Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 09-28-2007, 02:53 PM   #21
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,032 Times in 387 Posts
Default Re: Romo asking for $30M guaranteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
I have to think the Cowboys are going to balk at that $30 million figure.
If it were any owner besides Snyder or Jones, I would be inclined to fully agree. With Jones, ya never know, though.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #22
alittlejazzbird
Team Captain

Member Number: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
If it were any owner besides Snyder or Jones, I would be inclined to fully agree. With Jones, ya never know, though.
You gotta point there, 76....imagine how happy Ben will be if Jones is loony enough to actually pay it!
alittlejazzbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #23
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlejazzbird View Post
You gotta point there, 76....imagine how happy Ben will be if Jones is loony enough to actually pay it!
Well Ben would be wishing his ass on the first plane out of pittsburgh. I dont see the steelers giving ben that type of money regardless what the market shows
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #24
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
the best thing roger goodell could do at this point is put a contract structure for nfl players similar to the way the nba has theirs. How long will it take before a player gets a rod type of money?
You can bet it will be addressed at the next CBA meeting. It is ridiculously out of hand...especially rookie salaries. Russell better be Superbowl good right out of the gate, or he is in for a rude awakening from Raider Nation after what he put us through this year.
silver & black is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #25
silver & black
Team President

Quote:
Like peyton manning. What do you think polian would do if manning went into his office today and said I want 100 million in guarantees. You are backed into a corner and have no choice. In my opinion the biggest thing wrong with the nfl today is there is no rookie salary cap.
I might be wrong about this, but I believe there is a rookie cap. They get around it with option bonuses, signing bonuses and roster bonuses.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #26
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
You can bet it will be addressed at the next CBA meeting. It is ridiculously out of hand...especially rookie salaries. Russell better be Superbowl good right out of the gate, or he is in for a rude awakening from Raider Nation after what he put us through this year.
espically after acting like a greedy spoiled brat. Drafting a quarterback number one is always risky, but when it is the raiders and with their luck with drafting quarterbacks in the first round it's like playing russian roulette. I'm sure there are raider fans that arent over todd marijuaivich
Old 09-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #27
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
I might be wrong about this, but I believe there is a rookie cap. They get around it with option bonuses, signing bonuses and roster bonuses.
whats funny is the nba has a great rookie cap that prevents any hold outs. While the nfl has a great policy that wont let underclassman enter the draft until year 3 after graduation. Could you imagine if both leagues would combine the smarts in this. Odds are your boy Jamarcus Russell would be starting right now
Old 09-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,911 Times in 3,497 Posts

Quote:
I think the first round salary signings are slotted, meaning the #15 pick almost always will get less than the #10 pick (which is what messed up Brady Quinn after everyone missed his view that he was really a #1 pick who happened to slide to #22 but still should get top 5 pick money.) That is why you always seem to have the delay in first round signings as someone needs to go first and set the market price that year.

After that, initial contracts for first round picks go 4 (Troy) to 5 (Ben) years to amortize the signing bonus.

The NFL needs to go to a separate cap for rookie signigs but that would hurt the agents and top players who (along with Goodell) are the colllective masters' voice for Gene Upshaw and the sham union called the NFLPA, which does nothing for rank & file players or retirees.

I believe no top shelf QB has ever left his team in the prime of his career since the cap came in, but someone soon is going to demand a bust the bank contract that some mid- to small market owner will refuse to pay. IMO Ben & the Rooneys are on the short list of QB-owner tandems for which that may occur.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:25 PM   #29
silver & black
Team President

Quote:
espically after acting like a greedy spoiled brat. Drafting a quarterback number one is always risky, but when it is the raiders and with their luck with drafting quarterbacks in the first round it's like playing russian roulette. I'm sure there are raider fans that arent over todd marijuaivich

I'm one of those Raider fans... Marinovich was a disaster. He is the reason that Davis avoids drafting QB's like the plague. For the Raiders to step up and draft another QB at #1 shows that Davis knows what the greatest need on this team is.

His nickname through this this whole debacle was JaGreedy.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #30
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
[/B]

I'm one of those Raider fans... Marinovich was a disaster. He is the reason that Davis avoids drafting QB's like the plague. For the Raiders to step up and draft another QB at #1 shows that Davis knows what the greatest need on this team is.

His nickname through this this whole debacle was JaGreedy.
I'll give you raider fans credit. I wouldnt be as forgiving if we had a player hold out through week one.