Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 09-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Ben Roethlisberger Announces Grant to the Phoenix K-9 Unit

Findlay, OH) ? [FONT='Arial','sans-serif']September 27, 2007[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] - Findlay, Ohio native and Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger announced today the second in a series of grants the Ben Roethlisberger Foundation at The Giving Back Fund will be distributing during the 2007 NFL Season. The grant will be distributed to Arizona Search Dog Inc, which was founded by Captain John Dean of the City of Phoenix Fire Department. [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Arizona Search Dog currently has nine dogs that are deployed by the Phoenix Fire Department to locate lost persons and other FEMA Search and Rescue Missions. The Arizona Task Force was deployed to the attacks on the World Trade Center, The Salt Lake City 2002 Winter Olympics, and Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Arizona Search Dog Inc. will use the grant for veterinary care and necessary supplies. ?I formed our group to purchase the dogs and assign them to each handler. That way if the handler needed to leave, the dog remained with the group,? said Captain Dean. ?It also ensures care and support of our dogs during lean budget years. Captain Dean continued, ?While most people agree a good search dog is a valuable resource we are being asked to do more with less and canine programs are not at the top of most priority lists. There are not words to explain the deep appreciation I have to the Ben Roethlisberger Foundation for this grant.?[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']?I feel honored to be able to contribute to this unique group in the City of Phoenix.[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']? said Roethlisberger. ?Across our country, police and firemen risk their lives to protect our communities, and K-9 units provide a critical resource. I hope my contribution can add to their efforts and encourage others to support our police and fire departments and the dogs that assist them.?[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']This NFL season The Ben Roethlisberger Foundation will be distributing grants to Police and Fire Departments in Pittsburgh and [/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']in the cities and surrounding communities of each regular season away opponent for the Steelers in 2007. The Ben Roethlisberger Foundation invited police and fire departments in the 9 cities to submit proposals detailing their needs.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']The Ben Roethlisberger Foundation seeks to provide support for police and fire departments throughout the US and to enhance the quality of life for residents of Findlay, OH and Pittsburgh, PA.[/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']In commenting on why establishing a charitable foundation is important to him, Roethlisberger said, ?I was raised with a grounded perspective on life, to recognize my blessings and help others as best I can. I feel fortunate to establish a foundation committed to servicing our communities in its own unique way. This is something I am sincerely passionate about.? [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']In 2006, the Ben Roethlisberger Foundation distributed its first grant to the Police Department in Findlay Ohio, Ben?s hometown. The grant helped to replace their service dog, Flip, who was tragically shot and killed. The grant also purchased a K-9 ballistic vest for the new dog. [/FONT]

[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']http://www.steelers.com/article/82291/[/FONT]

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger Announces Grant to the Phoenix K-9 Unit

Outstanding Ben.

Take that Vick. Have fun in prison.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
Outstanding Ben.

Take that Vick. Have fun in prison.
I am just cynical enough to wonder if Ben's agent came to Ben and said...

"Hey, Ben. Here is a great idea. Vick has been killing all these dogs. If you do something that is seen to help the community... something with animals or dogs in particular, you will have an even better reputation. That way, we can sell your image even more."

Thus... the police dog giveaway was born.

And I look at that and say... Good for you Ben... help the community, help yourself, and hopefully make enough money in endorsements that you can afford to not ask for a MASSIVE salary that kills us in cap space.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I am just cynical enough to wonder if Ben's agent came to Ben and said...

"Hey, Ben. Here is a great idea. Vick has been killing all these dogs. If you do something that is seen to help the community... something with animals or dogs in particular, you will have an even better reputation. That way, we can sell your image even more."

Thus... the police dog giveaway was born.

And I look at that and say... Good for you Ben... help the community, help yourself, and hopefully make enough money in endorsements that you can afford to not ask for a MASSIVE salary that kills us in cap space.
Ben's foundation donated the money for a new dog in Findley, Ohio months ago in the offseason. I'd have to do the research to see if it happened before the Vick thing blew up. I'm thinking it did and then it just snowballed into a great idea for this season.......but I can't be sure.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
stillers4me
Living Legend

update.......the Findley, Ohio police dog was shot and killed in November of last year and Ben donated the new dog in December, 2006.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS17/612220406

Verdict............... our Ben has a heart of gold!!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 09-28-2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:56 PM   #6
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Ben is very much an animal lover - he's said so in a number of interviews, particularly early on in his career.

No cynicism needed here -- he may have started the charitable foundation as much for tax purposes as for its ability to do good, but there is no question in my mind that his heart is sincere when it comes to his love for animals and his genuine desire to help out.
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

Well done Ben.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
update.......the Findley, Ohio ploce dog was shot and killed in November of last year and Ben donated the new dog in December, 2006.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS17/612220406

Verdict............... our Ben has a heart of gold!!
Ok...

The Agent had GREAT foresight!!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:59 PM   #9
stillers4me
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Ok...

The Agent had GREAT foresight!!
Good answer!!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

maybe the agent already knew vick was fighting dogs and was like hey i have this really good idea..lol...

seriously though its a great thing to help out these policemen and firemen, b/c we all know that the economy sucks and that every state is making cutbacks or in Michigan's case getting ready to shut down!

Good job !!!

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote