with all the zone blitzes, the overloads, the whole nine yards. Who knows where Troy Polamalu is going to be? In that sense Warner is probably the better prepared of the two quarterbacks to face a defense like Pittsburgh's, but it is Leinart's team and we'll see how he does with it?

(On Arizona's familiarity with Pittsburgh): I certainly think Whisenhunt and Grimm, knowing the personnel, knowing what they do, are probably in a better position than most coaches to help out their guys. But the reality is, Dick LeBeau won't do anything predictable. He'll try to change it up as much as he possibly can?

(On Steelers offense): Offensively Pittsburgh is just not that fancy. They're going to come at you. They have really been running the heck out of Willie Parker and he's been responding. They've been giving Willie Parker the ball 25 times a game and he's responded with a five yards per carry average. Ben Roethlisberger has been really efficient. He is off to a phenomenal start -- six touchdowns and one interception. He has just been unbelievably effectiveThe question for the Steelers offensively is going to be whether or not Hines Ward plays? He got hurt in last week's game and he's a big question mark that probably won't be answered until he goes out and warms up before the game?

(On Arizona): It's an intriguing match-up. The Cardinals have a new stadium. They have a whole new look. They have a new coaching staff, and there's some optimism out in the desert that they're headed in the right direction?

(On Pittsburgh): The Steelers must have a little bit of the, 'Hey what about us?' syndrome because when you talk about the AFC all you hear people say is you've got the big three -- New England, San Diego and Indianapolis. Pittsburgh won a Super Bowl two years ago, and in some people's eyes they're a second level team in the AFC. That is probably a huge motivator for them.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
.24lockdown
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 7265
Default Re: Dan Dierdorf on Steelers/Cards matchup

i think we will pull out with a win, but i think they are gonna put up a fight with kurt warner....
Old 09-28-2007, 12:59 AM   #3
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I don't know ….. I think he gives us fair credit. He is a former Cardinals' Player and is simply noting that they might be better than in the past. IMO, Dan Dierdorf is one of the more knowledgeable commentators left on the networks. I thought he got a raw deal on MNF. Dan was much better than any of his replacements at least until Madden (and that is debatable).

Also, Dierdorf has frequently honored the Steelers of the seventies. Specifically, I have heard him mention, on a few occasions, the story of trying to block LC Greenwood in the Pro Bowl. Plus, he is a traditional O'linemen that loves a physical pounding running game. Thus, he has been pretty complimentary of the Steelers in the past when our O'line and the Bus were knocking teams on their butts. For example, there was a MNF Game we were playing against the Bills, and we ran for 200+ yards - he couldn't stop gushing about Dirt Dawson and the O'line that night (might have been the Kordell Stewart option game).

Last edited by OneForTheToe; 09-28-2007 at 01:53 AM.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:19 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,344 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

All I can say is run willie run.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:43 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
I don't know ?.. I think he gives us fair credit. He is a former Cardinals' Player and is simply noting that they might be better than in the past. IMO, Dan Dierdorf is one of the more knowledgeable commentators left on the networks. I thought he got a raw deal on MNF. Dan was much better than any of his replacements at least until Madden (and that is debatable).

Also, Dierdorf has frequently honored the Steelers of the seventies. Specifically, I have heard him mention, on a few occasions, the story of trying to block LC Greenwood in the Pro Bowl. Plus, he is a traditional O'linemen that loves a physical pounding running game. Thus, he has been pretty complimentary of the Steelers in the past when our O'line and the Bus were knocking teams on their butts. For example, there was a MNF Game we were playing against the Bills, and we ran for 200+ yards - he couldn't stop gushing about Dirt Dawson and the O'line that night (might have been the Kordell Stewart option game).
I agree. I didn't feel that his assessment and critique was all that bad. Arizona is an up and coming team, but they still have an OL that resembles swiss cheese and with our pass rush, Leinart and Warner are going to be scurrying around like rats back there. I have always respected Dan Dierdorf as a commentator.

I think STs are going to play a huge role in this game. We cannot give the Cards good field position and allow them to get anywhere near our 30-35 yard line if we want to keep them off the scoreboard. Rackers is a damned good PK.

I think this matchup is going to be kind of like Survivor. Outwit, Outplay, Outlast. On that note, I give a huge advantage to the Steelers coaching staff.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I never cared much for his commentary, but this article seems about right. And, as someone above pointed out, Dierdorf is a Cardinal through and through, being drafted in the second round and playing his entire career with them. It's natural if he comes off as a bit of a homer.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Agree with Dierdorf that it's not going to be a walkover for the Steelers, though with Coach Tomlin's all-consuming emphasis on weekly preparation, I find it hard to believe that they'd go into this game thinking they can phone it in.

Arizona has some real talent, and if they can score early, and if Willie doesn't get going right away or Ben is pressured and has to hurry some throws, they're going to give us a game.

I still like our chances for a win, but I don't think it'll be over by the mid-third quarter.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by .24lockdown View Post
i think we will pull out with a win, but i think they are gonna put up a fight with kurt warner....
A lot of folks seem to think that this is Kurt Warner from 1999 we'll be facing. It isn't. He's a statue back there, and if we get a good rush on him, he'll turn into an interception machine, which is kind of why he's no longer a starting QB. I was more worried about the 49ers game than I am this one.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i heard someone say on the nfl network yesterday that leinart is too worried about his hollywood image than playing football. that he doesnt put in the time he should to learn the playbook.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

One interesting stat for the Cards is the fact they have given up an NFL-best 2 sacks through the first 3 weeks of the season.

Im sure Leinart has been hurried plenty, and maybe even hit a few times but at least they aren't digging themselves into huge holes with long yardage required on 2nd and 3rd down.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote