Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Lets take back some of those Cowboy SB's too!

I see your ESPN Page 2 know-nothing hacks and raise you a repeat Super Bowl winning coach - ie a guy who actually knows what goes on in the game, as opposed to guys who just wish they knew.

http://www.wfan.com/

A transcript of an interview Jimmy Johnson recently gave to WFAN.

Quote:
Q: How about the spying thing Jimmy. You're a coach does that bother you what Belichick did?

JJ: Oh please. I've said it on our show. Eighteen years ago a scout for the chiefs told me what they did, and he said what you need to do is just take your camera and you go and zoom in on the signal caller and that way you can sync it up. The problem is that if they're not on the press box side you can't do it from the press box, you have to do it from the sideline. This was 18 years ago.

Q: You think the NFL came down too hard on them?

JJ: No, no, I said it on the show. He was wrong for doing it for the simple reason that the league knew this was going on not ust in New England but around the league. And the league sent out the memorandum to all of the teams saying you cannot do this. And os that's when Bill Belichick was wrong. After he got the memorandum saying don't do it any more, he did it.

Q: Did you ever steal signals?

JJ: Oh in a heartbeat, yeah. Yes I did.

Q: Via video, Jimmy? Or no?

JJ: Oh yeah, I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league. Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you're going to play the other team the second time around. But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace.

Q: But did you do it by taping the signal caller?

JJ: Yeah.

Q: Oh you did.

JJ: That's what I'm saying. I was saying one of Marty Schottenheimers scouts, Mark Hatley, who has passed away now, Mark told me that's how they did it, and Howard Mudd their offensive line coach with Kansas City, who now coaches for Tony Dungy, he was the best in the entire league at stealing signals.

Q: Where'd you put your guy who was videotaping? Where was he?

JJ: My guy was up with my camera crew in the press box. So you'd just put an extra camera up with your camera crew in the press box who zoomed in on the signal callers. That's the best way to do it, but anyway you can't always do that because the press box camera crew might be on the same side as the opposing team. If they're on the same side as the opposing team that's when you need to do it from the sideline.

Q: Also with some operations and some teams they have equipment set up within the stadium so they can just run it ack and check what's going on during the game anyway.

JJ: Oh I'll tell you [laughing] some of the stuff that goes on it's almost comical.

Q: Jimmy don't you think using contraptions like that goes against the spirit of football?

JJ: Well that's why the league put in that you can't use any electronic equipment, during the game, locker room, press box, sideline, this type of thing. They ruled against it and again that's why Bill Belichick was wrong.

Q: How much of an advantage would it give them?

JJ: Well you know Bradshaw and I had a talk back and forth on this. I did it a few times and then I stopped doing it because I didn't think we got much out of it to be honest with you. But games are so close... If it gives you one single play in the ballgame it might be the difference. But again, he was wrong for doing it after the memorandum was sent out by the league, because the league knew that other teams were doing it. And so... it was a commonplace thing though.

Looks like the Angel Tony Dungy employs a guy with a less than clean reputation in this area - i've seen plenty of Howard Mudd on my 3GTG DVD's.

Possibly the best bit of the interview is the stunned shock when the hosts toss up a nice juicy ball just waiting to be hit out of the park (just like every other no-mark ex-footballer, current footballer, or current rival coach has) - and he laughs at them.

18 years ago teams were taping signals and only now do the league find a scapegoat (a stubborn scapegoat nonetheless).

This should be a nice wake up call to all those who don't understand the potential advantage (if any) the Patriots gained from this practice.....everyone did it...and until very recently everyone has been doing it.

So, to those who have been looking for a way to weasel out of being beat up and owned by the Patriots over the last 6 years (im thinking big mouth cry-baby extraordinairre Hines 'Cheap shot' Ward)......you got beat straight up.

And to all those fans who grabbed this as an opportunity to attempt to tarnish the Patriots Dynasty (worse than Seahawks fans...at least they had a genuine cause for complaint)...I pray you have learnt something.

Have a nice day.
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,108 Times in 4,597 Posts
Default Re: Lets take back some of those Cowboy SB's too!

jimmy johnson is your defense?????

dont worry, its not needed. nick saban has already cleared your precious coaches name.

(talk about desperate) jj voiced his lame opinion 2 days after spygate broke. it was apologetic indeed. next time try something more relevant before you preen.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydfan4life View Post
But mom, lil' billy said all the kids smoke dope. I was just doin' what everybody else was doin'.

Yeah, okay, that makes it all better now for me. Yeah right!

The Patriots are still cheaters, but it's okay because lil' jimmy said everybody cheats, right?

Whatever!
Ah.

But Jimmy says everyone does it.

And that trumps anything that douche bag Hines Ward, or the morons who reside as ESPN can claim.

Yes, siree.

Your Steelers are just as big as 'cheaters' as the Patriots.

The Steelers can go back to being the gutless chokers that us Patriots fans always had them down as.

Serial chokers, no less.

They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Ah.

And that trumps anything that douche bag Hines Ward, or the morons who reside as ESPN can claim.

Yes, siree.

The Steelers can go back to being the gutless chokers that us Patriots fans always had them down as.

Serial chokers, no less.

Why are you trying to validate your sorry @$$ cheatin' team on a Pittsburgh Steelers Fan Board then? Gutless isn't the word I would choose. Ever notice how at least one of your players limps or is carried off the field every time the two meet?
Choked? We've been to 6 SB's and won 5. Patriots have been to 5 SB's and won 3. Now you tell me boy wonder, which has the better winning percentage in the Big Game?
Yeah, we've had our share of playoff losses, but at least we were there.., and many more times than you punks. Let's talk about a coule of them, shall we?

The Patriots won convincingly in 2004 AFCCG, but now we know how ("Let's Roll Video Tape!"). The 2001 AFCCG was LOST on special teams by the Steelers more than anything. You probably don't remember that game though since you didn't start following your new team until two weeks later (Before that you hated the Yankees for CONSISTENTLY breaking your heart since birth). So I guess it's understandable that you want to talk smack for the first time in Boston history. It's been a terrific last few years for Boston Sports so congratulations..., but success in Sports is nothing new to Pittsburgh. I guess what I'm trying to say is, "How 'bout a piping hot cup of STFU."

Drink and Enjoy.

Last edited by NJarhead; 09-28-2007 at 10:50 PM.
NJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,477 Times in 2,387 Posts

Jimmy Johnson? Man you really are grabbing for straws.

Get to know them, get to love them. They will be by anything they won or will win under belicheat.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by MACH1; 09-28-2007 at 10:43 PM.
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,108 Times in 4,597 Posts

Quote:
Ah.

Yes, siree.

Serial chokers, no less.

BACK UP EVERYBODY!.... ("the partys over" )

.....here comes litp with another boatload of excuses to try and remove the tarnish and asterisk from the cherished "patriots legacy".

wow. litp seems to hate hines ward so much im begenning to think he wants him....

....on his team.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:

Serial chokers, no less.

You mean the 3 fans the Pats had before 2001?

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #8
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

[QUOTE=tony hipchest;300760]BACK UP EVERYBODY!.... ("the partys over" )

.....here comes litp with another boatload of excuses to try and remove the tarnish and asterisk from the cherished "patriots legacy".

QUOTE]

Old 09-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #9
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290

Wow to think I thought Nigel was different...But more and more he proves he is just an arrogant SOB like the rest of the Pats fan base....Nobody cares about your Pats on this site...If you think that way about the Steelers then go to a Pats board....I swear all you do is knock the Steelers anymore.....Its a tired act really.......Plus I don't ever reading in that crap article that the Steelers stole signs and video taped them...I have stated before that I didn't think the whole spy gate saga played a huge in part in the Pats winning Super Bowls but still it was against the rules and the NFL even warned Belichick.....

But like typical Pats arrogant fashion they think they're above the NFL and still went on video taping signals......So they deserved to be punished and really got off lightly.....
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 08:13 AM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
Wow to think I thought Nigel was different...But more and more he proves he is just an arrogant SOB like the rest of the Pats fan base....Nobody cares about your Pats on this site...If you think that way about the Steelers then go to a Pats board....I swear all you do is knock the Steelers anymore.....Its a tired act really.......Plus I don't ever reading in that crap article that the Steelers stole signs and video taped them...I have stated before that I didn't think the whole spy gate saga played a huge in part in the Pats winning Super Bowls but still it was against the rules and the NFL even warned Belichick.....

But like typical Pats arrogant fashion they think they're above the NFL and still went on video taping signals......So they deserved to be punished and really got off lightly.....
Seeing as we are throwing personal shots again - i'll take the opportunity to label you one of the most simple minded people I have come across on this board.

I have no idea why people with your mentality have the complete inability to differentiate between what happens in the Blast Furnace and what happens elsewhere - you think I really give a fcuk what your opinion is of my opinion on the Steelers?

No.

Most other people seem to at least be able to keep the smack team related, but no, yet again B@G32 has to take it personally - getting his little panties in a twist because someone dare respond to his team getting smacked from the Steelers forum, to the NFL forum to the Blast furnace in a similar fashion.

Your legacy from the 70's is a tainted as anything you can throw at mine - heck even your most recent SB 'win' has a huge asterisk - so go ahead chant 'Belicheat' to make yourselves feel better - even put some asterisk next to ours if it makes you feel better.

You don't like that?

I don't care.

The inane stupidity of the mob mentality that exists on this board (that you can now happily consider yourself a part of) doesn't seem to see a correlation between starting up tens of anti-Patriots threads and a Patriots fan who is willing to give plenty back.

And you think 'all I do is knock the Steelers'?

You are a joke - i've given the Steelers D plenty of props, I rate Ben higher than alot of Steeler fans and take my hat off to FWP as being an elite RB (again, even if some Steeler fans can't do the same)

How about showing me all those anti-Steeler threads i've started up?

You can't.

So be it.

You want to take it personally and call me names just because I gave your team some sh*t?

Go right ahead.